Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if this is a good time to buy a Cayman or if it might be better to wait for the warmer weather. On the plus side, I suspect that the deals may be better at this time of year than in the spring. On the minus side, I'm wondering if "breaking in" a Cayman in winter is best for the car. I would be using the car through the winter as a daily driver and would be parking the car at night in an unheated garage. I live in Northern New Jersey so there would be plenty of cold starts during the break in period. Would that be a concern? Thanks.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Another consideration is wheels and tires. The OEM tires are extreme performance summer tires. I am not sure of the weather in your area, but if it is like most of the country this time of year, another set of tires that are more winter friendly might be in the cards for you.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Northern NJ huh? We have a ton of owners in that area, go check out the Nor'Easter section!

The only thing you'll need is a set of winter tires and wheels. Since it'll be a daily driver, you won't need a battery tender. We have several folks in the same area that run their Caymans during the winter with no issues.

Local dealer stock on Caymans seems kind of sparse right now but best of luck in your hunt and don't hesistate to ask about anything.

Start your search with some of the local dealer sponsors such as Ray Catena Porsche or Huntington Porsche.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Future, I'm in the same boat except I'm buying a used car. Just in case you may; one consideration I recently discovered is that the lease cars will come up for sale in larger numbers in the spring. Most peeps started their lease in the spring.... I'm 4 hours north of you and two sets of wheels/tires will be a must for me. C.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My advice would be to shop around now, but if you don't find a killer deal, wait till spring. I personally would find it hard to take a new car into the slush and salt of the NE. It's like getting that first scratch.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I personally would find it hard to take a new car into the slush and salt of the NE. It's like getting that first scratch.
It only takes a few times looking at it with a good layer of dirt to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I agree, I would buy now if you can find a 2009... There seems to be very little 2010's being built and deals will be more difficult to come by. Porsche is correcting over saturated dealer inventory, preventing deep discounts which at the end bring resale/profit down.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
An unheated garage is better than a heated one with respect to corrosion and other related damage- if it ain't melted, it ain't as likely to cause problems. Downside is scraping the ice from that soft windshield.
You can check e-bay for used sets of winter tires/wheels from right off this site. If you want new and also want TPMS, you'll spend around $2000 (and as far up as you want to go) for a second set of tires/wheels.
You can sure that somewhere, there will be a salesman who, in February, would gnaw his arm off to sell you a car, from a dealer who wants to lose a floor plan expense. These cars aren't like whiskey in the barrel; a lot/showroom car doesn't get more valuable or better with age.

For example, here's a new/old one - 2008 CPO w/ 169 miles. Its sat at my local dealer for at least 18 months that I know of. Guess people don't like the color....

http://inskip.porschedealer.com/2008/Porsche/Cayman+S/Warwick/RI/Metallic+Paint+to+Sample/grey/527648/info.phphttp://

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
An unheated garage is better than a heated one with respect to corrosion and other related damage- if it ain't melted, it ain't as likely to cause problems. Downside is scraping the ice from that soft windshield.
You can check e-bay for used sets of winter tires/wheels from right off this site. If you want new and also want TPMS, you'll spend around $2000 (and as far up as you want to go) for a second set of tires/wheels.
You can sure that somewhere, there will be a salesman who, in February, would gnaw his arm off to sell you a car, from a dealer who wants to lose a floor plan expense. These cars aren't like whiskey in the barrel; a lot/showroom car doesn't get more valuable or better with age.

For example, here's a new/old one - 2008 CPO w/ 169 miles. Its sat at my local dealer for at least 18 months that I know of. Guess people don't like the color....

http://inskip.porschedealer.com/2008/Porsche/Cayman+S/Warwick/RI/Metallic+Paint+to+Sample/grey/527648/info.phphttp://
Your link didn't work... use this one instead:
Inskip Porsche -- 2008 Certified Porsche Cayman S, Metallic Paint to Sample

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you can find a deal (which I am sure you can) jump on it.
Now is a fantastic time to buy a car.
A call to tire rack and a minimal investment in winter tires and maybe wheels and you're good to go.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Very unusual paint color!

Someone must have ordered it with paint to sample and then backed out of the sale. Car has good equipment. I would think about 10K off that price would be a decent buy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the comments. In Northern NJ I would definitely need to change the summer tires for winter driving. I was wondering if there is any negative effect on the motor of breaking in the car during a cold time of the year when the oil may not be lubricating the engine parts as well as during the warmer time of the year. Any thoughts on that issue? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
You will always get the best deals if you buy when nobody else is buying. That's how I've bought all my Porsches in the past.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. In Northern NJ I would definitely need to change the summer tires for winter driving. I was wondering if there is any negative effect on the motor of breaking in the car during a cold time of the year when the oil may not be lubricating the engine parts as well as during the warmer time of the year. Any thoughts on that issue? Thanks.

FC: Theres just one answer for this dilemma....ROAD TRIP!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts