Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone else who thinks this would be the ideal configuration? And if I wanted to do it, would I be better off ordering buckets and swapping the passenger seat for an 18-way, or ordering the 18-way and swapping the driver seat for a LWB?

Two reasons I can think of to order 18-ways - electric steering wheel/column adjustment, and seat heating.

Any other compatibility issues I'm not considering?

·
Registered
626 Posts
just curious.. Have you priced out which way is cheaper? I wonder how much Porsche will charge you for one bucket seat or if they'll even have it available anytime soon.
Also I would assume they're on the same tracks but it might be worth confirming.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Many organizers of track events expect the exact same equipment for passenger and driver.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Based on your previous post about wanting to go track again you'd be better off with 18 ways and get a separate seat to swap in and out for your track days. With a caveat as others have said: for PCA events, in case you want an instructor, equal equipment and level of safety have to be used on both sides.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Based on your previous post about wanting to go track again you'd be better off with 18 ways and get a separate seat to swap in and out for your track days
That seem like a lot of work. IMO go one way or the other...missed match seats seems kind of cheap. There are plenty of people that have changed the driver to a bucket....though. IMO order the buckets as they will always hold their value or even go up. As amdeutsch has on his thread the LWSB are on a big back order and will not be around for a while.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I didn't consider having a passenger on track as that almost never happens. I am a DE instructor - or at least used to be. But that is and should be a consideration. My wife already complains about having to get in and out of my Cayman S (with X73) and can't imagine how much worse it will be in the GT4 with buckets! I guess I'll stick with the 18-ways. I've heard they are plenty supportive, even on track. The only way I'll switch my order to buckets is if I can get a test sit for me and my wife, and that seems unlikely. The truth is this car will see much more road than track.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My wife already complains about having to get in and out of my Cayman S (with X73) and can't imagine how much worse it will be in the GT4 with buckets!
Get the buckets and she might not ride with you at all :banana:

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Based on your previous post about wanting to go track again you'd be better off with 18 ways and get a separate seat to swap in and out for your track days.
That seem like a lot of work.
Prepping a DD for track that time frame to exchange seats is minimal; some bolts and connectors. I bet that changing the seats takes less than 2 coronas. :beer:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I bet that changing the seats takes less than 2 coronas. :beer:
Less than 2 the first time with the GT2 buckets...less than 1 the second and any subsequent times. Assuming the wiring harness connections are the same with LWBS as other seats, shouldn't be any more difficult.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I didn't consider having a passenger on track as that almost never happens. I am a DE instructor - or at least used to be. But that is and should be a consideration. My wife already complains about having to get in and out of my Cayman S (with X73) and can't imagine how much worse it will be in the GT4 with buckets! I guess I'll stick with the 18-ways. I've heard they are plenty supportive, even on track. The only way I'll switch my order to buckets is if I can get a test sit for me and my wife, and that seems unlikely. The truth is this car will see much more road than track.
I think that you have answered your own question. If you will not see much track time with this car, then it's probably best not to get the sport buckets. If you get the buckets and track the car, then then you will need harnesses, harness bar or roll bar. Equal safety on both sides for check out drives with a new group or for further training tips from a hot shoe on a new track.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Because...?
Because it looks very ugly in my opinion. Unless the car is a dedicated track car, I wouldn't want my car to have non-matching seats if given a choice. I never quite understand the concept of having sofa seats on these are in the first place (if we are talking about GT4 cars).

But hey, it's not my car ... one could do whatever he/she wants to his/her own car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts