Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Buying used CPO

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  John071 
#1 ·
I was shopping for a 981 that was only dealer certified. As part of the sale agreement they are to CPO the car through Porsche.

To verify, I should be getting the original 72 month / 100k warranty from the in service date of the car, correct?

What paperwork should I expect to sign when they are complete with the CPO and is there a report that tells me if the car needed anything?

Thanks.

#2 ·
When I purchased my CPO 2016 Cayman GTS I received the following documents:

The CPO report - see attached photos.

Odometer Statement.

A Porsche Certificate of Authenticity.

Be sure to ask specifically about the “ In Service Date “ as this will have bearing on the date that your CPO Warranty ends.

I also requested a DME with an “ Over Rev Report “ for piece of mind. My car has a manual transmission so I wanted to know if I was starting out with a “ clean report “. Porsche supposedly will not CPO a car if it has been “ seriously over revved “ - there’s a few threads regarding the terms of CPO relevant to Over Revs.

My Salesman / Dealer happily provided all of those items and I’ve enjoyed my car for a little over a year and 10k miles with zero issues - it’s been nothing but fun.

Good Luck.

Attachments

Reactions: RickH
#6 ·
I was told that the original warranty starts from the date of manufacture (readable from the VIN.) This seems silly but he could be right. He also said he could not CPO a car with even one "Stage Four" as he called it. I imagine that's the over-rev counter and based on my readings, I'd be crazy to buy my car from myself!

#7 · (Edited)
I was told that the original warranty starts from the date of manufacture
It has always been from 'in-service' date, since it can take months for a car to reach a dealer after production, plus extra months to sell. However, that date might not be the customer's purchase date, especially with Porsche and BMW (and maybe others), where dealers 'punch' their vehicles to officially report the car as sold (to artificially inflate their sales). That's done as either 'demo' or 'service loaner', even if they're never used as such. That's why every new car buyer from those brands should always ask if the car they're considering buying has the full warranty, and if not, when it started (in-service date). Otherwise it'll become apparent the day you're signing the papers... and if you read what you're signing;).

#9 ·
Do you guys know how the service works on a CPO?

For instance, since the original service times as usually 10k miles and 20k miles, I am buying at 15k miles which when the car was CPO'd. For warranty purposes, is my next service 20k or 25k (10k from CPO).

Thanks!

#11 ·
Your next service is when the car tells you your next service is due. i.e. you don't have to worry about it. You can go through the menu and it will tell you everything you need to know. Having said that when I took my very low milage CPO 981BS in for it's oil change service, the service consultant reset my service reminder to extend the two year service out another year to account for the fact that my milage was so low. Moral of the story is follow the service reminder schedule that is built into the car.

#10 ·
I have bought two Porsches as CPO. In both cases, the service is performed according to the standard Porsche recommendations. 10, 20, etc. If that is the question you were asking. And, I am one of the folks on this site that does service every 4-5K. So, for me with your mileage, I would be doing 20 which happens to get it back in synch with the factory recs.

#13 ·
I just went through something similar and had some good advice on my thread (http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-sal...vice-needed-cpo-service-history-question.html)

A few points from my experience:
- Carfax was useless and showed minimal info
- Dealer provided me with CPO checklist they performed
- I asked for the vehicle build spec sheet which they also provided
- I asked for a DME. They charged me extra for this (though strictly speaking it should probably be part of the CPO procedure). It was a PDK vehicle and most ppl say a DME report is useless as as a PDK vehicle can't do stage 3 and above overspeed, but I think it's useful as another point of due diligence to see how much of it's life it spent in stage 1 or 2 overspeed (e.g. at redline) and also total operating hrs to get a feel for average speed and type of driving, etc.
- Getting a PPI is a must regardless of CPO certification or DME report
- I would ask them when the original warranty ends and when the CPO warranty ends to get the exact dates
- The vehicle I went for already had the 2 year service done. Other CPO vehicles I looked at which were almost at the 2 yr service date didn't have the 2 year service done, so basically within 1-2 months I would've had needed to do the 2 year service. Keep that in mind, ask when the next service is due and which service it is. Then use that as a point of negotiation as others have stated.

Hope that helps!

#14 · (Edited)
This does help, unfortunately, I already 'purchased' the car but I have not taken possession of it.

They said it was a car they originally leased new in May of 2015 and came back off lease. When I bought it, it was only dealer certified and as part of the sales agreement they were to CPO the car and clean up a few things, which is why I don't have it yet.

I assume I will get the CPO report and I can ask for the DME but will they have a PPI at this point? He said the next service I would need is 10k miles from now - but that was before I told them I wanted it CPO. I wouldn't mind having a copy of the vehicle spec build sheet either.

I feel out of my league on this one as I haven't bought a car in a long time - and never one like this.

EDIT: Just got the call it will be ready tomorrow. He said I will have CPO and all service history and I ask for DME and he said he would run one tomorrow. He couldn't tell me at the moment if/when service was done but I will get all service history tomorrow. Due to CPO he said everything must be done anyway if it wasn't. I pretty much asked for everything in malloc's post. lol that was good timing.

Thanks everyone for the help! I feel a little better now.

#15 ·
Ah ok, for context this is my first Porsche and first ever used car purchase (lol) as I've been riding motorcycles all my life and even at that I've only purchased one used motorcycle (all the rest were new). So it was a learning experience for me too.

I put a deposit contingent on nothing major being found in the PPI and also my own personal inspection and test drive (though I should've also made it contingent on a clean DME). For the DME, if it's a PDK, the stage 3 and above overspeed will be clear so it's not as useful, make sure to ask for the stage 1 and 2 (the dealer at first didn't provide me the stage 1 and 2 for some reason and even stated that it's not available!). Also ask for the section on number of launch controls (again if PDK). My DME showed zero stage 1 and 2 (and above) and zero launches, so that checked out. I was surprised it didn't have any stage 1 overspeed actually.

The dealer may try to tell you there's no need for an external PPI but you should always get it inspected by a third party. So that would be up to you to organize, if you can't do it before accepting delivery of the vehicle, perhaps you can do it straight after and make a note that you'll be getting a PPI and see if you can have some agreement where if the PPI uncovers something unexpected the dealer will fix it (that's always best done before purchasing which is when you have the best leverage of course). Also any service which is required will (should) be done as part of the CPO as you stated.

Glad that helped! Good luck and enjoy your vehicle!

#17 ·
Your next service is when the car tells you your next service is due. i.e. you don't have to worry about it. You can go through the menu and it will tell you everything you need to know. Having said that when I took my very low milage CPO 981BS in for it's oil change service, the service consultant reset my service reminder to extend the two year service out another year to account for the fact that my milage was so low. Moral of the story is follow the service reminder schedule that is built into the car.
Car says the next service is 25k or 5/2019. That seems like a long time out. (currently at 15k)

#18 ·
That is probably you next major service. However, somewhere in that same menu item if you scroll through you will find when the next oil change is due. If memory serves, oil changes will be due every year, or 10K miles?. Remember there are submenu's within the menu items so keep looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.