Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suffice it to say, today wasn't a good day. Bought a new house with a 3 car garage, that should be big enough to handle two cars right? NOOOOOOOOO. While backing out I manage to completely destroy the passenger side rear view mirror. Luckily there was no other damage and no, for some reason the mirror did not rotate upon impact. I have to assume that because of angles and the fact it was a somewhat slow speed hit, that the mirror wasn't in a position to rotate and save itself.

So, anybody have any idea what one of these costs brand new?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Bummer. :( Been there, done worse, and no further details will be forthcoming.

It's amazing how narrow garages are these days. I don't see how they sell modern homes to people with modern cars...

·
Registered
737 Posts
OP, sorry to hear that, it always hurts when we do it ourselves. You'll feel much better once you get her fixed up. No idea what it will cost, though.

Bummer. :( Been there, done worse, and no further details will be forthcoming.

It's amazing how narrow garages are these days. I don't see how they sell modern homes to people with modern cars...
Agreed. My house was built with a one door, two car garage. But the developers totally ****ed that up by placing the small staircase that leads from inside the garage to the house down one side (rather than up against the back wall).... totally negating that space. I'm going to have to rotate the stairwell to maximize space. And someday plan on buying a four post lift (luckily my garage is tall enough).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sucks! I complained for a while about our 2-car 1-door garage because after we had our home built I regretted not making it wider. I thought that both my car and the wife's Q5 wouldn't fit. But, once we cleaned it all out we managed to get them in and as long as we're careful we don't bump the doors into the walls or the car next to us. We just had to buy a shed for the junk we cleaned out...which was probably more expensive than if we had just made the stupid thing larger when we built, but...hindsight and all that jazz.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I angst over this all the time. To get both cars comfortably in our 2 car 1 door garage, I have to park the CS as far to the right as possible. I have to be extremely careful as the mirror has only 1-2 inch clearance. The CS is waaay wider than my ex-911 that I used to park there.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Suffice it to say, today wasn't a good day. Bought a new house with a 3 car garage, that should be big enough to handle two cars right? NOOOOOOOOO. While backing out I manage to completely destroy the passenger side rear view mirror. Luckily there was no other damage and no, for some reason the mirror did not rotate upon impact. I have to assume that because of angles and the fact it was a somewhat slow speed hit, that the mirror wasn't in a position to rotate and save itself.

So, anybody have any idea what one of these costs brand new?
I can seem to find a complete assembly price but here are two links to check out, I can't believe the cost of the glass, good luck!

OUTSIDE MIRRORS for 2013 Porsche Boxster

2013 Porsche Boxster Parts - Porsche OEM Parts - Genuine Factory Parts Accessories - Wholesale

Reactions: bybybmw

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
61 Posts
I smashed my 944 mirror once. Actually some of the parts were re-usable. I had a body shop repair/repaint the mirror housing. Whole repair was about $250.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You guys in the US don't know what a narrow garage is. You should see some of the excuses they build in this country and have the nerve to call them garages.:)

article-2327440-19E37782000005DC-209_634x442.jpg

OP, I feel for you. Nothing worse than when you damage your P&G yourself.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You guys in the US don't know what a narrow garage is. You should see some of the excuses they build in this country and have the nerve to call them garages.:)

View attachment 64079

OP, I feel for you. Nothing worse than when you damage your P&G yourself.
Thats crazy. You almost have to push that in on a dolly!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That's why I buy a 3 car garage for every 1 car I own. :D

Reactions: bybybmw

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Mine is a self-inflicted wound. We had the garage added to our house in, hmm, 1994? I was given a choice of 8' or 9' doors and chose the former, to maximize the non-door part of the front wall (I was thinking about strength). At the time, I had the Tiger, I drove a Toyota pick-up, and my wife had a VW GTI... all narrow. I had no idea how much wider the cars I'd be choosing from would eventually be.

LH mirror is more of less OK...:(

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I feel your pain. My 2 car garage is 85 years old...and it is tiny. I knocked the bumper off the back end of my Lexus backing out....and I have a rear view camera and parking sensors. The parking sensors are always going off when I back out anyway so I became desensitized to it. $1300 bucks to repair. $1000 deductible so the insurance claim was $300.

Now it shows up on my insurance record as an accident with no qualifier. I should have paid the whole $1300 bucks.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thought folks might find an update interesting. At this point, parts alone are going to be around $1200, and there is still the painting of the mirror covers and installation/labor that isn't priced yet.
There is no way a rear view mirror should be this expensive. It makes me wonder if I want to chance keeping it. I can't afford that kind of hit with any frequency.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Two car garage . . . two garage doors. :taunt: One of the garage doors broke a spring Friday night and only one car was trapped.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I figured our that it was better for me to back into my garage so I could use the mirrors to judge clearance on the right. Sorry. Sh happens. At least it can be fixed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
$1200 is pretty spendy for just a mirror with no signal or blind spot warning! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thought folks might find an update interesting. At this point, parts alone are going to be around $1200, and there is still the painting of the mirror covers and installation/labor that isn't priced yet. There is no way a rear view mirror should be this expensive. It makes me wonder if I want to chance keeping it. I can't afford that kind of hit with any frequency.
YIKES!:helpme: I think I'll leave mine as-is. Mine was pulled somewhat adrift but no damage to the paint, etc.; the dealer "put it back in place", no charge :))) but I do notice a squeak coming from it from time to time, I think an internal mounting tab must be broken or otherwise damaged.

That must be $200 per square inch on these undersized mirrors (ironically, if they were bigger, I'd be more likely to whack them). It puts into perspective the $500-per cost if I ever have to replace the Talbot Berlin accessory mirrors on my Tiger, which I thought outrageous.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I can certainly relate to the people talking about their "2 car, 1 door" garages. When I bought my house, I looked at the big wide door and thought "Excellent... 2 car garage!"

After we moved in, I quickly resigned myself to thinking of it as a "1 and a half" car garage. I mean sure... you can fit two in there if there's nothing else in it and both cars are against the walls and you're only opening doors to the middle... but that doesn't hold water for me. I use the garage as normal people would, and have only ever parked one car in it.

I won't make that mistake again though. If I ever move... and I may not.. but if I do... I'll be damned sure I can park at least 2 cars in the garage with room to get out on both sides and still store stuff against the walls! :D

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Our two car garage is quite large for two cars but I really need someone to come out and take a look at the garage frame. I think there's a large magnet that's pulling my wife's car towards it every time she pulls in and out of the garage. The scrapes on right side of my wife's car leads me to believe so. :taunt:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts