Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I'm considering buying a '02 Boxster base model, with only 72,000 miles in it, and for $8,500 bucks. This is the first car I buy with my own money (just got a great new job), and so, also my first Porsche! ;) I was wondering if this sounds like a good deal, if I should know anything about 02s, maintenance cost, etc.

Thanks!

Felipe

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is an old saying. "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche"!

Having said that, if the car has service records and you get a PPI done by a reputable indy so you know what you are buying, these early Boxsters are an incredible value for money. I would recommend against using a dealership for the PPI. They have a basic checklist that's pretty rubbish.

Good Luck and congrats on your new job!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Welcome Felipe.

Please go into this transaction with your eyes wide open. And not to chase you away, but 986forum is mostly dedicated to the 986 model that you're looking at (1997-2004) while this forum is more towards the 987 (2005-2012) & 981 (2013+). No problem being a member of both, but the other forum will be right up your alley. There's a sticky at the top of the General Discussion of the other forum titled 'Thinking of buying a Boxster? Must Read' that gives you an idea what to look for.

Also, my first Porsche was a 4 yr old 01 Boxster S with only 15K mi. It and most from that era were not of the best quality. They suffer from niggling issues like window regulators failing, rear wheel bearings wearing out, front bushings wearing out, window microswitches wearing out, pixels missing in the msg center display, ignition switches going haywire, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more items. Not sure why its lack of quality didn't scare me away from the brand, but I traded it in on a brand new Porsche, which is my current 08 Boxster S LE and my LE has been extremely reliable. Porsche upped the quality on the 987 compared to the 986.

Also, be aware that maintenance is 4X more expensive than your garden variety Toyota or Honda. If you are a bit mechanically inclined, you can do most maintenance items yourself. But an oil change done by you will cost approx $90 because you need 8 qts of syn oil + a $15 oil filter. Just one example of maintenance costs. And if you scrimp on maintenance, it will catch you at the most inopportune time. As others have said, check this one for maintenance records and see what needs to be done.

One of the members of 986forum has in his signature that his 97 Boxster is a black hole for dead Presidents and it's quite possibly the most repaired Boxster on the road. Not saying you should or shouldn't buy this particular Boxster, you just need to be aware of what you might be getting in to. Waiting until you can afford a 987 may be a better option.

Congrats on your new job. Hope you make it into the Porsche fraternity somewhere down the road.

Reactions: Porsche987

·
Registered
202 Posts
I only buy used cars and its always a crap shoot. PPI is an excellent idea and not doing it at a dealer is an even better idea.

In most towns there are local Porsche guru's who charge much less for Porsche maintenance. Many are from dealers and decided to branch out on their own. No help to you but here in the Scottsdale area of AZ, we have 2-3 excellent small Porsche shops. Get on your local forum or google Porsches mechanics in your area, not sure where you are in TX, but there will be one around somewhere. Let us know what you decide. When you found one, go chat with him, he may know that particular car or of a better one, that he's worked on.

Machog

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
There is an old saying. "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche"!
How true. How true.

My first Porsche was a used 1968 911. (see Avatar) I paid $3,500 for it. I was constantly trying to adjust the two Webber 3 barrel carbs. I had to clean the plugs about once a month because the car ran too rich. There was a leak and the floorboards/mats would stay wet. Finally, the heat exchangers died and when I went to the Porsche dealership to inquire about replacements I was told that they cost about $3,000. I sold the car. However, I wouldn't trade that experience for anything in the world. That car introduced me to the wonderful world of Porsche.

Will the used Boxster be expensive to keep running? I guess it depends on how much you want to do yourself. But it will introduce you to Porsche. Maybe that's enough. :cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Definitely go for an S model. The base is nice, as I have owned one, but the S is so much quicker, 6 speed, and IMHO, just a more decked out Porsche. Also I would recommend the 987 S over the 986 S. Just more refined, and improved as stated above.

Nobody ever complained about having too much power.

The maintenance is the same, and buy one that had its IMS BEARING retrofitted by the previous owner, to take one future worry off the table.
Its expensive to perform the upgrade. Read up on the IMS bearing issue, so you are aware. My IMS RETROFIT cost me close to $3000, but that included new clutch, flywheel, RMS SEAL.

I really do do love the look and drivability of my '05 987 S.

·
Registered
117 Posts
These base model 986 Boxsters are a really good value. Bought my '99 base two years ago for around $9,800 and never had a single issue. I stayed with the early models due to the dual row bearing and never thought twice about the IMS "issue". When I sold the car 6 months ago, I literally just ignored those buyers who could let the IMS questions go.

Since then I've owned a 99 996, 05 997S and now have a 06 Cayman S. Looking back, do I wish I had the Boxster in the S version.....nah. I don't regret anything about that car except selling it. I love my Cayman and if I have a 4th garage stall I would have kept the Box. The buyer got a great deal when I let it go for $8400.

Good luck in what ever you purchase. Read the forums with a grain of salt as there are many more posts about the bad than the good. Spent the money on a PPI and enjoy the car!

·
Registered
127 Posts
That sounds like a good price, and perfect introduction to the world of Porsche.

Do you have a driveway or garage in which to work on the car? Do you like, or think you would like, working on the car yourself? Most problems can be solved with internet research and parts shopping. If you're willing to perform maintenance items, you can leave the few repairs that you can't do, if there are any, to the independent shop. But if you feel "I don't work on cars, that's for auto shops only," then yes, there is a high risk that it could be a very expensive car for you to own.

I learned about these cars on a '98 base model that was indeed the cheapest one on ebay in 2008. It had plenty of issues (such as rain water getting in -- I bought a car cover), but wasn't too bad. The indy shop near me charges only a slightly higher hourly rate than other repair shops, but I had to learn to watch them carefully. I miss that car, even though it was too small for me, and my '07 Cayman is far more reliable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts