Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Still waiting for tow. Anywho you got the new Porsche cables/ kit that's about 750 bucks?
Yes. My indy guy ordered the parts for me and is doing the install. If you go to a dealer they will tell you the same thing, the software states they are supposed to replace all 3 parts.

You can find it on suncoast (its listed only under the 987.2 Cayman page but not the Boxster page for some reason. EDIT: Looks like its listed under boxster transmission page now too.) It's 3 parts:
Shifter cable
Shift link piece
Shift cable support piece

My battery was also about to die, so with battery + part and labor for the shifter cable parts, it came out to $1844 total.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
FWIW, I replaced the second set of Porsche cables on my 987.1 with Numeric and loved them. Very notchy but I liked it that way. I'm not at all familiar with the newer Porsche parts, and I have no data to indicate they are better or worse than the original cables/mounts. Numeric is only about $450-500 and I did the install myself, but I can't imagine paying anyone that much labor to do the job, it didn't take but about 3-4 hours and I work slow, take a lot of breaks.

I did inspect the cable linkage on my new CTGS 981 and it is different, but I can't say it is any more durable, but I hope so.

·
Registered
393 Posts
thanks. that is about what the dealer quoted me: $800 for new kit, and 4 hrs of labor at almost $800 for labor alone. I'm still waiting for the quote from the Indy shop.

Yes. My indy guy ordered the parts for me and is doing the install. If you go to a dealer they will tell you the same thing, the software states they are supposed to replace all 3 parts.

You can find it on suncoast (its listed only under the 987.2 Cayman page but not the Boxster page for some reason. EDIT: Looks like its listed under boxster transmission page now too.) It's 3 parts:
Shifter cable
Shift link piece
Shift cable support piece

My battery was also about to die, so with battery + part and labor for the shifter cable parts, it came out to $1844 total.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Got the car back today - wow, it's like night and day compared to the original factory shifter feel. I kinda know what the Numeric guys say when referring to a rifle bolt feel. With the new OEM kit, that's the first thing I thought of when I got in the car.

It is much more precise and the gates feel very tight and it's "notchy" in a good way. You definitely know when the gear is engaged now, there is a noticeable difference when the shifter passes through the gate and engages. Before it had a vague feeling when you pass through the gate, but now it's a nice tactile "click" when it goes into gear.

It's still not quite S2000 -esque. But it's pretty close.

So 1844 was just for the shift cable. Here's the breakdown on my receipt. I'm guessing my guy passed the next day shipping cost for the parts on to me for my final price.
763.20 for labor
486.09 Shift Link piece
97.53 Shift support piece
497.34 for shift cable

·
Registered
393 Posts
Got the car back today - wow, it's like night and day compared to the original factory shifter feel. I kinda know what the Numeric guys say when referring to a rifle bolt feel. With the new OEM kit, that's the first thing I thought of when I got in the car.

It is much more precise and the gates feel very tight and it's "notchy" in a good way. You definitely know when the gear is engaged now, there is a noticeable difference when the shifter passes through the gate and engages. Before it had a vague feeling when you pass through the gate, but now it's a nice tactile "click" when it goes into gear.

It's still not quite S2000 -esque. But it's pretty close.

So 1844 was just for the shift cable. Here's the breakdown on my receipt. I'm guessing my guy passed the next day shipping cost for the parts on to me for my final price.
763.20 for labor
486.09 Shift Link piece
97.53 Shift support piece
497.34 for shift cable
Wow thanks. I ordered just the cable with part number 98742404212 and the shop will try install on Friday when part arrives. It supposedly fits direct to replace old cable. If it does not fit I'll add the link piece and support bracket to it. Let's see. Fingers crossed.

Edit. Here is a diagram of the updated parts. http://www.autoatlanta.com/results.php?partnumber2=98742404212

The lever is part #22 and bracket is part # 25 in the diagram above. I'm on mobile so can't paste diagram on post. Also the part number for the lever part number starts with 981 corresponding to the 12-16 boxter/caymans so it's a part not available when our cars were made and has been upgraded.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've had mine in the trunk as an 'insurance policy'...just a matter of time until I get a snapped cable again

·
Registered
381 Posts
What is EXTREMELY DISINGENUOUS about this problem is if Porsche has an updated/upgraded cable then they are completely aware of the problem... pressure needs to be put on them to AT LEAST goodwill the older style cable WHEN it goes. I know there are a lot of attorneys on this board that have been stranded. I love Porsche but this is unacceptable.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
So got car back today from Indy shop. Bought cable alone for about $330 plus tax from the Porsche exchange in Chicago. Labor was $579 from Indy shop. All feels normal, tight and click click bolt action. So to those wondering about the other parts, not needed to make new cable fit. Time will tell how long it lasts though without the bracket.

And yes PCNA will get a nasty gram from me about this safety issue. And so will the NHTSA. Won't get me anywhere but will make record. I know. I'm lame.

·
Registered
512 Posts
So got car back today from Indy shop. Bought cable alone for about $330 plus tax from the Porsche exchange in Chicago. Labor was $579 from Indy shop. All feels normal, tight and click click bolt action. So to those wondering about the other parts, not needed to make new cable fit. Time will tell how long it lasts though without the bracket.

And yes PCNA will get a nasty gram from me about this safety issue. And so will the NHTSA. Won't get me anywhere but will make record. I know. I'm lame.
Good to know. Which brings to question, just how shitty was that first generation factory shifter cable they stuck on our 09s/10s? Compared to the new one, the old cable was like a limp noodle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have you contacted the law offices of Robert Starr who is a sponsor here? They deal in automotive cases, they have an action vs. Porsche for intermediate shaft failures, maybe they'd like to know about these shifter cable failures as well?
I know this is several years after your post, but what is the story on this action
against Porsche on the IMS?

I have not had a problem but am curious. I did the LN Engineering fix on my 986 Boxster
with an M96 engine.

I currently have an '06 Cayman S with the M97 engine and I believe it is supposed to
be the fix but I have an '05 Boxster S with the M96 but only 32k on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a point of information. I do not believe this is a problem with the base cayman in that the shift cables do not make the bend that places undo pressure on the cable. On the base both cables are in a direct line on only one side of the tranny.

It occurred on my "base" and others, as well as the "s"
I do recommend you first ask the service advisor to contact Porsche on your behalf.
And then, as needed, contact Porsche yourself. Many of us have had Porsche cover some of the cost.

Though I don't know this for sure, I was told the replacement cables are better

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just a point of information. I do not believe this is a problem with the base cayman in that the shift cables do not make the bend that places undo pressure on the cable. On the base both cables are in a direct line on only one side of the tranny.

It occurred on my "base" and others, as well as the "s"
I do recommend you first ask the service advisor to contact Porsche on your behalf.
And then, as needed, contact Porsche yourself. Many of us have had Porsche cover some of the cost.

Though I don't know this for sure, I was told the replacement cables are better
My shifter cable broke on my Cayman S about a year ago. Since it was stuck in reverse, I had it towed to a Porsche dealer (about 90 miles) to be fixed.

Are you saying that I might be able to recoup some of my cost if I contact PCNA? I never thought to ask the service adviser about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My shifter cable broke on my Cayman S about a year ago. Since it was stuck in reverse, I had it towed to a Porsche dealer (about 90 miles) to be fixed.

Are you saying that I might be able to recoup some of my cost if I contact PCNA? I never thought to ask the service adviser about it.
Absolutely !!! --
They know about these cables have been breaking, as does Porsche.
Ask them to contact Porsche on your behalf to ask if there's any way Porsche will cover some of the cost.
Or, if you're unsatisfied contact them yourself.
I received a discount. And I know 2 others at my dealership that were given a discount.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Absolutely !!! --
They know about these cables have been breaking, as does Porsche.
Ask them to contact Porsche on your behalf to ask if there's any way Porsche will cover some of the cost.
Or, if you're unsatisfied contact them yourself.
I received a discount. And I know 2 others at my dealership that were given a discount.
I will contact PCNA (Porsche in Atlanta) tomorrow about it. Since others, in other threads, have mentioned the IMS issue, I am gonna ask about recouping some of the cost of having the "fix" done on my 986 Boxster and if they will cover any of the cost to do it on my 987 Boxster S with the M96.

Never hurts to ask.:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Previous owner of my 2010 had the cables break at 45K. They were replaced, but with the original type cables.

I just replaced them with the Numeric cables at 55K. They really seem like a well-made part. Not a super easy job but not too bad: took me 4-5 hours. The toughest part is that the left side connection at the transmission is way up there, and I had a heck of a time getting the old cable to come off the bracket. Out of frustration I just pushed down really hard on the cable from the top of the engine bay and it somehow popped out, so that solved that.

Shift action is noticeably improved. I was hoping the shifter wiggle would be reduced (how you can shift it around a bit when in gear) but its about the same as before. I'm noticing a bit more noise in the cabin but it's not too bad...I did reuse the foam cable covers and the rear pass-through grommet from the stock cables.

Anyway, definitely worth doing if only for piece of mind. You definitely need the Numeric wrench to do the job, and the shifter alignment tool from Porsche (green plastic thingy) makes getting things set up properly a lot easier.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The trouble with these things is that Porsche have been building cars to a price, not to a standard. This has compromised reliability, but more importantly the safety of the vehicles that we adore.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Also, EIGHT HUNDRED dollars for the uprated Porsche shift cables? They should be giving those suckers to everyone for free: they're lucky NHTA hasn't forced a recall on this.

Just get the Numeric ones at half the price, I say.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another 2010 Cayman S broken shifter cable; Sunset (Beaverton OR) OK to fix it?

35K miles, second owner, fastidious maintenance & care. ECU rev count showed only 1 trip to the first zone when we got the car at 29K miles. I'm 50 and have been driving manuals very carefully since age 8 when dad taught me out on the ranch in our '55 F100, with explicit analysis that the clutch & synchros are finite wear items to be respected and nurtured for a long, prosperous life. Always use more replaceable wear items like the brakes when slowing down, and hold the hill with the e-brake / never "balance clutch & brake" like some folks were erroneously taught. OCD levels of mechanical empathy, and poster child of taking care of our mechanical things as if they were family pets.

Dead shifter / stuck in gear yesterday. Is the "updated" stock cable / bracket update kit the way to go for people still under warranty?

Any horror stories of this fix, and are there any links we should provide to our local dealer (or independent if people recommend otherwise) to ensure it's "fixed right the first time?"

We bought CarMax's extended warranty & will be making use of that.

Here is the "kit" I'm planning to point whomever does this fix toward. I'm reticent about using any aftermarket parts for reasons of warranty and I've been soured on non-OEM parts in my late 40s. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9872CABLE.html

Nothing against Numeric, as I might have considered them if there wasn't an "updated" OEM kit available (and I was in my more adventurous 30s). If the updated OEM simply lasts longer than the original design (providing same throw resistance and gate feel), I'll be perfectly satisfied.

Thanks,
stantaur / 2010 Cayman S 6 spd

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
According to Suncoast, the original cables are discontinued. So the update kit will be required. And that would likely be your only choice under warranty. Numeric would be a major upgrade in performance and durability, but I doubt Carmax would foot the bill. Will the work be done by a Porsche dealer?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Re: Another 2010 Cayman S broken shifter cable; Sunset (Beaverton OR) OK to fix it?

35K miles, second owner, fastidious maintenance & care. ECU rev count showed only 1 trip to the first zone when we got the car at 29K miles. I'm 50 and have been driving manuals very carefully since age 8 when dad taught me out on the ranch in our '55 F100, with explicit analysis that the clutch & synchros are finite wear items to be respected and nurtured for a long, prosperous life. Always use more replaceable wear items like the brakes when slowing down, and hold the hill with the e-brake / never "balance clutch & brake" like some folks were erroneously taught. OCD levels of mechanical empathy, and poster child of taking care of our mechanical things as if they were family pets.

Dead shifter / stuck in gear yesterday. Is the "updated" stock cable / bracket update kit the way to go for people still under warranty?

Any horror stories of this fix, and are there any links we should provide to our local dealer (or independent if people recommend otherwise) to ensure it's "fixed right the first time?"

We bought CarMax's extended warranty & will be making use of that.

Here is the "kit" I'm planning to point whomever does this fix toward. I'm reticent about using any aftermarket parts for reasons of warranty and I've been soured on non-OEM parts in my late 40s. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9872CABLE.html

Nothing against Numeric, as I might have considered them if there wasn't an "updated" OEM kit available (and I was in my more adventurous 30s). If the updated OEM simply lasts longer than the original design (providing same throw resistance and gate feel), I'll be perfectly satisfied.

Thanks,
stantaur / 2010 Cayman S 6 spd

Yes, that is the updated OEM kit. If you're still under warranty, that is the kit your dealer should replace with. The old/original cable part is not available so the only choice is the updated kit.

I went to an indy place where I get my car serviced, but a dealer should be able to do it as well. No horror stories. It's pretty straightforward. It is time consuming though, so expect it to take a day. They have to take apart the center console/shifter because the new kit includes an updated bracket where the cable connects to the shifter.

Don't know if new OEM kit lasts longer, it's only been about 10k miles since i got it replaced. For me, the OEM kit did improve the stock shifter feel greatly, made it much more precise going past the gate.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts