Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We barely made the plane to Orlando….however, it was delayed 2 hours in Asheville. Got to dealer about 3:30. Left just after 4:00. Got to Savannah at 10:00pm and crashed. Decided to leave 8th Air Force Museum for another time. Came back to NC mostly in a pouring rain all on interstates, so no joy driving. However, car is incredibly stable in rain. Got a few pics of the wet car just for grins.

Definite credit to Oliver at Millenia Motors for having his act together when we got there (and for having good Cuban coffee), and to Mike at Drivers Choice, who did PPI and installed tires.

I have now collated the maintenance info I had from CarFax and a few recent receipts, receipts that came with the car, and stamps in the maintenance book. Shows regular annual maintenance, oil changes < 5,000 miles, and a number of other repairs...including TPMS sensors in 2013, new climate control buttons in 2016, new brake pads this year. Had new Bridgestone Pole Position tires and alignment done yesterday before pickup.

Only remaining item is non-op driver's side fan. I have a used one coming next week, but will also check relays.

Will follow up as weather clears and I get a bit more time with car.

For the obvious questions, it's Seal Gray with Gray upholstery, PASM, chrono, nav, Bose, 19 inch Carerra Sport wheels, bi-xenon lights. 42,000 miles, almost new condition $29,720 plus cost of tires/alignment. 3,000 miles into its 40,000 mile service, so good for a while. Just had to share.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Supercar
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Wheel

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
We barely made the plane to Orlando….however, it was delayed 2 hours in Asheville. Got to dealer about 3:30. Left just after 4:00. Got to Savannah at 10:00pm and crashed...
Read this far and thought OH NO!!! - then I realized you just went to bed :hilarious:

Congrats, you will love this car!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Read this far and thought OH NO!!! - then I realized you just went to bed :hilarious:
Yep - had the same reaction - maybe not the best choice of words, or maybe that was what was intended. Although the car is 11 years old, with only 42k miles suspension should be in fine shape.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats ! 11 year old car. May need a suspension check/refresh. Bushings, shocks, squeaks/rattles. don't assume this is how it rode when new.
I'm going to keep ears and eyes open as I build time with the car. As near as anyone can tell it has not been mistreated, effectively zero overrevs in ranges 3,4,5,6; 5,000 mile or one year oil service, major services done on time. I know that does not address the suspension, but it is an indicator of how the car was treated. We drove over 500 miles back from Florida on I95 and I26, both of which are very rough in places. No odd sounds or rattles. At almost 43,000 miles, I will be alert to the pieces that frequently fail at random....water pump, AOS, etc. and suspension bits.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Best of luck with it. It's darn near identical to mine except I have Meteor Gray. Same wheels too. Even the miles are close. I have 43,500 on mine. I never get tired of looking at or driving it. Your suspension should be fine, unless it's been tracked. Then worth checking. Otherwise, fine. You will love it.:cheers:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as there are no major "gotcha's", it should be a good one. It has been maintained as I mentioned. First owner for 6 years, second for 4 more. All books, 3 keys. I neglected to check for inflator and slime bottle.....checked this afternoon and found inflator pump probably never used and the slime bottle still in it's original plastic bag. Will replace with more current Slime that is not out of date. Will update as I "peel the onion".

·
Registered
897 Posts
Great looking car, awesome color and beautiful looking part of the country you live in judging by your photos. Best of luck with the car and engoy.

Also, not sure if you were aware of the fact that the standard issue " Porsche Slime " can potentially cause issues down the roads with the TPMS. My understanding is that the newer products made by " Slime " are non corrosive and also cheaper than the direct replacement from Porsche.

Again, best of luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up on Slime. I will save the current can for someone interested in oem originality. 8 ) We are fortunate to live in a world of neat roads, 10 min from Blue Ridge Pkwy. We are at 3200 ft overlooking a valley of farms. Car heaven.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is what I bought recently - Slime 60189 Quick Spair Tire Inflator with Eco-friendly Formula - 16 oz. It lays nicely in the bottom of the storage areas behind the seats, along with a tire-plugging kit in case I decide to go that route.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what I bought recently - Slime 60189 Quick Spair Tire Inflator with Eco-friendly Formula - 16 oz. It lays nicely in the bottom of the storage areas behind the seats, along with a tire-plugging kit in case I decide to go that route.
Thanks. When I was looking at auto parts store last week, I noticed there were multiple varieties and sizes. Already have a plug kit to go in car.

Ordered clear marker lights this morning

·
Registered
279 Posts
Congratulations! Nice!
I envy you where you live. We love Asheville and visit often. One of my goals in near future is to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway end to end. On the tire issue - I don't trust the goo. Driving around town I carry with me patch kit and a compressor. Can always fix it on the road. Also I bought from eBay for 80 bucks brand new spare tire and jack from 986. It is sitting in my garage and on long trips comes with me.
Are you planning on doing something about the IMS bearing?

·
Registered
607 Posts
My parents lived for a while outside of Canton, some nice roads up your way for your croc, send pics when you can. Won't be long before you have some even more spectacular scenery that way.

I plan to go to the 8th once it cools off some, maybe later this month. We are near Charleston, few good driving roads here on the coast but the Cayman makes the most of them.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The Parkway is beautiful but dang that speed limit. I did most of it on my motorcycle back around 1975, great fun. Haven't gotten my 981 up to the mountains yet but hope to this fall.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on Slime. I will save the current can for someone interested in oem originality. 8 ) We are fortunate to live in a world of neat roads, 10 min from Blue Ridge Pkwy. We are at 3200 ft overlooking a valley of farms. Car heaven.
We (me, wife & Cayman) spent a night visiting old friend at his small farm in Horse Shoe. Beautiful area with lots of twisties. He took me for a ride showing-off his Corvette and scared the $hit out of me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congratulations! Nice!
I envy you where you live. We love Asheville and visit often. One of my goals in near future is to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway end to end. On the tire issue - I don't trust the goo. Driving around town I carry with me patch kit and a compressor. Can always fix it on the road. Also I bought from eBay for 80 bucks brand new spare tire and jack from 986. It is sitting in my garage and on long trips comes with me.
Are you planning on doing something about the IMS bearing?
I also have a plug kit on the workbench to be packed in. I've also thought about a spare tire, but that will wait. As far as IMS bearing, this motor has the large bearing that is not 'serviceable" without" tearing down motor, so will have to hope I'm not part of the 1% that has the issue with this motor. The good news is that this one has had 5,000 mile oil changes or less; PPI noted no sign of current or past leaks at RMS area and camshaft deviations were within spec; so these are all positives.

·
Registered
514 Posts
...I've also thought about a spare tire, but that will wait....
Keep in mind that the issue with bringing along a spare tire is figuring out where to put the damaged tire once you've mounted the spare. I believe the usual place is in the passenger seat, so you'll need agreement from your traveling partner that they're ok walking. :). The other problem I have with a spare is that the time when a spare would be most needed (long trip) is exactly the same time I have minimum extra space. I've looked at buying one but always talk myself out of it. I am still thinking about buying a jack, however, just to make plugging a tire more feasible. In the 10k miles I've had my Cayman, I've taken several road trips and did manage to pick up one nail, but it was a slow leak, so I just stopped every couple hours to fill up the tire. TPMS was very helpful.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pardon my obsession with detail. Spent today getting inspection and registration and then mostly digging around in Cayman with online assist. I discovered.....

1) I have PCM software version 05395BD1/4505. Apparently Level C, so I can do map updates if I want. However, it appears I have a bootleg map disc so I can't find out how old. Not too concerned. It works fine, but I will use Garmin mostly.

2) Ordered clear side marker lights. They are more aesthetic.

3) Took flashlight to look inside grilles for debris. Noticed there are nice black mesh screens in the left and right intakes. When I replace the left side fan (arrived today), I'll clean out if needed.

4) Spent some time after getting PCM software version, just noodiing around radio and PCM menus. Not too difficult once you learn how to select and then back up. Would not want to do a lot of data input (like an address). Set up nav on the way back to NC to compare to my updated Garmin. Not bad. May forgo rolling the dice on updates but use when needed.

5) Content for other 1st time Porsche buyers....had a nice conversation with service department at Jack Ingram Porsche in Montgomery AL where car was originally sold. Their service department was very helpful; they sent me the one service receipt for work done at the dealership, a one year service/oil change at 9300 miles and some additional work. So I now have a virtually complete service history on the car. Very pleased with that.

Again, sorry if I sound like a kid with a new toy; I guess I am. But some of the tidbits I'm learning would have also been helpful to me.

Thanks for the umpteenth time for all your patience and help.

Reactions: iiagdtr and Budman
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.