Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so please be gentle. So presently I drive a 2014 Subaru WRX which I love.

There are things however that I don't love.

One being the stereotypical image of the driver, me, the brakes I don't really care for nor the body roll while cornering.

So I was trying to decide whether or not to buy a base Subaru STi, addresses some of those issues but then I got to thinking. For the same money that I can buy an STi for I could buy a used Cayman!

To me the Cayman is a small, light, refined and reasonably powerful true sports car. Already is well setup handling and brake wise, unlike the STi which is basically a little monster that will bite you in the arse if you don't pay attention. Plus the STi almost requires you to act and look like a hooligan!

So today I stopped by the local Porsche dealer to have a chat and learn a little about the Cayman. One concern is the cost to maintain it. According to him it's basically an annual $500 maintenance which includes the oil and every four years about a $1100 service. He also implied that the cars are fairly problem free especially if I buy a CPO one.

So anyway, I would love some feedback about buying a used one, especially since this would be my first ever...

About me, 49yo, always had off road vehicles, motorcycles and ventured into the sports car realm last year for the first time. Did a summer of Auto-x which I thoroughly enjoyed plus a couple of advanced driving courses. Plan on doing a couple more this year especially track days.

Plans for the car are a daily driver in SW Ontario so lots of crappy weather, snow etc plus Auto-x again with some track time too. I'm most definitely looking for a drivers car and am looking at the Cayman S.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Given that you live in Canada and say you plan to use it as a DD, a light weight RWD sportscar may not be the best thing.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I do not own a Cayman (yet) so I do not know how they handle in the snow... But I have driven plenty of RWD sportscars and I know the pitfalls of winter with that kind of setup.

At the very least, you would probably need a set of winter wheels with snow tires and change them out when the weather gets bad...

Another consideration, do you need the back seat of extra cargo room? If so, you may not be happy with just a two-seater.

My opinion, keep the WRX, pay it off and use it as a DD. Save your pennies, and buy a Cayman S or GTS in a few years to have as a weekend toy.

Reactions: BryantH

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
One concern is the cost to maintain it. According to him it's basically an annual $500 maintenance which includes the oil and every four years about a $1100 service. .
Welcome.

Just remember this one thing. Regardless of what year you buy or how much you pay for it, depending upon the year you buy you will not be doing maintenance on a car that costs what you paid, but on the the original cost. For example, if you bought a 2006 Cayman S for $23,000. You are not doing maintenance on a $23,000 car but on a $65,000 car. It's also more than oil changes but brake bleed every two years and you will go through rear tires and batteries. Of course, you can go to an independent shop or do maintenance yourself.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Given that you live in Canada and say you plan to use it as a DD, a light weight RWD sportscar may not be the best thing.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I do not own a Cayman (yet) so I do not know how they handle in the snow... But I have driven plenty of RWD sportscars and I know the pitfalls of winter with that kind of setup.

At the very least, you would probably need a set of winter wheels with snow tires and change them out when the weather gets bad...

Another consideration, do you need the back seat of extra cargo room? If so, you may not be happy with just a two-seater.

My opinion, keep the WRX, pay it off and use it as a DD. Save your pennies, and buy a Cayman S or GTS in a few years to have as a weekend toy.
Both our Cayman S and GTS are daily drivers, 365 days a year including some of the worst winter conditions on the planet. With winter wheels and tires it's not a problem. If you are truly looking for a driver's car, the Cayman is in a different league than a WRX, and while an STi has the cojones power-wise, it doesn't really compare to a Cayman S in terms of balance, sophistication and build quality.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
ask yourself this..

would you get more play in the cayman or STI..

which would a lady preffer to ride in WRX sti or Porsche Cayman...

no brainer to me..

Lemon

btw. caymans has footwell lighting.. see those nice legs.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Although I came from a background of multiple 3 series BMWs, not Subaru, I suspect you will feel a corresponding order of magnitude difference in handling and enjoyment with the Cayman as I did when I went from AWD BMW to a used 06 CS. You won't care about the differences in routine maintenance, it will be well worth it. At 49 years old, don't wait any longer. Take a test drive as soon as you can.

The one area of concern will be winter driving. You WILL notice a decrease in confidence on snow compared to AWD, and you MUST have snow tires on the Cayman as a daily driver in the north country. With good tread in my 06, I had no issues on plowed snow with performance snow tires. However, for some reason that is not clear to me, my new GTS, despite new but same brand tire on same 18" rims is having difficulty. (I am now over inflating by 4 PSI over Porsche recommendation, hope it will help).

I would strongly recommend an aggressive true winter tread rather than performance snows if you plan to routinely drive in the snow, preferably with dedicated winter rims.

·
Registered
290 Posts

The Cayman works 'okay' in the snow because the weight is closer to the rear wheels. The car choice also depends on what the posters hobbies are. If he's like skiing/snowboarding or other outdoor activities that require off-roading, Subaru's are a great choice. WRX/STIs are also very popular auto-X cars and in the hands of skilled drivers, are top performers. A Cayman is an overall more fun car and better car for cruising twisty roads. It all boils down to what you like to do. Personally, I'm an outdoorsy guy, and if I could only have one car it would be an WRX/STI. But as mentioned above, the best of both worlds is to keep the WRX and save for a Cayman (hopefully soon)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Budget permitting (comments regarding total-cost-of-ownership are, in my opinion, relevant), I'd go for the Cayman. I had a bunch of Subarus: they are fantastic, high-value cars.

The Cayman, though… ah, driving bliss.
I'd recommend at full set of winter tires and a full set of summer tires, each with its own set of wheels. Winter tires are a must, in my opinion (and required in Quebec).

My vote: go for the Cayman; it's a journey and the Cayman will allow you to enjoy the ride. :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Already is well setup handling and brake wise, unlike the STi which is basically a little monster that will bite you in the arse if you don't pay attention.
LOL. If you think the STi is a hooligan you might not get out much. At most a grumpy mut compared to the Cayman's pussycat.
Did a summer of Auto-x which I thoroughly enjoyed plus a couple of advanced driving courses. Plan on doing a couple more this year especially track days.
Sounds like the bug has bitten... What's your upper limit on price, can you stretch to a 996 GT3? Maintenance would be more too... but it might be worth it IMHO...

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you only have one car, the STi will be more practical. However, the Cayman will probably put a bigger smile on your face.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
My experience with a 10-year-old Boxster was that maintenance was not cheap. But I couldn't stand going back to a normal car so I had to buy a new Boxster. Other cars feel dangerously ponderous and hard to stop, too.

·
Registered
507 Posts
First post so please be gentle. So presently I drive a 2014 Subaru WRX which I love.

There are things however that I don't love.

One being the stereotypical image of the driver, me, the brakes I don't really care for nor the body roll while cornering.

So I was trying to decide whether or not to buy a base Subaru STi, addresses some of those issues but then I got to thinking. For the same money that I can buy an STi for I could buy a used Cayman!

To me the Cayman is a small, light, refined and reasonably powerful true sports car. Already is well setup handling and brake wise, unlike the STi which is basically a little monster that will bite you in the arse if you don't pay attention. Plus the STi almost requires you to act and look like a hooligan!

So today I stopped by the local Porsche dealer to have a chat and learn a little about the Cayman. One concern is the cost to maintain it. According to him it's basically an annual $500 maintenance which includes the oil and every four years about a $1100 service. He also implied that the cars are fairly problem free especially if I buy a CPO one.

So anyway, I would love some feedback about buying a used one, especially since this would be my first ever...

About me, 49yo, always had off road vehicles, motorcycles and ventured into the sports car realm last year for the first time. Did a summer of Auto-x which I thoroughly enjoyed plus a couple of advanced driving courses. Plan on doing a couple more this year especially track days.

Plans for the car are a daily driver in SW Ontario so lots of crappy weather, snow etc plus Auto-x again with some track time too. I'm most definitely looking for a drivers car and am looking at the Cayman S.
You will lovvveee the cayman, its on a whole other level of good. The STI for me is a 'good' car, but its not a sports car, the cayman will be so much more fun and rewarding to drive. If you need the 4 seats then maybe the STI is for you but if you're looking for true driver connection and fun, the cayman is going to be the best choice. Truly, I almost wanna tell you to not waste your money on an STI.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The Porsche is going to be a lot smoother of a boxer engine than those Subarus. Budget 10x for maintenance and mods. Literally if something was $400 on Subaru it will be $4000 on Porsche.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a 2007 Cayman S. It was a great car. People would ask me what it was like I and would say, you are approaching a corner and the car asks how fast would you like to go around this, you would say I would like to go xxx kph/mph please, and the car would say ok, lets go. You'd pick a speed and the car would just do it. I drove it the first winter I had it and it handled it no problem as it was a light snow year. We then started to get more and more snow and snow berms in parking lots and driveways. Next year I leased a WRX. It was a good car and much better in the snow but not comparable to the Cayman in the summer. The Cayman was a well made and engineered "machine" but the WRX was a bit crude and clunky and noisy in comparison. WRX's are great values and resale is great. My WRX crapped it's bearings/engine so I returned it after the lease was up and I got an STI. The STI was better everything compared to the WRX. I loved driving it in the snow/ice. It made winter driving fun. Just gun it around a corner and it fights like crazy to go fast and where you point it. Driving the STI on snow/ice in the winter gives me that rewarding feeling as driving the Cayman did in summer. I still don't love the gear changes in the STI. It slowed the car down too much. Depress clutch pedal, start to move gear lever, have a drink of coffee, finish shifting, release clutch.

In the end in my opinion they are too/two different cars with different purposes. Having both would be best but if I had to choose one or the other I would base it on what I enjoyed more; the summer driving performance or winter driving performance. Do you want an all wheel drive car that is great in snow and ok in the summer or a road car that is great in the summer and will get by in the winter?

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
214 Posts
"I'm debating on rooting for the Seahawks or the Patriots. Since you are all Seahawks fans, I'd love to hear your opinions...."

On the other hand you'll get all the reasons to cheer for the Patriots if you go on NASIOC.

Just go drive them both as they are each great cars, but hugely different. You'll know after the test drives.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Had a 2005 WRX, fun car - much more practical that a boxster/ cayman. Sat in the new WRX/STI and while it's very clean, it's also very plain.
Agree with the others - STI will be more practical but the cayman will be more enjoyable. Plenty of posters here who run their cayman all year with winters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Been great.

Right now here in the "Great White North" there doesn't seem to be too much available. Found this one in Alberta, looks nice, thoughts?

Serviced at this dealer with all service records, only faults so far are a ding DS rear fender, scuffs on DS rims, cracked windshield but not enough to effect safety. TPMS replaced and two sets of tires, winter and summer but one set of rims.

·
Registered
182 Posts
In the end in my opinion they are too/two different cars with different purposes. Having both would be best but if I had to choose one or the other I would base it on what I enjoyed more; the summer driving performance or winter driving performance. Do you want an all wheel drive car that is great in snow and ok in the summer or a road car that is great in the summer and will get by in the winter?

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps.
what he said. I have a 2008 Cayman S and a 2015 WRX. They are very different cars. I use both as daily drivers. The Cayman is more of a drivers car. The WRX is fun to drive, just not as much fun as the Cayman. If I had to have only one car where I live it would be the Cayman. If I lived in snow country it would probably be the WRX.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not an easy decision. I've driven STIs on various occasions including driver trainings. They are rock solid and almost indestructible, handle well, quick, easy to mod and a lot of punch. Guzzle fuel like mad if driven properly, 12-15mpg, on my Cayman R I get 20-25mpg.

So why did I get a Cayman? Love mid engine cars, it's my third after two Lotus. Handling is superb. But similar age, mileage and condition, the Cayman was €52k, while a Subi WRX STI is €30-35k. Cars are a hobby, so I was happy to spend some money and as I was also looking at used 991 GT3 (though very few around used), I thought the Cayman was sensible. If I'd not have been able to afford my dream Cayman (R, with bucket seats, PDK, ...), I'd have bought a STI.

Should I ever need a second car with 4 seats aside my Macan, I'd buy a used STi and keep the Cayman.

Have you ever driven a Cayman? Try it, you will now very quickly whether mid engine is for you or not (same for me, I can tell you that 911 are not for me, exception are GT3s because they are so raw...). All down to personal preferences...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts