Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK can someone help me decode the VIN decoder? I see the last 6 digits of the VIN represent in my case a "7" for 98"7" meaning Boxster/S or Cayman/S, a "1" narrowing it down to a Boxster and then 4 digits for Production/Sequence/Chassis #. Lets say the last 4 digits are 1234. What exactly does that mean? Is it the 1234th 987 built (including all variations of Boxsters and Caymans) or is it the 1234th Boxster built (not including Boxster S's)? Or the 1234th Boxster/S in total? Any help? Thanks in advance.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
OK can someone help me decode the VIN decoder? I see the last 6 digits of the VIN represent in my case a "7" for 98"7" meaning Boxster/S or Cayman/S, a "1" narrowing it down to a Boxster and then 4 digits for Production/Sequence/Chassis #. Lets say the last 4 digits are 1234. What exactly does that mean? Is it the 1234th 987 built (including all variations of Boxsters and Caymans) or is it the 1234th Boxster built (not including Boxster S's)? Or the 1234th Boxster/S in total? Any help? Thanks in advance.
I too wondered about that since my number is 1625:
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/18190-cayman-production-numbers.html

I have a feel it is the sequence number for the year but not sure if it is based on 987 Chassis or Cayman Model. The 987 series was introduced in Model Year 2005. Mine says production in Finland. So I found this:
Piper Boxster - Boxster Buyers guide - Chassis number (VIN) decoder

Now I think mine is the 2006 Cayman S of which it was number 1,625 built for that year at that plant. So it is the Cayman build number for the year at that plant.

I just submitted to Suncoast's VIN decoder service (free) so will not receive results for 2-3 business days:
VIN Decoder Service: Suncoast Automotive Porsche, Audi, & VW

I have not tried the Renntech.org version since you have to register and I don't feel like it right now.

This is about as much as I learned. Hope it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.