Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Another 2010 Cayman S broken shifter cable; Sunset (Beaverton OR) OK to fix it?

Thank you. Yes, I'd be fine with the updated OEM kit if it fixes the durability failure. Otherwise pretty pleased with the regular stock shifter.

Working through MaxCare/CarMax to get our local Porsche dealer to do the deed since they likely have the process down (esp. as many failures as you find on the forums when this happens....) vs. CarMax's service team using it as a training exercise.

No concerns on them having it a day. I go out of my way not to be "that guy" when it comes to service. As with many things in life... much better to give them time to do the car "right" rather than asking for it "right now" (which usually entails getting it re-done shortly thereafter due to short-cuts & disgruntled folks working under a rush job).

Thank you again for this and other threads. Having had as many cars as I've enjoyed (Elise, S2000s, IS-F, '69 Z/28, E36 M3, 987.2, etc.) I'm kind of stunned that most folks would need to change their 987's shift cables as often as most people change diff fluid (30K mi in light use / 15K heavy). SMH...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Another 2010 Cayman S broken shifter cable; Sunset (Beaverton OR) OK to fix it?

Update: Car broke this morning, just 6 miles after driving it home Wed evening after the repair (with the updated design/kit).

Very nice folks at Sunset in Beaverton, OR. Used my State Farm roadside assistance to tow the car 6 miles to Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR Monday 6/5.

Service team assessed the broken cables, got the approval from MaxCare (extended warranty), ordered the new replacement kit and had the car ready Wednesday 6/7. Drove the car home (radically better feel and gate precision vs. old shifter) for the 6 mile trip.

Didn't drive the car until Sun morning 6/11, when I backed it out of the garage, whereupon reaching to put the car back into first gear, the shifter flops around like a rag doll. Anyone else have this symptom - what else could be breaking the cable / popping an end off? Bad mechanism in the stock shifter? I need the car to be reliable, but if this design is just luck-of-the-draw I'm forced to find either a PDK version close to my Cayman (1-owner, 2 blips on the ECU range 1 redline check, limited slip, sport seats, bi-xenon, auto-climate control, sport chrono, 19" C2 wheels, etc.) like that'll ever happen, or something else.

Gutted.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts

Possible end popped off at the transmission. I had this issue about 2 years after changing out the cables. Simply popped off the driver side of transmission. I jacked up the left rear, blocked the car, reached up and pushed back onto the ball. It is a very tough push as it is cramped and hard to get into. I may have used channel locks to get leverage to snap into place.

Hopefully it is that simple.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Cables were still attached at the trans end, so I called Beaverton Porsche and they said they'd give it another look and might even help pay for the second tow to their dealership in < 7 days for the same thing that was supposed to be fixed last Wed.

So I used one of my 3 local tows with AAA this time (State Farm would not cover this second tow since it's related to the original fix Porsche tried to do). Odd, I'm used to people "standing behind their work" and would have thought Beaverton Porsche would have paid for this second tow since it was very likely due to their not getting things fixed the first time / last week.

They get the car, have their tech remove the center console and "pop" the cable back on. I get a text back saying it's fixed, but all they've done is pop the cable back on. If it popped off once (stranding me with this new cable set, now twice within 7 days), what guarantees it won't do it again?

One would think the OTHER parts that are attached to this system, like where the original shifter attaches to the cables, might be worn or have been fatigued by the replacement of the cables.

They said it did fine on their test drive, and are going to try again in the conditions (cold engine & trans), moving shifter from 1st to Reverse after engine start tomorrow morning.

I'd feel better if they replaced whatever heim or ball/socket joints that might have been fatigued during replacement (or worn during first 35K miles of this car's life). Just "popping the old one back together" means I'll need to drive around with the console removed and a tow-truck on call. Not a good customer experience so far (incl time lost arranging tows, the only early morning drive I was hoping to take in 2 weeks now, time spent removing my stuff from the disabled Cayman, etc.), and definitely a safety issue if the shifter fails during an on-ramp, vehicle overtake, turning in an intersection or I get rear-ended at a stop sign due to its failure.

What has happened to people standing behind their work these days? Used to be that if you identified known-faulty designs like all these cable shifters on Porsche's products, you'd have a pretty good fix in place that includes not only the updated cables, but the parts they attach to.

Depending on how they choose to handle it or if we need to escalate to regional service, etc., this probably soured me on this and any future Porsches. What a mess.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts

Adding my 30k miles 2012 CSBE to the list of broken cable owners. This is an insult with the amount of failures and lack of response from Porsche. I'm sure the guy who designed the cable works for GM, but how can they hang their German Alpine hats with the leather feather on this!? We've all had cars with 100k+ original clutches and cables. My kid had a MK2 Jetta 145k miles and no cable issues. I am constantly internally praising this car in my mind as I drive it and feel like it is well worth the price of admission, but a failure for such a generic mechanical part is beyond unacceptable. Rant over. Looks like Numeric has a 10% discount going so that's where my money is going. Does anyone know if the special Numeric tool is mandatory?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Not mandatory but highly recommended. I have one I used to install the numeric cables on my 987, hope I don't need it for the 981.

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
55 Posts
My shifter cable(s) snapped this evening when my wife & I were getting ready to leave from a dinner engagement. Started the car ('07 CS 6-speed) and proceeded to engage reverse gear. and BAM!, Floppy shift lever and stuck in neutral (which turned out to be a good thing), it allowed AAA to load it up on a flat bed and transport to my home. I'll be ordering some new cables tomorrow (Friday).
AAA Tow - Cayman Shift Cables Snapped 5-28-20.jpg

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Which cables did you order? Newly revised OEM's or Numeric steel racing cables. Both about the same price. OEM requires more time repositioning the cables to remove the bend. Numeric use the original cable pathway. With Numeric cables, you can actually feel the detents in the transmission synchromech system. Both work well. I have the Numeric shifter as well which really add much more involvement on my part to shift more often. This system allows for much more 1st gear downshifting interchange.

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
55 Posts
I picked up a 'previously owned' set from someone who went with the Numeric cables ... got 'em for a real good price too.

I had a chance to stick the car up in the air today. A quick look-see uncovered the problem - one of the cable end sockets popped off of the ball on the linkage.

I snapped it back on and have full shift control over the transmission again. For now, I'm going to red-neck it and throw some HD zip-ties around that joint, as I need to run out to AZ next week and don't have time to tear out the interior to replace the cables right now. I'll toss the 'new' cables in the trunk just in case they do completely fail ;)

P1060481.JPG

I'm going to spray some lubricant into the sleeves next time I have it on the lift. Also thinking about fabricating a couple of clips from spring steel to keep the socket ends secured to the ball joints :unsure: ... I think that's a better idea than carrying around a floor jack and a set of jack stands in the trunk ...

121 - 129 of 129 Posts