Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Actually part 12 is the problem. Those U shaped clips , the lower one in particular, cause the cable to bend too sharply and that ultimately causes the break.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Darn. My first Porsche, bought 3 months ago. 2007 Cayman S, 66k miles when I bought it, now 67k and my shifter cable just broke too. No idea if it's been replaced before.... probably, since when inspected, the car's computer had reported that it'd been redlined 8000 times. Add me to the list. Guess I'll order the better version and hope it holds up.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Go Numeric Racing Cables!!! Don't question it, just do it!!!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Go Numeric Racing Cables!!! Don't question it, just do it!!!
Agree, but the dilemma we all face with this decision is availability. When your's break - you're stuck. Going OEM is pretty easy and quick - just go to the nearest dealer. With Numeric, you've got to order it and wait. You could be down for a couple days (or more) waiting for parts. Then, if you're not a DIYer, you've got to find someone willing to fit and adjust them.

My car was a DD under warranty, so it went by flatbed to the dealer. And I got a loaner.
My warranty was about over, and I didn't want to be stuck in that situation again. So I got the Numeric cables - just to have. Since their facility was only about 10 miles from my office, I drove over one day to look at them and decided to buy a set as spares. They were having a P9 special (10%) off.
One weekend I decided to preemptively do the swap. No sense waiting for the eventual failure.
Don't forget to get that special wrench - its hard for anyone to reach those large fastening nuts without one. Most wrenches large enough to accommodate those nuts (IIRC about 22mm) are too big to work in that limited space. Its very important to get those nuts on tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Darn. My first Porsche, bought 3 months ago. 2007 Cayman S, 66k miles when I bought it, now 67k and my shifter cable just broke too. No idea if it's been replaced before.... probably, since when inspected, the car's computer had reported that it'd been redlined 8000 times. Add me to the list. Guess I'll order the better version and hope it holds up.
I think I'm in the exact same situation. I bought my first Porsche 6 weeks ago, a 2007 Cayman S with 40k miles. Right now it's in my driveway, stuck in 2nd gear. I've already replaced the clutch (though, fortunately, without needing a new flywheel). Getting it towed to the shop tomorrow.

I've been using it as my daily driver, but I've put fewer than 2500 miles. Of course when I start feeling I've been unlucky, I remind myself that I have a Porsche and I start grinning again.

When friends asked me if I had been planning on buying it for a while (a politely oblique query of one's mental stability vis-a-vis middle age, but I forgive them), I would say "yes, for 40 years." I remember sitting in the dentist waiting room with my mom in College Park, MD as a 12 year old, immersing myself in the Car and Driver and Motortrend magazine issues of the previous six months. I distinctly remember reading about cars like the 911 Turbo and later the 911 SC from these days.

I hate not having my car. And I don't like having to spend this money. But it will take much, much more, oh so much more, for me to sour on Porsche. He'll, I've just started pronouncing it correctly; I'm in for the long haul!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I had mine replaced with the Numeric cables and shifter.
A shop installed it (not me). I was a little worried at first becuase shifting felt a little 'gritty' (vs buttery) at first, probably since the connections are all metal, but it smoothed out in a couple weeks of light city driving (100 miles) and feels great.
I had it set to the medium short shift adjustment (the most common). It felt strange to me for the first week or 2, but now it feels perfectly normal to me and better than stock. (This was my first short-shifter).
I'd get the Numeric shifter and cables again for sure.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I can't emphasize enough the importance of using Numeric cables. I had the original cables replaced with OEM by the dealer not long after purchasing my '06 CS in '09. When it broke again in early '15 I got Numeric cables and did the work myself. The cables are a known shortcoming of the Cayman, and the Numeric ones don't cost much more than the OEM, if any.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can't emphasize enough the importance of using Numeric cables. I had the original cables replaced with OEM by the dealer not long after purchasing my '06 CS in '09. When it broke again in early '15 I got Numeric cables and did the work myself. The cables are a known shortcoming of the Cayman, and the Numeric ones don't cost much more than the OEM, if any.
Preemptive replacement with Numeric should be on every manual trans owner's short list. The PO of my car had cable breakage & had them replaced w/OEM cables under warranty but preemptively replacing them with the Numeric cables was one of the first things I did with the car. The Numeric ones are just so much better than OEM, it's well worth it, imo.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Add one more casualty. 2010 boxster s with about 29k miles.

Stuck on side of road now. Was on highway driving to work and shifter won't shift, was left all wobbly without resistance. The fore aft movement is completely loose. I'm sure cable broke. I was in third gear and was lucky to be able to have enough momentum to get off the highway to a side road close to downtown Chicago. This is nuts and a crazy safety issue. Porsche NA will be hearing from me. Been waiting for tow for 2.5 hours. Grrrrr.

I called suncoast and my dealer in Chicago and apparently there is an upgraded cable package from Porsche that costs a cool $750 or so. Some new brackets etc. Dealer quotes 800 for labor--4 hours. I'm taking it to Indy mid west performance in Chicago to see what's what.

Numeric or stock cables??? That is the question now. Will numeric attach to factory cable points in the stock (GT3) shifter?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Numeric or stock cables??? That is the question now. Will numeric attach to factory cable points in the stock (GT3) shifter?
Welcome to the club. Mine broke @ around 48K - still under warranty (barely). So I got a free tow and the older style OEM cables. But I'd had enough and bought Numeric cables during a P-9 special 10% off. Originally - just to have for next time. But after several months I decided to preemptively replace the nearly-new OEM cables. Figured - why wait just to be stuck along some road in the middle of nowhere? Numeric has a lifetime warranty and are made to last.

Numeric cable ends attach the same as OEM. They are stiffer so a little more work fitting them from the shifter, up and over the engine, and down to the tranny. Adjustment is a little different since they need to be adjusted at both ends (vs OEM just at the shifter). I have the GT3 shifter and they feel great.

One problem with having a shop install Numeric is they must be willing divert from their "factory trained" knowledge and use some common sense while following the somewhat sketchy Numeric instructions. Make sure they either re-use the factory insulation or (better yet) add heavy duty silicon tubing to reduce noise transmission into the cabin. Oh yeah - be sure to order the tool - whether you DIY or have a shop do it. A normal wrench is just too big to get into the tight places.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome to the club. Mine broke @ around 48K - still under warranty (barely). So I got a free tow and the older style OEM cables. But I'd had enough and bought Numeric cables during a P-9 special 10% off. Originally - just to have for next time. But after several months I decided to preemptively replace the nearly-new OEM cables. Figured - why wait just to be stuck along some road in the middle of nowhere? Numeric has a lifetime warranty and are made to last.

Numeric cable ends attach the same as OEM. They are stiffer so a little more work fitting them from the shifter, up and over the engine, and down to the tranny. Adjustment is a little different since they need to be adjusted at both ends (vs OEM just at the shifter). I have the GT3 shifter and they feel great.

One problem with having a shop install Numeric is they must be willing divert from their "factory trained" knowledge and use some common sense while following the somewhat sketchy Numeric instructions. Make sure they either re-use the factory insulation or (better yet) add heavy duty silicon tubing to reduce noise transmission into the cabin. Oh yeah - be sure to order the tool - whether you DIY or have a shop do it. A normal wrench is just too big to get into the tight places.
Thanks. Re adjusting the numeric cables, will one use the shift alignment tool that comes with the gt3 shifter assembly? Or something else?

I'm still waiting for my tow to show up grrr. But will ask Midwest performance for their thoughts once I'm able to get my car in there.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Thanks. Re adjusting the numeric cables, will one use the shift alignment tool that comes with the gt3 shifter assembly? Or something else?

I'm still waiting for my tow to show up grrr. But will ask Midwest performance for their thoughts once I'm able to get my car in there.
I used the tool just to center the shifter for neutral. Some people don't. Seems the critical adjustment is on the other end... to make sure that the transmission levers have the proper reach fore and aft. If this is off, you might have trouble getting into some gears. I need to tweak mine a little - getting into reverse takes a lot of effort. OTHO, I'll never get into R accidentally.

I'm a former Chicagoan (18 yrs ago). Where is Midwest Performance located? Never mind - googled them. Looks like a top-notch place. Not too far from where you broke-down.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I used the tool just to center the shifter for neutral. Some people don't. Seems the critical adjustment is on the other end... to make sure that the transmission levers have the proper reach fore and aft. If this is off, you might have trouble getting into some gears. I need to tweak mine a little - getting into reverse takes a lot of effort. OTHO, I'll never get into R accidentally.

I'm a former Chicagoan (18 yrs ago). Where is Midwest Performance located? Never mind - googled them. Looks like a top-notch place. Not too far from where you broke-down.
Thank so very much. I'll look into it. The adjustment issue scares me a bit though.

Midwest performance in on lake street almost to Ogden. West loop downtown.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Gaah, that's frustrating. I hope it gets sorted out soon.

My Numeric cables are still in the box, with silicone tubing, dynamat, and the Numeric 19mm shorty wrench.

I just want to repaint my console first, and I have been a slacker in getting that accomplished. Need to put that project to the forefront.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I joined the club last week. Car is still in shop. 2010 S as well, 40k miles pretty much exactly.

Went with the new OEM kit. Not convinced the Numeric cable will be any better, and didn't want to deal with the trasnmission noise many are reporting. They attach to the same position as the OEM cables, so there's no guarantee the same failure won't happen.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I joined the club last week. Car is still in shop. 2010 S as well, 40k miles pretty much exactly.

Went with the new OEM kit. Not convinced the Numeric cable will be any better, and didn't want to deal with the trasnmission noise many are reporting. They attach to the same position as the OEM cables, so there's no guarantee the same failure won't happen.
Still waiting for tow. Anywho you got the new Porsche cables/ kit that's about 750 bucks?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I can't imagine any way in which the numeric cables could break in a regular street car.

Have you held them? They are F16 parts.

10% off for forum members if you ask.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts

I replaced mine as a preventive measure with the Numeric cables and wrapped them with 7/16 in fuel line zip tied in place ( easy to do ) they are as quite as the OEM cables were.

Cman21

·
Registered
325 Posts
2010 Cayman Base... 50K miles... busted cables
I got a set of extended numerics to accommodate IPD plenum...if your interested PM me, brand new in box

81 - 100 of 129 Posts