Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a "program car" that's been sitting @ dealer for many months - Q re Discount?

Hi,
Former owner of PDE1 #356, now looking to get back into a Cayman, GTS this time. I noticed that there are a number of "program cars" hanging out at different dealerships around the country right now, particularly the red with black/silver wheels heavily-optioned CGTS' that were featured in the brochures and at auto shows (I'm guessing - at least, they're similarly set-up), all of which have about 3000-3500 miles on them, and all of them seem like they've been on the dealer lots for many months now. Mostly the discounts are pretty lame on paper: roughly $100k sticker comes down to about $92k. Given the amount of time sitting and that the pending '16 model year deliveries will likely start in the next several weeks, what do you guys figure as a reasonable discount to expect on one of these? I'm in so cal but am shopping nationwide (Never mind what I'd ask for up front; I'm trying to gauge where the market is at for these apparently unpopular red-on-redstitch configurations).

I can wait a few months to order a '16 CGTS if I can't get the right deal here. If I'm stuck paying undiscounted freight, I'd rather make Euro delivery part of the package.

Also, I don't mind the mileage and I don't mind the options... but 3400 mi. from jump does eat into a year's mileage on a lease to be stickering at new-car prices, you know?

Please: if I'm nuts/unreasonable, let me know. otherwise, what do you guys reckon? Thanks for your input and wise counsel.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: Buying a "program car" that's been sitting @ dealer for many months - Q re Discou

I know the boxster base and S's are usually around 20-25% off MSRP with a similar description as your GTS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Buying a "program car" that's been sitting @ dealer for many months - Q re Discou

Is there a place to find these cars? I'm looking for a used BS, and something like this might be perfect for me.

There's one dealer demo/loaner that I'm 100% interested in, but they won't budge off of 65k (on around 85 sticker). I'd probably pull the trigger at 62ish, but they don't seem to be interested, even though it's been for sale since November, I think.

For what it's worth, it's probably not even the money. I just don't really wanna pay the depreciation for options that while I'm sure are awesome, I don't really need. If this car was a tiny bit stripped own -- and a few grand cheaper, since they CLEARLY haven't depreciated the options yet -- I'd be awesome.

Reactions: vixapphire

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

i would ask yourself what this 3500 miles were like. Your salesperson will probably tell you it was some CEO who babied the car and just drove it on the highway. Also, while you get a break on msrp, the car is also worth much less as well if you try to resell.

·
Registered
355 Posts

i would ask yourself what this 3500 miles were liked. Your salesperson will probably tell you it was some CEO who babied the car and just drove it on the highway. Also, while you get a break on msrp, the car is also worth much less as well if you try to resell.
World Roadshow cars?

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts

many posts addressing the lack of GTS's on the free market... but they are there and come up off and on. be patient -- or lock in the '16 MY car of your dreams. As far as I recall, there is no real discounts for European delivery... maybe even costs extra -- for sure once you factor in the vacation costs... unless you were thinking of a European holiday anyway.

General thought-- if a car has been on the lot for "a while" expect a discount --- but for GTS's, dropping from $100K to $92K IS a discount you won't see on an ordered car.

so, did you really ask for advice??? well, go for the '16 car spec'ed out EXACTLY the way you want-- especially if you are thinking of keeping the car for a few years.. I did just that for my CGTS and am NOT regretting it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts