Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of buying a 2013 Boxster S. should I get the PPI or is it a waste of money. the car has 9800 miles. Also,does it make sense to buy this car now or should I wait until March?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I didn't have a ppi. I loved the car and bought it sight unseen. I spoke to non porsche dealership and worked it out over phone. I saw it in person checked all panels, looked under, and condition was perfect as described. I bought it knowing that s bit was left to mystery but I was ok with that knowing I still had warranty for 3 more years. I didn't consider a PPI for this car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not enough information. If it's a private party and the car has 9800 miles on it, has it been serviced at a dealer? I should have at least one oil & filter change. Even though it's under warranty I think I would get a PPI at a dealer to make sure they're good with the service history so that you don't have any issues getting warranty repairs.

Is it a manual or PDK? On some forum threads there have been discussions of getting the dealer readout of overrevs for cars with a manual transmission. If it's being sold by a Porsche dealer I think I would ask about getting it Porsche Certified to get the extended warranty benefit... probably a couple of thousand dollars more that without it.

You're probably spending a considerable amount for a one or two-year-old car; the additional cost of PPI would be insignificant.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Hi!

I was in the same spot as you in October. I bought my car sight unseen in person but bought it from a Porsche dealer that included a CPO. They did a PPI there which I received the full report on. I know that if this car was from a non Porsche dealer I would most definitely get a PPI done. I know that member Ynot bought his BS at a non Porsche dealer and got his PPI at the dealer I purchased mine.

I too was thinking about waiting until March as I was going to store my car over the winter. I was very happy with the deal I received and I really do not think you would be saving lots of money in March as there will be lots more competition for these vehicles.

As as another member has said, see it, like it, buy it.

good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. The car is from a private seller and it is a manual with one service already. I was having second thoughts about buying a car and then storing it for a few months.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Thanks for the help. The car is from a private seller and it is a manual with one service already. .
Manual, Yes, get the PPI. Do not just buy it "because it looks good". You need to see the DME report because you have no idea if the engine has been abused. Check the over rev report.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't think anybody would argue that a PPI is ever a waste of money....but I have never had one done on a car before purchasing. Inevitably there is always something you discover about the car after you buy it that you didn't know before hand...some good and some not so good.
Also.....if you find the car you want, the time to buy it is when you see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I bought my '14 Cayman without a PPI. Only because it's a PDK and it's pretty darn hard to hurt the motor with a PDK. Had my car been a manual....I would have at least paid to have a dealer tell me the over-rev details. Even then....if the over-rev came back OK....I'm still 50/50 on whether I would have paid for a full PPI or not.

I did pay for a PPI on an '02 Boxster S a year and a half ago and unfortunately for me, it was a total waste of money and completely incorrect with the issues the car had.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I once bought a base model 987 and was told by the independent dealer who sold me the car that a PPI would be a waste of time. I did it anyway. In a sense he was right, in that all it bought me was peace of mind. (The car was mint except for tires I could see with the naked eye.)

But while, in your case, the chance that such a new car would reveal problems is quite small, enough Porsches are tracked so that in this case I agree with CHOWS--best to spend the money despite the existing warranty. At the very least it'll buy you a good night's sleep.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Buying without a PPI used to be right up there with starting a land war in Asia or entering your local newspaper's "Draw Mohammed" contest. But these cars are proving to be both very reliable and utterly opaque to modern-day mechanics, who are helpless to do anything with a car that isn't displaying an active fault code. It may well be a waste of money.

I'd say check Carfax, have the dealer pull an overrev report, and maybe have someone go over it with a paint-thickness gauge if you're worried about hidden damage. Then call it good. I don't see any point in opening up the engine compartment or pulling any hard-to-reach access panels. If the dealer is willing to CPO the car and sell you a cheap extended warranty, that could be worthwhile as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts