Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a South Jersey SCCA Autocross on 07/29/17 a worker was struck by an off-course corvette.
The SCCA does have a waiver and also has insurance.

I was told not to post pictures by the staff because of insurance reasons, no idea why it matters.
I'm pretty sure they will hear about it regardless.

but what i'd like to know is how would the person with the broken leg go about paying medical bills?

I read some info on PCA's liability in that it covers its members should something happen. (i think i read that right)

I've never seen this happen before, and really never expected it.

I try my best to pay attention when working the course.

I was indeed surprised to see that he was allowed to continue his runs the rest of the day dispite going 4 wheels off twice that day.

The police, ambulance, and fire truck were all on seen. I asked the driver if he was given any citation because i seen he was handed a piece of paper. he said no but was asked to give his insurance information.
This may just be procedure but i'm not sure.

Does anyone know if the injured person would be responsible for themselves. I didnt' get the chance to ask the SCCA directly.

·
Registered
496 Posts
SCCA has the best medical coverage of any racing club. There is a long thread ( Apexspeed dot com) written by a driver (started over 2 years ago) who crashed at an SCCA event. The insurance by SCCA took care of everything to date (well over a million so far). The driver had severe brain trauma and is still unable to do many normal daily activities due to brain and eye sight issues from the crash. When he crashed and was loaded into the ambulance, a race official handed his parents a card/pamphlet with the policy info and phone numbers and told his parents not to worry about the medical bills, that the insurance would take care of it; which it has thus far.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was involved in a similar incident and PCA took care of the driver and worker. I personally think autocross events with course workers standing and running to pick up cones with the course hot, is one of the most dangerous car enthusiast hobbies. I stuck to hpde and never looked back.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. this is good to know. I also just herd that NNJR had a car totaled this past Sunday. Hit a Light pole. This is the exact reason i've never raced at the meadowlands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.