Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I value everyone's experience and knowledge. My choice will be one of these tommorrow.

The choices:

2010 CS Black/Black approx 2000 miles (local to me)

PDK, Auto Climate, USB, BiXenon, Heated Seats, Wheel Caps Colored, Bluetooth, Mats, Sport Chrono

--or--

2009 CS Meteor Grey/Stone Grey approx 15000 miles (600 miles away)
PDK, Auto Climate, USB, Self-Dim and Rain Sensor, Heated Seats, BOSE,
Bluetooth, Mats

The price difference is about $8000 in favor of the 2009.

Any words of wisdom are welcomed as this will be my first P-Car.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
If they can will upgrade the 2009 with Bi Xenon for free then I would buy the Meteor Grey. But for 13,000 additional miles I would expect more than $8K difference. I would negotiate for a $10K difference with Bi Xenons for free since you would have to put on 600 miles to drive it back.

Otherwise get the 2010. Black on Black is brutal in a hot state such as Texas. I grew up in Arizona and know the difference a lighter color makes. But we are really talking about Grey versus Black so they are both going to get hot. If you can negotiate the 2010 so that it is less than $8K difference, then I would get the 2010 with the right combo of options.

Is your wife a blonde? Black Porsche with tinted windows and a blonde stepping out when you park is impressive to many normal guys. Good luck.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Either would be a great car.

I'm massively biased - I've had a black car in Texas. I've had a black car in Arizona. I'll never own another black car!!! It can be an attractive color, but it's hot - Africa hot! And every spec of dust, fingerprint, etc shows up.

I'd go for the Meteor Gray, particularly if it was CPO'd. Although that's relatively high mileage. Many Porsches are third or fourth cars and get driven only on weekends. If it was $10-12k less than the 2010, that would be more reasonable. The sticker prices were probably fairly similar.

The benefits of the 2010 are - at least one more year of warranty, fewer miles, sports chrono.

Only you can decide. . .

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
No Sport Chrono in the 2009 will mean it "nannies" you around the corners, but hey thats just me!

Did a nice little drift today ;) Do you drift?
[no Im not a drifter guy and said drift was little]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Normally I'd say sport chrono is a must, but for 8k, that's a big difference. I think meteor gray is also much nicer than black, black on a cayman hides the curves. Especially with a 2012 new platform, don't take the depreciation hit. Get the 09.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
If you could do without the extra $8k, I'd go with the 2010. Less mileage (assuming not demo mileage) and Sport Chrono.

-Moto

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd go for the 2010 model for several reasons
(1) Bi-Xenon light is much brighter than the standard halogen headlight and therefore a substantial safety improvement
(2) majority of people in this forum consider sport chrono a mandatory option for PDK
(3) 1 more year of remaining factory warranty
(4) you can inspect the car in person and check out by a good mechanics since it is local

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
given the other options, are we sure the 2009 does not have the bi-xenons??? It appears to have the preferred package plus option list which would include the lights. I do not see anyone ordering rain sensing wipers as a stand alone option :) I would double check on the lights... and then pick the 2009.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
here's what you do....if you really like both make it your choice...just take a coin into the dealership, heads it's black tails it's grey. You'll have the same chance as deciding as asking people's opinion on this site.

And just for the record I love the smell and ownership of a brand new car however I also like someone else taking the depreciation hit

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sooo many great replies! Thanks for the input.

Supposedly the Meteor Gray was driven by a Porsche Exec so it may have been his DD. I am really worried about this not having SC as many have expressed that with a PDK it is a must. I think the dealer can add the Xenon? That is what they said anyway. Have no idea on the cost. I know SC cannot be added. This one just arrived at the dealer.

The Black worries me because I will have to wear a Tyvek suit and rubber gloves so I don't leave dust/fingerprints on it every time I get in. Also it arrived at the dealer with approx 1400 miles and now 2 months later it has 1700 miles. Would this be 60 screaming test drives at 5 miles each lol? I surely hope not. This one has been registered to one owner who supposedly "upgraded" to a Carrera. (blasphemy!:)) It has been sitting at the dealer for a few months.

This is gonna start my mid-life crisis for real. Not like the fake one I have been telling my wife about so as to obtain a CS. :crazy:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Xenons and PDK with SC is mandatory so that rules out the 09.

I've had Xenons since 2001 on my cars and they provide much better visibility at night. Also, even current model Hyundais have Xenons so don't settle for less.

If you don't like black, then keep looking.

Is there a reason for your deadline of buying tomorrow?

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Xenons and PDK with SC is mandatory so that rules out the 09.

I've had Xenons since 2001 on my cars and they provide much better visibility at night. Also, even current model Hyundais have Xenons so don't settle for less.

If you don't like black, then keep looking.

Is there a reason for your deadline of buying tomorrow?

Just a total moment of weakness. I test drove the black and said to myself the heck with waiting. Devised a diabolical plan to convince my wife and she finally cracked and said fine lol.

I just wanted to strike while the iron was hot, but after everyone's input it seems I may need to wait (gasp!) longer. I guess the SC and Xenon are non-negotiable options to most of you and really to me. I guess I was willing to compromise...

I just haven't seen too many meteor greys for sale in the '09-10 range.

I'll see how my mental capacity holds up today...so hard waiting haha!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Hi I'd go for the 2010 cayman

0.2 cents here

1- bi-xenon
2- pdk + sport chrono is a must
3- black/black is outstanding specially the basalt black metallic belief me my country is Hotter and more humid than Florida and i have no regrets with my 2009 cayman s.
I have to agree that my second choice in color was meteor gray.
I think you have a tough decision ahead but remember it is and always will be a PORSCHE whatever you choose.
enjoy in good health. :dance:
cheers :beer:

rex

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi I'd go for the 2010 cayman

0.2 cents here

1- bi-xenon
2- pdk + sport chrono is a must
3- black/black is outstanding specially the basalt black metallic belief me my country is Hotter and more humid than Florida and i have no regrets with my 2009 cayman s.
I have to agree that my second choice in color was meteor gray.
I think you have a tough decision ahead but remember it is and always will be a PORSCHE whatever you choose.
enjoy in good health. :dance:
cheers :beer:

rex

Thanks for the input. Xeonon I want. I am enlightened (thanks to many posts and well wishes) and I agree PDK+SC is a must.

I am going to have to wait for a perfectly optioned meteor grey or I'm going to have to kick it into high gear building a new one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Be patient - part of the fun of the ownership experience is finding the car you really want...

I searched for two years for my first Porsche - an 84 911 two decades ago. It was worth the wait and you will learn more about what YOU want.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.