Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the question of buying a Ferrari F355/F360 vs Porsche GT4 may not cross the mind of Porsche fans here who are fighting over the allocations, somebody from the other side popped the question:
Will Porsche Cayman GT4 interest F355 or 360 owners?.. - FerrariChat.com

I find it interesting to read the perspectives of different fans... not sure how he thought the GT4 price will drop like a rock. And I wonder why it shouldn't. However that's not the point. Enjoy the read.

In my case I'd never consider buying a Ferrari before the 458... and the ugly California doesn't tempt me. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hi Hassaan! Always look forward to your posts.

To me the Ferrari 355 is a desirable car money no object. Its looks still are fantastic even after so many years.
And that engine howl.... matched with a Tubi exhaust, makes the hair at the back of my neck stand in a way that is hard to match.
if only its potential maintenance didnt scare people away....

Its less practical as daily driver or track day special the way a GT4 might be though so it depends what you're looking for.

With reference to the depreciation perhaps its referring to 355's values stabilising as a collectors item that is limited in supply vs. a current production car that is still being manufactured?

Ferrari F355 43842 HD Wallpaper Desktop - Res: 1200x800 | Hdwallpicts.com
ferrari f355-IzZw.jpg ferrari f355-pyjr.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was looking at 355/360's before I bought my Cayman. After joining local Ferrari club here in AZ, I picked up a wealth of information. One of the key decision makers for me was the service costs. A 355 needs a new timing belt roughly every 5000 miles, to put that in you need to drop the engine, for around $6k!

Also wanted a daily driver and Ferrari just doesn't tick that box. Everywhere you go, you get surrounded by interested car fans. With my Cayman I've got something totally reliable, easy and reasonable to service that doesn't attract too much attention when I go to Walmart! If I had the money, I'd get a 458 in heart beat, its is an amazing machine.

Machog

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ferrari's are awesome, no doubt... But I would expect the maintenance and upkeep on the Ferrari to be orders of magnitude greater than the Porsche. So while buying a used Ferrari might sound nice when only considering the price, these cars still have the maintenance bill of a $300k car. So if you have money to burn, buy the Ferrari. :)

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen before this thread goes in a wrong direction. I'm not in the market this year for any car. This thread I started was to share with you what the Ferrari world thinks about the GT4 vs one of their jewels.

You can read how they see the GT4, 911... etc. vs their F355, F360, F430... etc. Some of their comments were a bit edgy, but still interesting.

I enjoy reading our Porsche fans perspective on the same subject and on the opinion of our Ferrari rivals. Who wouldn't want a Ferrari & a Porsche in his garage? ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I want a car I can drive. These are not investments for me, they are outlets. I want to drive my cars without concern for resale value or how close I am to the next $10k+ service.

I also want a car that is low key. Around here at least Porsche's are a dime a dozen. Same at most track days. At the track my GT4 will be just another car in a sea of GT3's and track prepped Porsches.

If I want to drive it to work on a Friday or stop at a restaurant mid-Sunday drive, I will most likely be parking near other P- cars, Mercedes, Jaguars, etc. Nothing unusual, and that has value for me.

On the other hand, as great as the GT4 sounds, a 360 or 430 sounds way better!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Many Ferrari owners have a lot of respect for Porsche, but there are also many who see them as just another sporty car, like a Corvette. Many have a Ferrari and a Porsche in their stable. Most owners though would never sell their Ferrari for a Porsche (or at least wouldn't publicly state that they would, based on comments on their forum).

IMO, it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a great sports car to be used as a dependable daily driver, Ferrari is likely not the answer. If you want an exciting weekend driver to give you a different experience from your boring daily commute to work, I think Ferrari fits the bill. If you want an awesome track car, I would also go Porsche.

The F355 is one of the most beautiful Ferraris but arguably, also one of the most expensive to maintain. Reliability of newer Ferraris has definitely improved, and maintenance costs are reasonable. The F430 doesn't even have a belt to change. That said, all it takes is for one thing to break on your out-of-warranty Ferrari and you will have a very significant impact on your bank account. Not for the faint at heart.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It does seem that maintenance costs are much better now. Maybe fewer surprises as well? And to be fair, p-cars are not immune from expensive surprises themselves! ( see IMS)

If I had the garage and finances to support a car that I didn't drive that often, it would be a 430 scud. I absolutely love that car.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
It's a Ferrari forum so I am not surprised at the answers. Personally I would never consider a F355/360, it's starting to look dated, was cool in the 90's but we are not in the 90's anymore. I would love to buy a F430 Scuderia but that would mean I have to sell both Porsches and it's not a roadster. One Ferrari is not better than two Porsches, now if I have unlimited funds, a Ferrari in the garage parked next to the Porsches would be nice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My best friend owns a 1999 355 spyder that has cost him more in repairs than his purchase price of the car in 3 years. Major F1 problems that do not have replacement parts (a really long story that has resulted in Ferrari deciding that they may actually contact the original manufacturer of the trans to make new units and parts) among many other issues. My friend drives the car a lot and at 55K miles it has been a very fun driving experience and track days are awesome!! That being said it is a joke to replace parts that Ferrari themselves do not make. The fun per dollar amount is not as high as the badge would make you believe either as you can get a Porsche with similar performance for half the price. You are paying for the badge and what you feel or what you perceive others to think of you when you buy a Ferrari. To me though unless money is no object (which granted it is not for some) I would never buy a Ferrari of any kind instead of the wonderful machines Porsche makes. I have driven my buddies 355 as well as a 458 (which is indeed brilliant :D) and they do make you smile but the only way I would go w ith Ferrari is if I could afford a new one every 3 years and they stayed under warranty. Even at that the Porsche is still a far superior daily vehicle, maybe if I had that kind of money I would just have to have one of each!! :p

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Not interested in any car than can't be used as a 365 DD...snow, slush, ice conditions be damned. Both my GTS and CS would easily spank a 355 or a 360 on street and track, and cost dramatically less to maintain. A GT4 would make road kill of a 355 or 360. I can see why some folks like to have an older Ferrari to polish and take the occasional boulevard cruise, but no Ferrari could be used the way we use our Porsches.

While I wouldn't kick an F40, F50 or an Enzo out of my garage for dripping oil, nothing else from Ferrari is remotely interesting. There are a multitude of good reasons why "Ferrari" and "daily driver" are rarely seen together in a sentence.

Reactions: jpccarguy and sdj

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I test drove the new 458 and the older F430 Scuderia and I liked the 430 scud for the same reason I like the 997 over the 991 it was more raw, felt smaller, and a bit more old school. Unfortunately I like the looks of the 458 better as the 360/430 never did anything for me in the looks department.

I believe Ferrari finally switched to timing chains with the 430 model? I always wanted a 355 but didn't want the hassle of engine out belt changes every 5 years. (I've been through an engine failure when a rubber belt broke and never wanted to risk that mess again)

I also love the classic looks of the 308, which drives great when pushed, but drives like a boat at slow speeds. My theory is the 1970's chassis and tube frame construction makes the car feel clunky at normal traffic speeds.

I love Ferrari for the way their cars look. I drive a Porsche because I want a car I can put 250,000 miles on. When I've had exotic cars in the past, I was always in the wrong car at the wrong time... driving my Honda "beater" when I pull up next to a bus full of super models, and then driving the Ferrari when a cement mixer just dropped wet cement all over the road in front of me. I found the Porsche did a better job of giving you the best of both worlds with a race car that you can drive anywhere, and all the time ;)

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I've had exotic cars in the past, I was always in the wrong car at the wrong time... driving my Honda "beater" when I pull up next to a bus full of super models, and then driving the Ferrari when a cement mixer just dropped wet cement all over the road in front of me.
Priceless !!! :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
I love all three of these cars; however, I think the only similarity is that they are all sports cars. I think the original post was created to discuss at that price point would the Ferrari enthusiasts consider a Porsche. IMO they are completely different cars and now are used for different purposes:

The 355 was made from 1995-1999. It was Ferrari waking up from the reliability and performance disaster of the 348. Ever since I saw this car in "The Rock" I was in love with how low and sleek it looked. I would call this a style evolution from the 348 as they have a lot of similarities. From my observations and little time driving it I think its a great car for cruising, but I don't know how it would hold up on a track. I would also recommend the 5 speed over the F1. Prices are fairly low right now and probably will stay around 50-80K depending on condition. Maintenance on this thing is quite terrible and I agree with the sentiments posted above. The 360 was a revolutionary design over the 355. They were produced from 1999-2005. Overall, its just a step up from the 355 in terms of reliability, engineering, and performance (as expected). This is another car I see often and although designed for track duty don't know how it would also hold up. One of our family friends has this car and its used for driving to and from dinner. My thought is that 90% of Ferraris are truly used for this purpose and so few actually make it onto a track vs Porsche. Apart from newer Ferraris how often do you see 10+ year Ferraris on the track. In that regard, the newer GT4 is all track. I can see this being the +1 weekend track day duty car for a lot of people. I would venture to say that the number of people that actually DD this car is the number that DD Ferraris. All three cars were designed for motorsport, but I really think they cater to different people at this time. Also in terms of price point you can have a 355 for the price of a C/BS and a 360 for the price of a loaded C/B S / GTS / GT4.

My dream is to have a Ferrari (ideally a 458 soon or even a 488), but if I had to chose between these three I would pick the GT4.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm going to satiate my interest in driving a Ferrari at exotics racing in Las Vegas in a month or so.

As with any high end sports car I'd personally be most interested in how it felt cornering in full anger, the suspension working, the engine howling, me feeling the car and me sliding over the pavement. I frankly get nervous parking my CS and can't imagine how stressed I'd be parking a Ferrari. The whole fish bowl aspect doesn't really appear to me either.

If the experience of driving one leaves me slack jawed then maybe I'll keep it on a bucket dream list.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My next car will probably be an old Ferrari, but the 981BS is staying. However if the test drive doesn't blow me away then I'll be considering a GT3 or old 911 with the whale tail :).

I've done plenty of research over the years on the costs of owning various Ferrari models and the fixes that you can put in place to minimise the expense.

·
Registered
992 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the GT4 will come with a 4 year warranty and is even valid on the racetrack. Ferraris can be quite fragile and expensive to run. For example, an F355 has timing belts that must be changed every 5 years or more frequently. To perform this service the engine must be removed from the car and an average cost for this work is $8k. This is just one of many examples. They also have valve guide wear issues and exhaust manifold cracking issues. Beautiful cars, but the investment potential should be weighed against some of these issues to compute total cost of ownership. 360 is a little easier to run, but not that different. Better to opt for manual gearbox example...

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
ferrari.. if you have one of those models with a rubberband for a timming belt... i love the what the dealers tell you..

1) o ' you used the car.. those belt must be changed cause they are stretched and they might break .. you dont want that.. its very expensive to redoo a Ferrari motor..

2) o ' you did not use the car... those belts must be changed cause they were dry and brittle and they might break .. you dont want that.. its very expensive to redoo a Ferrari motor..

just my 2 cents..

Lemon

btw .. its about 8k to change the belts every 3 years..

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
its about 8k to change the belts every 3 years..

You wanna play with the big boys, then bring your check book, no?

What's that saying? "If you can't run with the big dogs, don't get off the porch"?

Besides, they all have stables. I'm jealous. I gotta work on filling one stinking barn with a few stalls.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts