Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some searching and couldn't find a clear answer other then "I installed mine and they're great", what is everyone's experience on the three most popular coilovers under $2k? Not considering the Cayman R retrofit because I want to be able to adjust the height.

H&R coilovers
Bilstein B16 PSS9
KW V1

I am aware that the bilstein B16 PSS9 coilovers are the only ones with independent height and dampening adjustments, and they probably seem like the best value on paper. I want to know from experience which system has the best track performance and is the most durable/reliable. I also dont want to ruin the ride quality of the car, but I had for example an E36 M3 on H&R race springs and the ride wasnt too bad. I would like to mimic a Cayman R/ 997 GT3 ride style.

Thanks in advance for everyones help!

·
Registered
74 Posts
For my CS daily driver I selected PSS9's as the most cost effective option providing both ride height and valving adjustability.

Unfortunately I can't give you any direct advice about their use for autocross or DE, but maybe the attached will be of some help. It reflects the spring rate details I assembled for many of the available products.

PM me if you'd like a copy of the actual Excel file.

Attachments

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
I have been running PSS9s on my DD for 8 years and about 80K miles. Generally, I do about 4 - 5 DEs a year. They seem to be holding up fine. I used to adjust the dampeners for track days and now they are just set a 5 all the time.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I ran PSS9 for several years on my street/track Cayman S. They are an excellent choice for a dual purpose car. I did change the damper settings between street and track but the settings were not too sensitive, kind of all or nothing. You can increase spring rates and I eventually went to a "Spec Boxster" set-up. Last year I changed to a 2-Way Adjustable system from Motion Control Suspension. This is a more "Race" set-up and I can feel a difference in handling with each click of damping change.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
if you want really budget, there is a set of Cayman R springs for sale in classified section. No affiliated with seller myself. Worth a look there.

Otherwise, coilovers are the preferred route due to comfort and handling characteristics. PSS9s are pretty decent based on my limited experience with them. I have the version made for PASM cars, but also based on PSS9 coilovers -- I love them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts