Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am looking for advice I have a February build slot on hold for a boxster GTS. This car will be almost a year old before I even get to drive it and imagine will have a large amount of depreciation right away compounded by possibility of a significant change in the up coming new models. Do you think at this point it better to wait and see what is going to come out in 2015? Dealer is not offering any additional discounts over the usual 3%.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I'm not the expert on this but a Feb build slot should arrive on the east coast in April... not "that" long a wait. Check out the posts on 981 Waiter's Club!
And, I don't get the "depreciation" comment -- you know what you will pay when you took the build slot, that is it. And w/r to the discount, I too am waiting for a GTS (Cayman) and your discount is in the same ball park as what I agreed to -- GTS's are commanding a bit more than non-GTS's.

Now, about that waiting. I am of the opinion that "our" GTS models will be well regarded and that future cars will be so different (OK, the GT4 may trump the GTS but give up some creature comforts ??) with the corporate move to turbo flat 4's. "Our" GTS's normally aspirated Flat 6's will be the high point of the mid-engined platform. Simply GTS's > 718's, In my opinion. So, why wait for a 718 with a less desirable motor --- go with the GTS!
D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Aside from what changes are ACTUALLY coming to the boxster/ cayman in the near future, I would suggest to go for the MY 2016. Just three more months wait will get you a 2016 instead of 2015 and you can get it mid to late July if you change your order pronto. You'll probably pay $1200-1500 more in MSRP increase and a few options might change or disappear, some for the better some for the worse. But You'll save at least $7500 in depreciation, more if you option your car a lot more. It could go something like this: $9000 Depreciation Savings but $1200 increase in Stock MSRP= $7800. For just 3 extra months wait.

Also I think you can do better in getting more % off MSRP therefore increasing your savings. Get a bunch of emails of nearby Porsche dealers (at least 8) and send them the same identical inquiry. Tell them you are serious and let them bid for your business. No phone calls or visits until you like what read from them. Get it in writing through emails and when you sit down with them also, your order sheet should say X% off optioned car price.

Good luck with everything.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
You assuming the changes will be all good. The might not be. It can be totally different smaller engine with turbo lag, going back to round vents (seen that on spy shots)on the dash etc etc.

In the end you might loose a few grands for a model year (but def not $7500) - you have to see if that really worth waiting and not driving. If it is - then you can save even more buy waiting two years! Or 5... :)

What you really need to do is to find another dealer. 3% is laughable. I got that on fresh and hot 981S preordering before they even started to manufacture 981's... 6-8% is what you should look for and average discount on our cars in US right now.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I haven't seen anyone here come remotely close to 6-8% off a custom ordered GTS. Just puttin' that out there.

That said... I feel like all the stars aligned perfectly for me to buy my car when I did. During the time that I was waiting and saving, the prices were creeping up and new options became available that I wanted. When I finally had enough to buy, I only barely managed to get my car for a price I was comfortable with without compromising anything I wanted. So for my part, if I'd waited for 2016, I imagine I wouldn't have found a way to be nearly as happy about my car, whether because I'd have to give up on options I really wanted, or because I'd be paying far more than I could be happy about.

Forgetting about the speculative things we're not sure about such as the engine types, we already know about a couple options that are on the way. These are the fancy new MFW and the new quad-LED headlights. On the 911, those headlights are quite pricey but I'd have wanted them if they were available. If I compound those things with the inevitable inflationary rise in the base price, I'd have been essentially screwed.

If you can't afford what you really want right now, it's worth waiting and saving. If you're just waiting to see what's new and right around the corner though... well... you might as well just wait forever. There's always going to be something coming.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I haven't seen anyone here come remotely close to 6-8% off a custom ordered GTS. Just puttin' that out there.
Is there a thread specifically about GTS discounts in US somewhere? I assume GTS is just another trim of 981, and 6-8% is going rate in US for 981...

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Am looking for advice I have a February build slot on hold for a boxster GTS. This car will be almost a year old before I even get to drive it and imagine will have a large amount of depreciation right away compounded by possibility of a significant change in the up coming new models. Do you think at this point it better to wait and see what is going to come out in 2015? Dealer is not offering any additional discounts over the usual 3%.
I do relate to your concern. If it was me, I wouldn't.

However, I did so last month. And ordered a 991 knowing in the 2015 they'll release the .2 generation.
Regret it? No.
I don't question my move? I still do.

However with the release of the GT4 expected this month, I'd hold my horses if I were you in case you prefer it over the current variants.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Is there a thread specifically about GTS discounts in US somewhere? I assume GTS is just another trim of 981, and 6-8% is going rate in US for 981...
There is, and it's pretty much universal that people cannot get the same discount on a GTS that they get on a base or S for ordered cars. Your assumption should hold water, and I made the same one when I went to buy, but in reality the dealers seem to be holding back and treating the GTS as though it were more limited than Porsche seems to have intended.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Why wait until the next model year? Next year, you might say the same thing...why not wait for that model year? If you are ready now, then go for it.

As far as depreciation goes....are you buying the car for you or someone else that is going to buy it from you? If you are going to sell it soon after you buy it then maybe this is a consideration.

If you have other more important things appropriately funded such as an emergency fund, kid's college, retirement and house, then buying the car now is a no brainer (IMHO).

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Yea, just to confirm WW's observation that prices for an ordered GTS are NOT discounted to the same level as a Cayman S, especially one on a lot !
In discussions with my dealer, he came out and said, ".... but if you want a 'S', I can do a lot better (than 3%-whatever)". And I got that from more than one dealer when shopping.

w/r to depreciation, I must be getting old/dense/whatever -- I still don't see how a GTS in May (understand its a 2015) gets hit with more depreciation than a GTS delivered in Aug (yes a 2016) ---I understand that it will still be a 981.1. And waiting more than that gets you into the 981.2/718 (MY2017) with whatever rumors come to be true.

If you like the GTS you ordered, I bet you will love it when it arrives. That's where my head is at, waiting for my GTS to arrive.
D

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
To be fair... there's evidence that 2016 will bring us the 981.2 so if we're talking about depreciation differences between a 2015 and 2016 model, then there could be something to consider there. That said... there is not yet evidence that there will be a 2016 GTS model. It's been suggested that the GTS could be the swan song of the 981.1 and be a one shot deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback. I am just not used to having to make this kind of decision without most of the relevant information. I spoke with my SA she is concerned about availability of allocations, I have no idea what residuals would be come the spring, new models etc. It was not even my intention to buy a Porsche, I am driving a S5 cab now and love the car. One day I stopped at a Porsche dealer and they had a bgts just in and the SA offered me the keys and said take a ride. I pulled out put the top down and that was it I had the biggest smile on when I came back the feel of the car and the sound was, well if you have driven one you know. So now just waiting for the audi to come off lease in the spring and I have another car if need be. Oh well decisions decisions. I'll probably order the 2015 and enjoy the ride and worry later about values or whether or not a 2 seats sports car was the right choice. I just keep thinking about that big grin I had.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Yea, just to confirm WW's observation that prices for an ordered GTS are NOT discounted to the same level as a Cayman S, especially one on a lot !
In discussions with my dealer, he came out and said, ".... but if you want a 'S', I can do a lot better (than 3%-whatever)". And I got that from more than one dealer when shopping.

w/r to depreciation, I must be getting old/dense/whatever -- I still don't see how a GTS in May (understand its a 2015) gets hit with more depreciation than a GTS delivered in Aug (yes a 2016) ---I understand that it will still be a 981.1. And waiting more than that gets you into the 981.2/718 (MY2017) with whatever rumors come to be true.

If you like the GTS you ordered, I bet you will love it when it arrives. That's where my head is at, waiting for my GTS to arrive.
D

Because in 2018 for example, you (or tohers) will be plugging in two different model years into Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds price estimator and it will make a difference in depreciation. No one know and the system doesn't know that they were bought a couple months apart. It's still a year older model.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
It's not about model year as much as it's being close to model change. If you wait few months you'd get the .2 model instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In addition your assuming there will be GTS trim avail in 2016. Just place your order because we all know what porsche offers now who knows what it will be in 2016

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Because in 2018 for example, you (or tohers) will be plugging in two different model years into Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds price estimator and it will make a difference in depreciation. No one know and the system doesn't know that they were bought a couple months apart. It's still a year older model.
Got it... like I said, I'm dense sometimes..
thanks. D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts