Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Imaconvert,

I am still waiting for my salesperson to email me the 07's info. But he said there might be an increase of price, and if its over 1-2% over 06's price they will take the hit. Which I think its not such a good deal right now...

·
Registered
8 Posts
For anyone west of Winnipeg I can highly recommend Speedway Motors in Victoria, BC. Talk to Matt Kennard - a real enthusiast . Very knowledgable, very flexible, and very accomodating.

There are ways to close the gap on US/CDN pricing but PCNA are doing their bit to block any flow of new cars north. Soft resale values on non-pedigree cars -including US-market cars - might bea player for those considering buying 'near new' cars stateside.

·
1,059 Posts
Should look into starting a Canadian Region in the Cayman Club, any interests?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does PCNA care about the Canadian Market?...If the latest pricing is a reflection,we have been more than marginalized again in CAN...where is Rick Mercer when you need him?...another wonderful car and variant of the Cayman, but alas their is no one home in financial services within PCNA..... does anyone ever look at the currency market and its futures between the US and Canada?....everyone predicts a continued downward trend of the US dollar against the CDN, but PCNA continues to blunder on.....can anyone justify the $20K difference on a near identical car crossing the border? No.It is great to see some price elasticity against MSRP...but a 4% discount against a near 20% premium over the USA still tells me there is a lot of pencil sharpening to do!

So I put forth a challenge...what dealer in CAN is willing to share in this price disparity as they pay PCNA in$US?...I am willing to travel coast to coast to buy one....any additional comments on Pfaff vs DFC, our two major competitors here in ON?

It is a simply disasterous pricing strategy for PCNA. Alienate your past clients or forego a generation of new ones? It is a simple actuarial exercise...give consideration (in some form, as rebates are out of the question..how about service,future credits,or something creative?) to early adopters and move forward with the current market

I would love to buy a Cayman from any CDN dealer who is willing to sell it at the US equivalent, ....if any dealer monitors this board, then by all means respond...but I find it difficult to support a blunderous management decision at PCNA.

I wish other CDN members here would forgo their purchase and service of their porsches at local CDN dealers, so the message is loud and clear! Fix the pricing, before you alienate all your clients...so Rick, start 'Talking to Americans!'

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think it sucks too, but you have to remember that it is Porsche pocketing the difference between the US and CAN prices, not the dealers. The Canadian dealers cannot even buy the cars from Porsche at the US manufactures suggested retail, so how are they going to match the price? The reality is that the Canadian market is very very small compared to the rest of the world, and the US is the largest. Being such a small company, they don't have a Porsche Canada and Porsche USA the way that other german carmakers can.
I don't see them lowering their prices while they are setting sales records. They may piss us of, but the demand is definately there.

Does PCNA care about the Canadian Market?...If the latest pricing is a reflection,we have been more than marginalized again in CAN...where is Rick Mercer when you need him?...another wonderful car and variant of the Cayman, but alas their is no one home in financial services within PCNA..... does anyone ever look at the currency market and its futures between the US and Canada?....everyone predicts a continued downward trend of the US dollar against the CDN, but PCNA continues to blunder on.....can anyone justify the $20K difference on a near identical car crossing the border? No.It is great to see some price elasticity against MSRP...but a 4% discount against a near 20% premium over the USA still tells me there is a lot of pencil sharpening to do!

So I put forth a challenge...what dealer in CAN is willing to share in this price disparity as they pay PCNA in$US?...I am willing to travel coast to coast to buy one....any additional comments on Pfaff vs DFC, our two major competitors here in ON?

It is a simply disasterous pricing strategy for PCNA. Alienate your past clients or forego a generation of new ones? It is a simple actuarial exercise...give consideration (in some form, as rebates are out of the question..how about service,future credits,or something creative?) to early adopters and move forward with the current market

I would love to buy a Cayman from any CDN dealer who is willing to sell it at the US equivalent, ....if any dealer monitors this board, then by all means respond...but I find it difficult to support a blunderous management decision at PCNA.

I wish other CDN members here would forgo their purchase and service of their porsches at local CDN dealers, so the message is loud and clear! Fix the pricing, before you alienate all your clients...so Rick, start 'Talking to Americans!'

·
Registered
96 Posts
SteveT: you're preaching to the converted. This is something we've been harping on for some time. It affects the 997s as well. In addition to gouging us, there is no easy arbitrage - the cross border trade is generally not worth the trouble. I did some math some time ago comparing them, including duties and taxes. As another kick in the nuts, the dealers here won't service a US car, and vice versa (or so I've been told). So forego the car, and buy a BMW MZ4... they wouldn't even notice with all the people who just want the status symbol. And quite frankly, I negotiated for my discount, but I wanted this car and fortunately have the dough to pay for it. Dude, you won't get anyone responding to your challenge, unfortunately. The cars seem to be selling. They've explored the arbitrage, know their client will pay up, and the alternatives are generally not as attractive to us enthusiasts. Now, if BMW/Mercedes/other came up with a Cayman killer at $12,000 less, they would wake up indeed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The market for any new product , not just a porsche, will mature...those who want to be first are willing to pay a premium to do so...but alas, how many car companies have been caught short because of this....no deals today, next week, or next month, but 1 year down the road when the clientele has moved on and is thoroughly disenfranchised then it is hard to get them back...even Porsche has had it's down days....as far as pricing goes, I do not know the business model for Porsche or its internal structure well enough, but I would find it hard to believe Porsche AG is gouging PCNA, a premier market....and the pennies do not acrue to the dealer, so where do they stop PCNA!....the dealer network in Canada should be exerting all the pressure, covert and publicly, it can or to AG directly to suggest an alternate pathway is a long term win for Porsche.

But buying a BMW M or an SLK55 ?...they are different cars for sure....none of these are rational purchases...they are 'objects of desire'!

...as to the challenge....I'll just dream tonight of the PM I will receive from all across the country with offers aplenty!

·
Registered
522 Posts
That's simply not true. I'd like you to find another car company charging $1.42 CAN for their cars in US funds. Check out the difference between the 997S and Aston Martin Vantage. The 997S is $82200 and the AM Vantage is $110, a difference of $28000 US. This should be about $31000 CAN.
The Canadian prices for the 997S is $119,000 CAN and the Vantage is $130000 CAN. That's a difference of $11,000 CAN. That is insane!!!!!! I still can't belive that the same cars are virtually the same price in Canada when they are 3/4's of the price in the larger US market.

steveT,

Its not just Porsche, the samething is going on with other brands too.

·
Registered
522 Posts
[/quote]but I would find it hard to believe Porsche AG is gouging PCNA, a premier market....and the pennies do not acrue to the dealer, so where do they stop PCNA!
[/quote]

Hi Steve, They are not gouging PCNA. Check the thread that showed the recent April sales. Canada is a fraction of the US market, and unfortunately our voice is very very small.

Edited by - KenRose on 06/02/2006 6:48:25 PM

·
Registered
522 Posts
For May 2006, Porsche reported new-car sales in the U.S. of 3,272, just 0.7 percent behind 2005's top mark for May of 3,291.
ATLANTA, June 1 /CNW/ - Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor of Porsche sports cars and Cayenne SUVs in the United States and Canada, today announced sales for May in Canada. 269 new cars in May nearly equaled last year's record month of 276, a percentage drop of 3 percent.

So, we have 269 cars sold in Canada vs 3272 in the US. One could make the argument that if they were priced more fairly they would sell more here. The problem with that is the year over year sales have been increasing, not decreasing.

Edited by - KenRose on 06/02/2006 6:54:46 PM

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think you've missed my point. You are correct in your examples, but BMW, Mercedes and Audi are not charging 1.42 across their entire car lineup. Just on these high power, low volume cars. Porsche is.

Kenrose,

Just for a few examples: E55 AMG, BMW M3/M5/M6, Audi S4/RS4.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Grasshoper, did you shop around at Downtown Fine Motors or did you simply stick with Pfaff?

Yes I did. They were less willing to talk discounts. I also was dealing with my Pfaff salesperson for about 14 months...In Feb 2005, was looking at 997, then the anouncement of the Cayman S came out and I waited to test drive it...so over the course of 14 months, I developped a good rapport. Also test drove many a cars, on many occaisons...In the end, I went with Pfaff for their service and patience with my decision process....went from 997 to 997 CAB then back to Cayman S

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi Grasshopper, how much are they charging for freight out east? In Calgary, they want $2500 for freight/delivery fees.
Grasshoper, did you shop around at Downtown Fine Motors or did you simply stick with Pfaff?

Yes I did. They were less willing to talk discounts. I also was dealing with my Pfaff salesperson for about 14 months...In Feb 2005, was looking at 997, then the anouncement of the Cayman S came out and I waited to test drive it...so over the course of 14 months, I developped a good rapport. Also test drove many a cars, on many occaisons...In the end, I went with Pfaff for their service and patience with my decision process....went from 997 to 997 CAB then back to Cayman S

·
Registered
96 Posts
SteveT: My only point is people will pay the extra to get the car. I did and so are all of you (past and future). Its not right, I'm not proud that I couldn't have the principled stance, but at the end of the day, it wasn't enough money and the alternatives weren't attractive enough to change my mind. I don't think any of the crowd is in a different boat.

I moaned, whined, bitched and pissed off people at Porsche. I made spread sheets and posted them here, I asked the sales manager at the dealer to give me a dollar equivalent car (what you propose). It was all, "sorry, we understand, too bad, so sad...". Many clients walk in, don't care about details too much, want the features, want the brand, and pay the price. You and I can't compete against them.

Sure, lets all go on buyers strike, just the 20 of us. They wouldn't notice too much, and may offer slightly greater discounts to entice 20 other people that don't spend their time on web sites like this (ie aren't enthusiasts).

As fas as where the gouge accrues... my bet is the Cdn dealers (therefore little motivation to do what you propose). They buy US$ stock, sell C$. PCNA lets them b/c they used to do the same as the dollar went to 1.55. So if the average sales price is C$94k, and they buy this average car from PCNA at US$62K (assumes equiv car sells for US$70K, $8K margin for US dealers), the gross profit 3 months ago (at 1.2 exchange rate) was about C$19.6K. Now that the currency is 1.1, the margin is C$25.8!! 25%+ increase! These cars are selling with discount in major markets, so they should deal more. They wouldn't change the pricing as this is a permanent change, whereas discounts are clearly not. Why shoot themselves in the foot?

Whats the point? The dealers incentive is to deal, rather than wholesale reduce prices. There aren't a ton of cars for the Canadian markets, the 997 is selling like stink, their clients are wealthy and don't balk at $500 bottles of wine, let alone an extra $6k on their car. There is no competition other than BMW (performance, handling, build and prestige). Alientate us? Hell, they'll have another product on the market a few years from now and people won't care.

Tell you what, get the best price on a well optioned car from Porsche, I'll sell you mine for the $3k less. You save $6k in taxes, and I've only got 3k kms on it, just broken in! Its absolutely perfect in all aspects. What a deal! You save $9k But you'd never do it, even if it is rational.

On principles alone I am pissed off this can exist, but... I'm just trying to be realistic.

·
Registered
96 Posts
RedEye: sucks to be us? not at all, the exact opposite in fact. Geez man, didn't you pay attention to the essay? :) point is: the market will bear it, wish all you want, but until the damn car isn't selling across the board (not just to the informed), list prices should stay stable.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts