Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'll likely be able to order a new Cayman S, later this year. Money won't be a problem and so I'm going to spec it out the way I want it. Let me also say that I am sixty and this will be my main driving car. So every minute spent in it is extra special. This is my first post in what may be a series regarding this order. It could be fun to see what happens.

I belong to one of the smaller groups who really likes Malachite green. Though it's still available in the U.S. as a special color, they have dropped it in Germany and perhaps some other countries. So I was thinking it might become a color to sample color here to. Not a problem. But this got me investigating into other Porsche greens that I might find more attractive that I would pay about the same for as a color to sample....in other words: my horizons widened.

So, I discovered a color that I might like more (haven't seen it in real life): Porsche color #93 Granite Green Metallic. Compared to Malachite it's lighter, and far more gray than green. It's also seems to be very difficult to photograph as reflection from the blue sky seems to easily wash the green away entirely in most of the photos I've seen.

Not surprisingly, I have not found a pic of a Cayman in this color. But I feel it would be exceptional for two reasons: 1. A Cayman dresses really nice in grays (this is a green gray). 2. I have a special real leather to sample I'm willing to put out for that will look exceptional with this color (another thread....either I pay Porsche or someone less to do it).

Here are some pictures I've found. If you can help find others that are not just gray, I'd really appreciate it. Or, better yet, if you own this color Porsche and have some pictures to share, that will be beyond too cool.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
ThomasJames,

That is a really nice color. When I was a kid I lived in upstate New york and my neighbor had a Targa with that color I think, very Nice. A dark brown or gray interior might look sharp. Would love to see pictures when you make your final decision .

Best of luck,

dave-t

·
Registered
674 Posts
Very nice and unique color. I think either of Porsches natural Brown or natural Dark Grey would look good with it. If you get both paint and leather to sample you'll be waiting forever for the car. Beware! You've entered the slippery slope of Porsche options...

·
Registered
620 Posts
I like the color too. I too like greens, and even some of the browns (that aren't so popular). What color interior are you thinking? To me, some type of brown would be nice.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fantastic choice, personally i would go with black. The contrast would be very rich. Will be getting my first CS this year as well. Looking to order. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Interior color I'd like to discuss later as it's a beast all unto itself. All I'll say is that my idea incorporates more than just color and is something I've never seen in a new car before.

Edited to add: Also I realize this will likely make for a major extension on build time. So I may buy a used Cayman first to help nurse the wait period. It's not that I'll soon be filthy rich, it's more that generally my life is very Spartan, and there are few things I would really like to have. A special 987cs is at the top of a very short list.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That is a great color that I've only seen on older Porsches. I've never seen it on a late model. You absolutely should go for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
James both of those colors are GREAT colors, IMHO. For me, I like the Malachite Green better; but i would be happy with either.

I'm excited to see and hear more about your interior ideas. That said, as has already been mentioned, black is a great contrasting color for an interior on either one of those colors.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a great color that I've only seen on older Porsches. I've never seen it on a late model. You absolutely should go for it.
Yes, I'm liking it more too; but I'm getting all my sensory input from photographs which are especially hard-put to capture a metallic color whose nature is to reflect back more color and light from the surroundings than a solid color probably would.

In the second photo the color of the red taillights seems to really go well with the gray-green.

I also have an idea to go with wheels with gun-metal or matte-black centers and with brushed nickle-plated outer rims which have a warm tone that goes really well with greens.

It's fun looking at wheels. Here you can see how the nickle plating has subtle warm tones of gold compared to the more bluish tones of chrome. I also like the look of the deeper center spokes of the three piece wheels. The above SO3S Forgeline's may very well be what we end up with, or the competition series SX3R's below (with nickle rims instead of matte black). Considering too the hidden-bolt option which makes the wheels a bit sleeker and more fitting with the feline flow of the Cayman.

The goal is to accentuate the beauty of the car without drawing attention away from it to the wheels. So something well-made and understated with a simple spoke design. It will be a little tricky finding just the right balance where your eyes are drawn to the entire automobile's grace and beauty and not distracted by a single piece.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
James both of those colors are GREAT colors, IMHO. For me, I like the Malachite Green better; but i would be happy with either.

I'm excited to see and hear more about your interior ideas. That said, as has already been mentioned, black is a great contrasting color for an interior on either one of those colors.
I have not totally abandoned the Malachite. It will likely be several months before the order is placed. Much can happen in that time. I just thought it would be fun to share my situation and get some feedback......and I very much appreciate everyone's feed back.
:cheers:

·
Registered
674 Posts
How about Aventurine Green? It's a similar color, but looks more green than grey. Gorgeous color used on the 993 series.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Go with the Malachite and Coco interior. Perfect combo and for wheels, don't go too dark. A titanium set of Champions would work well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey James. I've never heard of Granite Green Metallic before. But after seeing pics of it, I think it will look great. I've always loved the colors that has different shades to it depending on the lighting.

I ordered an Atlas Grey Metallic 997S (2006) years ago and ended up choosing Stone Grey as an interior color. When the car finally arrived, I was very happy because the interior color seemed to bring out the grey in the exterior color. I also noticed this in a car that was traded into the dealer. It was a Basalt Black car with a Sand Beige interior. The Sand Beige seemed to soften the Basalt Black exterior making it look a little lighter than it is. My point is that you can either contrast the interior color or choose to bring out the greens or the greys in the exterior color by choosing a matching interior color.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about Aventurine Green? It's a similar color, but looks more green than grey. Gorgeous color used on the 993 series.

I think this is what you are referring to. It's darker and seems to have more blue in it. But we're dealing with the same photo limitation thing again. Interesting color.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go with the Malachite and Coco interior. Perfect combo and for wheels, don't go too dark. A titanium set of Champions would work well.
The Malachite and cocoa was pretty much what I had decided on, until this latest bout of creativity....or whatever you want to call it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey James. I've never heard of Granite Green Metallic before. But after seeing pics of it, I think it will look great. I've always loved the colors that has different shades to it depending on the lighting.

I ordered an Atlas Grey Metallic 997S (2006) years ago and ended up choosing Stone Grey as an interior color. When the car finally arrived, I was very happy because the interior color seemed to bring out the grey in the exterior color. I also noticed this in a car that was traded into the dealer. It was a Basalt Black car with a Sand Beige interior. The Sand Beige seemed to soften the Basalt Black exterior making it look a little lighter than it is. My point is that you can either contrast the interior color or choose to bring out the greens or the greys in the exterior color by choosing a matching interior color.

Hope that helps.
You know I was pondering how to help make the green in the Granite Green, come out a little more, and green wheels were out. But you made me think of green leather interior....with the first reaction being "yuck".

However, now I'm thinking a green gray leather that is darker than the outside, or perhaps even lighter, may make for a really pleasant combination....not to mention highly unique. Also dark gray or dark green carpet depending on the seat color chosen, could help give it a nice two-tone thing. It's worth considering and may be just the ticket to set of a Granite-green exterior.

I understand that I am now entering territory where even fewer would want to go.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
The Malachite and cocoa was pretty much what I had decided on, until this latest bout of creativity....or whatever you want to call it.
It's a great problem to have. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think this is what you are referring to. It's darker and seems to have more blue in it. But we're dealing with the same photo limitation thing again. Interesting color.
Yes, that's it. Pictures don't do it justice - It's a very rich metallic green/grey color in sunlight, and looks like slate grey/green on cloudy days. Beautiful color. Here are a few more pictures (the second one shows what green leather would look like - I'm not a fan and would go with black instead, but to each his own):

Since you're going to be spending a small fortune for the paint-to-sample color, I'd recommend ordering one can each of the 4 or 5 finalists you decide on, and priming and painting some scrap pieces of metal (preferably curved). That will give you the best basis for comparing what the actual paint colors will look like without being subject to the limitations of photos. www.paintscratch.com sells aerosol cans of manufacturer paint colors. They should be able to match any OEM paint color on their web site or if you give them the original paint code.

By the way, I think it's smart that you're looking for a paint to sample color that's an actual color used by a manufacturer. It would make it so much easier (and far less expensive) to match the paint if you ever need to touch it up or get panels re-painted in the future. If you're looking for an OEM color, in addition to evaluating past Porsche colors, I'd also recommend looking at Volkswagen and Volvo colors - both have had some amazing paint colors over the years. The other thing you could do is stop by a custom paint shop in your area and look through their PPG catalogs and samples (PPG is the largest automotive paint manufacturer in the world and have an extensive palette of colors to choose from).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts