Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Planet-9

I was unfortunate enough to fall into a massive pothole on the highway about two weeks ago. (New Jersey roads are terrible) I had started to hear a clunk when hitting small bumps from front driver side strut, but apart from the occasional clunk, nothing felt off and the car felt balanced.

Yesterday, i took a sharp left turn, and the same wheel fell into a small pothole this time making a LOUD clunk/clang. I made it home slowly with plently of clangs and clunks and pops, jacked up the car and found this:

Spring seems to have broken off right at the bottom, not shortening the spring at all.

Car is on jack-stands since. I'd like to hear some opinions. Would you say this is safe to drive? Is there a significant risk of the spring slipping out? Even with the spring fully extended while on the jackstands, it doesn't move around very much. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Based on the fact that these springs support the weight of the car I would say that it is not safe to drive with a broken spring. I recently upgraded my suspension and have 4 of these sitting in my garage. If you are interested I can give you one for free. Just pay for shipping. We would need to confirm part numbers, since mine are from 987.2 Cayman.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on the fact that these springs support the weight of the car I would say that it is not safe to drive with a broken spring. I recently upgraded my suspension and have 4 of these sitting in my garage. If you are interested I can give you one for free. Just pay for shipping. We would need to confirm part numbers, since mine are from 987.2 Cayman.
Thank you olegd for the kind gesture! Is what you have the entire strut, or just the spring?

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
You should replace both fronts so that they are balanced.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, quick update. Decided to give it a test drive and see how it felt, and I did not feel the slightest difference. I also noticed that the piece of broken spring was thoroughly rust throughout, making me believe that the spring was busted the whole time, and only dislodged itself with the pothole. I drove it to work today and it seems fine, but regardless I am planning on finding a replacement part on ebay that seems in good enough condition.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
nice work guys...faith in humanity restored!!

Reactions: randoltaveras
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.