Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

OK I'm buying my first Boxster 981, it's a 2014 and I live in WA State and I'm flying to CA to purchase it and drive it up. Any suggestions on what I should look for on my test drive? The dealer have given me the typical car fax window sticker and has sent me email videos of the car running, top going up and down and a walk around. My wife says that I'm "giddy" and I am because this has been my dream car for over 20yrs and I'm finally at a point in my life where I can afford one (even if it's used).

Anyway I would love any advice the group is willing to bestow upon me with regards to test drive, maintenance suggestions, upgrades, websites with Porsche aftermarket items to enhance the look (if that's even possible) or anything else.

Thank you all again and I'm excited about being in the club!!
Wilo

·
Registered
25 Posts
-Service Maintenance should be pretty straight forward, it should be done on time even though it may not quite be necessary.
-Parts for Porsche - go to Suncoast Porsche for the most part...they have many things and fair prices for Porsche parts.
-If you have power seats, setup your seat properly for getting in/out (depending on your height). First one I drove was manual seat, it was kind of annoying to get in and out.
-Check exhaust for blue/black smoke, these cars do have a lot of soot buildup on exhaust but it shouldn't be very visible and dark.

Outside of the standard things to check on any other car, I'm not sure if there's anything super specific to look for. I drove one once, knew I wanted it. I bought the one I have a few months after, without even driving it. It was mint, all records done.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Check door panels for warping and headliner for sagging.

But, above anything else, check if temps on your route home will dip below 40 degrees. If yes but no rain or slush in sight, you will be fine, just drive like a grandma. However, if temps are close to freezing and there will be rain and/or slush, consider getting a truck to deliver that car to you. Chances that CA Porsche has all season tires are ... well, basically zero for all practical purposes.

Reactions: Platinum5150

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-Service Maintenance should be pretty straight forward, it should be done on time even though it may not quite be necessary.
-Parts for Porsche - go to Suncoast Porsche for the most part...they have many things and fair prices for Porsche parts.
-If you have power seats, setup your seat properly for getting in/out (depending on your height). First one I drove was manual seat, it was kind of annoying to get in and out.
-Check exhaust for blue/black smoke, these cars do have a lot of soot buildup on exhaust but it shouldn't be very visible and dark.

Outside of the standard things to check on any other car, I'm not sure if there's anything super specific to look for. I drove one once, knew I wanted it. I bought the one I have a few months after, without even driving it. It was mint, all records done.

But, above anything else, check if temps on your route home will dip below 40 degrees. If yes but no rain or slush in sight, you will be fine, just drive like a grandma. However, if temps are close to freezing and there will be rain and/or slush, consider getting a truck to deliver that car to you. Chances that CA Porsche has all season tires are ... well, basically zero for all practical purposes.

Thank you all! Great advice and I look forward to my purchase!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I second the warped door panels. To that I will add crazing on the headlights and make sure the 40k mile service has been done. Even if the car doesn't have 40k miles, it is time based on years.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
669 Posts
Find a reputable Indy in the area to perform a PPI. These cars are pretty good overall, but worth a couple hundred bucks for piece of mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts

What exactly do you mean about dark soot? My car produces soot on the exhaust tips and it is black in color...

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
55 Posts
Hello Everyone!

OK I'm buying my first Boxster 981, it's a 2014 and I live in WA State and I'm flying to CA to purchase it and drive it up. Any suggestions on what I should look for on my test drive? The dealer have given me the typical car fax window sticker and has sent me email videos of the car running, top going up and down and a walk around. My wife says that I'm "giddy" and I am because this has been my dream car for over 20yrs and I'm finally at a point in my life where I can afford one (even if it's used).

Anyway I would love any advice the group is willing to bestow upon me with regards to test drive, maintenance suggestions, upgrades, websites with Porsche aftermarket items to enhance the look (if that's even possible) or anything else.

Thank you all again and I'm excited about being in the club!!
Wilo
I have a 2015 Boxster S, I added the FVD "Quiet" Exhaust (which is not quiet) paired with the FVD ECU Tune and I am very please with results.

Good Luck
Ed

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
669 Posts
What exactly do you mean about dark soot? My car produces soot on the exhaust tips and it is black in color...
+1
I think if you drive your car a lot, you'll see more soot buildup because the miles/wash is significantly higher.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are you aware that most of CA is in lockdown right now? I'm interested in a Cayman near Los angeles but LAX website says anyone traveling from out of state must quarantine for 10 days. We might have to wait a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you aware that most of CA is in lockdown right now? I'm interested in a Cayman near Los angeles but LAX website says anyone traveling from out of state must quarantine for 10 days. We might have to wait a while.
I would be flying into San Francisco but the deal fell through....

·
Registered
79 Posts
politics aside. i can gurantee you no one is knocking on your door checking if you're home for 10 days.

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
55 Posts
I would be flying into San Francisco but the deal fell through....
WiloCastillo: Don't get discouraged. That happened to me twice before I bought my 2015 Boxster S. If they are in good shape, with low mileage, they go very fast. I ended up buying mine without seeing it in person. I had the seller send lots of pics and videos and I spoke with the dealer who serviced the car but I never actually saw it. I did the deal online and hired a shipper to ship the car from South Carolina to New Jersey. Fortunately, everything went smooth.

Good Luck
Ed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WiloCastillo: Don't get discouraged. That happened to me twice before I bought my 2015 Boxster S. If they are in good shape, with low mileage, they go very fast. I ended up buying mine without seeing it in person. I had the seller send lots of pics and videos and I spoke with the dealer who serviced the car but I never actually saw it. I did the deal online and hired a shipper to ship the car from South Carolina to New Jersey. Fortunately, everything went smooth.

Good Luck
Ed
Thanks man!! I’m looking at a Boxster S in San Diego with 48K miles but they’ve done all the required services and a Boxster in IL with 28,500K miles but has not done the 20K service. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
55 Posts
Thanks man!! I’m looking at a Boxster S in San Diego with 48K miles but they’ve done all the required services and a Boxster in IL with 28,500K miles but has not done the 20K service. Thoughts?
I'm partial to the S model and think its worth the extra $$ and the waiting. The Base 2.7L at 265hp/206tq vs the S 3.4L at 315hp/266tq. The S Model comes with some other extras also, brakes and such. There is nothing wrong with the Base model but to me there is no substitute for displacement. 10 or 20 thousand miles one way or the other doesn't scare me. As long as oil was changed and required maint was done, 48,000 wouldn't deter me at all. As far as shipping I highly recommend an "enclosed" trailer. I used Montway (they were great), open trailer was $800, enclosed trailer was $1,000. My 2015 had 32,000 when I bought it and had been maintained by Porsche Dealer. When I got it, I still had to put a battery and tires. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts