Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the Cayman broken plug adventure continues. pics enclosed include the jack screw I made to remove the screw extractor. Success! Removed it today. Next pic is the remains of the plug in the cylinder head. This is what I’m trying to get out. Last pic is what I’m going to try next. Snap-On fluted extractor and homemade deep 5/8” socket to get down close to the base of the plug To extract it. Indy has not called, probably doesn’t want to do the job, so I’ll forge on ahead. Hopefully if I can get the fluted end into the plug stopping at the blue tape, it may come out. Pics are Wish me luck…..

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought about this some more. The drill for the bluepoint extractor is 11/32”. If I can get a right angle drill in the opening, I’ll drill out more of the plug to relieve the internal stress. I’ll close the valves, grease the drill bit try and capture the shavings, vacuum out as best as I can and then blow out any chips with air, try the fluted easy out. That’s the plan anyway….

·
Registered
88 Posts
You're a better man than I, caymanbob75. I started a plug replacement on my 2011 Cayman a couple weekends ago. The old plugs were TIGHT!!! I could barely get the first one to budge. With this thread in mind, I put everything back together, tiptoed away, and made an appointment with a local indie. I hate hiring people to do things I should be able to do (and like doing) myself, but sometimes that's just the way it goes.

Anyway, I'm rooting for you! Hope the final extraction goes as planned and you soon put this obstacle in your rearview mirror.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
George, I know how you feel. If I had done more research on this issue I probably would have done the same. The car was running great before I started this project, should have left well enough alone. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I imagine Indy mechanic would cringe a bit thinking about how to approach the job. AFAIC, Porsche really screwed the pooch with this engineering disaster….

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as an aside for the hell of it, I e-mailed Porsche in Germany about this problem and what a lousy engineering and design issue working anywhere on this engine is. I actually got a response saying someone from the USA Porsche distributor ship will be contacting me. I’m not holding my breath that Porsche would actually help me out, but interesting regardless.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
George,
could you ask your mechanic what he meant by “familiar scenario”? Has he seen this before and has he made the repair? Not much info on u tube or any other Porsche websites I visited to find a reasonable solution short of pulling the engine to effect repairs. I’d be interested to hear what his take on this is. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
88 Posts
George,
could you ask your mechanic what he meant by “familiar scenario”? Has he seen this before and has he made the repair? Not much info on u tube or any other Porsche websites I visited to find a reasonable solution short of pulling the engine to effect repairs. I’d be interested to hear what his take on this is. Thanks, Bob
He didn’t say anything more than that he’d had many Porsches put up a fight when trying to remove the plugs. His only specific comment was that the job tends to go more smoothly when one is diligent about the 4 years/40,000 miles schedule. I bought my car about a year ago with around 60k miles on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update. After much thought and hand wringing, gonna try the following. Purchase a left hand drill bit (11/32”) to drill the shell so the straight fluted easy out will fit. A machinist friend is making a drill guide that will fit in the spark plug access hole to guide the bit straight when drilling. Have a right angle drill that should work in that tight space. Hoping drilling out more of the shell will relieve tension so it’ll back out. My nephew who has Down’s syndrome keeps asking me for a rode in the “porch”. Gotta fix this car so I can take him for a thrill ride. Don‘t want to disappoint him. Also, happy Veterans Day to all who served. I did 3 tours of Nam on a carrier from 1966-1969.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Too cute, get that “Porch” going!

And thanks for your service—while you are waiting on the guide, go see the new Top Gun. I liked it a lot.

Shawn in VA (USA)

·
Registered
191 Posts
So... Thinking a little outside the box....

Before you start drilling...
Any merit in turning over the engine by hand to close the exhaust valves but leave the intakes open.
Then hook up the shop vac exhaust to the intake throttle body.... Creating positive pressure in the cylinder you are working on that will help blow the metal chips out of the spark plug hole....

Just a thought.... getting just one chip in there that won't blow out could cause bore scoring....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had every intention of doing that Snips. Haven’t the foggiest on how to bring piston to tdc. Nothing on u tube or any Porsche websites. Took cover off behind seats, no way to get a socket anywhere near the crank that I could see. Before I do any drilling, I’ll grease up the bit and slowly start to drill. Back off the bit, vacuum out any chips, continue careful drilling. Drill stop secured at top of the bit to insure it doesn’t poke through the plug shell into the piston. If the shell does come out, I’ll vacuum out the combustion chamber, send a camera down the hole for inspection. If it looks clean, chase the threads, install new plug and fire it up. That’s the plan anyway. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
191 Posts
You have a manual trans in your Cayman?
If so, pull all your remaining plugs, put the trans in 6th gear, jack the car up and lock one wheel from turning, rotate the opposite wheel by hand....
With the plugs out, no compression resistance, you should be able to rotate the engine by hand to get to TDC.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PDK. Not gonna pull remaining plugs until I get this shell out. If I’m successful then I may take the other three plugs out on the passenger side. Good advice though…

·
Administrator
1,509 Posts
I had every intention of doing that Snips. Haven’t the foggiest on how to bring piston to tdc. Nothing on u tube or any Porsche websites. Took cover off behind seats, no way to get a socket anywhere near the crank that I could see.
Are any of the other pully nuts available (alternator, AC compressor)? With the plugs out using one of those would probably be adequate to turn the engine over. Problem is - checking TDC - you need someone with a chopstick stuck in the hole watching it move out.. and ALWAYS turn it in the direction of engine rotation. I understand the reluctance to try removing more plugs - are you hoping to have your shop do those? If not - might as well determine if any of the others will break also.

·
Registered
2006 S Carrara White
68 Posts
You can get a socket on the crank pulley from the inside access panel, not the easiest location, but you can do it. I was able to get my breaker bar and torque wrench in to get the pulley off/on so I could install the underdrive unit. With difficult to remove plugs I find if you start to remove them and they get tight, stop, spray with a penetrating oil (I prefer Kroil, it is the best IMO), wait a few mins and try some more, repeat as needed. The old Ford 3V plugs were famous for this (that was the factory procedure) as they didn't use anti seize and were known for breaking. They even make kits to drill them out when they break ;)

I did this at 60,000 miles on my 2006 987.1S, no issues.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts