Votes: 17 19.3%
  • I'll wait to buy a used GT4 one day

Votes: 13 14.8%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, most members here have been anticipating for months the release of the GT4. Many too who are track addicted, mid-engine biased, mod freaks look forward for the perfect 981 produced by Porsche.

Assuming the price is right for you and the hp / performance is NOT just a marketing scheme from Porsche but a fulfilling one to the GT4 badge. How many of you would be in line to buy or trade in his 911 / 981 / 987 for a GT4?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Given my GTS has 400mi on it, I *will* be in line, but not right away! I hope to get to a point where I can keep my GTS and buy a GT4 (or a GT3 even...) All my friends with GT3s have other cars for DD and occasional duties. The GT3 is not the most likely DD. (I will admit my GTS really is!)

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Don't think many people be in line. You can assume what you want, but what you'll get is 3.4 engine still detuned below 911. My bet is +10HP on GTS. For like 20 more grand...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Don't think many people be in line. You can assume what you want, but what you'll get is 3.4 engine still detuned below 911. My bet is +10HP on GTS. For like 20 more grand...
This wouldn't make any sense at all. :) I expect it to outperform the base 911's, but to be priced accordingly.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I dont really see an option for me, but I chose, "Never". I have no interest in trading my 981 for a GT4, regardless of spec. If anything, and feel free to call me crazy, in hindsight I feel I would have been perfectly happy with a 2.7!

However, if I didn't have a 981 already, a GT4 would be a strong contender, though I think I'd go with a base model and mostly optionless 991 instead - I'm not a track junkie.

Reactions: wisedog

·
Registered
848 Posts
No option for me, I'm still learning to deal with a Cayman S, I don't need a harder core car at the moment.

Has it actually been announced yet, or is this still rumor?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It looks great, I say it looks better than a 991 GT3 but I didn't buy the 981 for a fix top so not anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
an intersting question... I didn't vote for "never", but rather, I'm attached to my 987/981. Actually, for me, I'm thinking that the GTS is a better car since I need to live with it as I get older (e.g. into 70's), I enjoy the creature comforts and I think the GT4 would be too hard core. And the price.
So, maybe I should have voted "never" --- which, interestingly is getting a lot of hits!
D

·
Registered
746 Posts
My GTS only has 2700 mi on it, so realistcally I'm not getting an additional GT4 nor willing to lose big $$$ on a trade in. However, depending on the actual specs and price (and having 6MT available), I would talk to the dealer and see what it would hypothetically cost. I'd be willing to lose about $5k, but would still need to convince the wife :hilarious:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I think the GT4 is VERY interesting, but it would have to tick off a bunch of boxes before I seriously considered selling my GTS to get one: at least 375 hp, price closer to a base 911 than a GT3, an option to get the Euro Sport buckets...and the ability to order it de-contented (i.e. no PSE or PTV, and a half dozen other current Porsche options that are popular that I wouldn't want on a car).

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
This is my plan (but it changes every month or so too).: :) Keep my 981 and buy a 911. I am not interested in ever buying an intentionally detuned Porsche ever again including the GT4 which looks like it is going to land with a detuned 3.8L NA at 380hp (and ECU encrypted). It's like Dell making two great computers with the same processor but then lowering the clock speed of one of them just to protect the speed of the other. Doesn't make sense to me and I wont be a pawn in that game. Maybe Porsche marketers are counting on guys like me stepping up to a 911 and I got played from that perspective. lol

I have to wait 5 years though because by that time, my kids will be through college, my house will be paid off and I will be awash in cash at age 53. Right now, it would be a C4GTS with aero kit for about 135k.

....and my Lexus has to last another 5 years too....it has 135k miles on it. If that goes, then I will have to buy another daily driver which will mess up my plans. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am not interested in ever buying an intentionally detuned Porsche ever again including the GT4 which looks like it is going to land with a detuned 3.8L NA at 380hp (and ECU encrypted).
But they are effectively all intentionally de-tuned, simply to a greater of lesser degree... Think you can name one that isn't?

·
4,088 Posts
But they are effectively all intentionally de-tuned, simply to a greater of lesser degree... Think you can name one that isn't?
Ok....I will bite. The C4GTS is making 430hp from a 3.8L. Sure you can get more power with a Turbo or changing a lot of engine parts but that is not "detuning" from where I sit. Maybe you have a different definition of detuning. How can the Turbo S be "detuned" unless you are considering that the necessity to comply with emissions or some other regulation is detuning? I don't.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok....I will bite. The C4GTS is making 430hp from a 3.8L. Sure you can get more power with a Turbo or changing a lot of engine parts but that is not "detuning" from where I sit. Maybe you have a different definition of detuning.
De-tuned as in not built to their full potential...

When Porsche introduced the Mezger engine they designed it as a modular 2.0 liter with "a little room for expansion". Five decades later that same basic block was at 4.0 liters, having swapped pistons, cylinders and crank to ever larger sizes as more power was needed. The initial motors were intentionally "de-tuned" to leave room for future expansion.

The new 9A1 is a modular engine is similar, having an identical 118 mm bore spacing, and they use the same block with a spread of bore sizes between 89 and 102mm. However it's again clear that there is plenty of room in the block to go bigger. Why not? Because Porsche builds in room for expansion and future performance enhancement. If they keep the NA motor we'll see 4.0 or greater...

Now ignoring fuel economy it would probably cost Porsche less to make all the current 9A1 motors the same 3.8 liters and share more parts for economies of scale. The 3.8 already shares most of its parts with the smaller motors (bottom), so essentially everything below the 3.8 is de-tuned, it's just a question of using software or hardware. And I might argue that even the 3.8L is de-tuned in the same way the original 2.0L was: they cold put 4.0L in the same block, again for essentially the same cost.

Porsche very rarely builds to the limit of their ability in terms of power. Instead we consistently get what they deem is "enough".

·
4,088 Posts
De-tuned as in not built to their full potential...
Well, we obviously have very different perspectives on what de-tuning means. To me, it is altering the same 3.4L engine to produce different HP by changing the ECU programming - At ZERO COST BTW. So intentionally detuning the 911 3.4 or 3.8 to protect the inferior outdated "icon" that I am eventually going to purchase is just really irritating to me. :)

But heck....you've been on here since 2008 and only 37 posts? ...and now about 8 posts in Jan 2015. You need to get on here more. Your exploded diagrams are pretty cool.:cheers:

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Well, we obviously have very different perspectives on what de-tuning means. To me, it is altering the same 3.4L engine to produce different HP by changing the ECU programming - At ZERO COST BTW.
Sorry, Pete is right. The GTS or a X51 C2S (and a 50th is an X51 car) has the port and polished heads and cam (power like in the old days). The C2S is the detuned version, cheaper version of the engine. Similarly, the TTS has the powerkit over the TT (in terms of engine). The TT is detuned. Its a matter of marketing.

They could easily just sell a TTS and X51 engines (not going to call it a GTS because the add some cosmetic bits). No need for a TT or C2S. But the do because then the get to sell 18 different models - And, more or less, the are all detuned except for the X51 cars and the TTS. In fact, even the GT3 is a detuned GT3RS, no? And a GT2 was on the top and the GT3 detuned.

Think, how did people make power back in the day? They port and polished the head, and put on a radical cam. That is exactly what Porsche does.

Pete is right.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Exactly. Makes much more sense to wait for the end of the existing warranty on your 981 and upgrade it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts