Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first what a great forum!! I am in the market for a 06-08' Cayman under 100 miles. But I am a newbie to Cayman ownership. I have NO IDEA what to look for in regards to service maintenance, routine maint, things that should have been done, things to look for etc. Are there certain items that wear out on these years models, certain years to avoid, recalls? As I search and look for the right cayman what are the things I need to be aware and looking for? Any help would be great...

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Hi everyone, first what a great forum!! I am in the market for a 06-08' Cayman under 100 miles. But I am a newbie to Cayman ownership. I have NO IDEA what to look for in regards to service maintenance, routine maint, things that should have been done, things to look for etc. Are there certain items that wear out on these years models, certain years to avoid, recalls? As I search and look for the right cayman what are the things I need to be aware and looking for? Any help would be great...
There are several posts on this forum that it would pay to search for and read. If you still have questions afterwards just post them in those threads that you encounter during your forum search.

·
Registered
195 Posts
With the Cayman newer is better, the IMS is updated on the 07. Get a good PPI, make sure you get an over rev report. Common issues for the 987.1 are AOS, shift cables, and CCU controls peeling. Do a search and you'll get even better information.

·
Registered
232 Posts
With the Cayman newer is better, the IMS is updated on the 07. Get a good PPI, make sure you get an over rev report. Common issues for the 987.1 are AOS, shift cables, and CCU controls peeling. Do a search and you'll get even better information.
Actually the IMSB was updated (larger bearing) in all 2006-2008 in Caymans. 2009 and later cars received a new engine design eliminating the IMS. But, the IMS has not been a big problem for Caymans due to the larger bearing.

You might search the forum with words such as common problems, buyers guides, reliability, weakness, etc.

Look for timely maintenance such as frequent oil changes (5-7K miles), brakes bled every couple years, plugs replaced at 40K miles, serpentine belt at about the same mileage, fresh tires. If the car has been tracked, you might want to see oil supply mods and replaced AOS. Check for over-revs as the rod bolts don't like this very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts