Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a used 981 S and saw one at a local dealer that's in my budget. My only problem is that it's a non Porsche dealer which has pretty bad reviews on Yelp for inflating advertised prices with options like Lojack or detailing. I think I can avoid that part by being firm on price, but any advice on how to get the car checked by a Porsche dealership to make sure the car is okay? And what the cost of that service would be roughly?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Do you have a Porsche dealership close by? You should call them and ask. To get the Porsche dealership interested in you say that you are very serious on purchasing this car and would also like to establish a dealership for subsequent services...etc. I think they wouldn't mind taking a look and it would cost you probably $99 or so. If you check out the car and its in great condition inside and out and has no evidence of damage on the body panels then I'd try to bring it over to the Porsche dealership. Also make an appointment in advance.

I bought my car from a non-Porsche dealership and was able to get a great price on the car which was from my go-over as well as what was described in mint condition. There are a lot of good deals to be had. Good luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm in the market for a used 981 S and saw one at a local dealer that's in my budget. My only problem is that it's a non Porsche dealer which has pretty bad reviews on Yelp for inflating advertised prices with options like Lojack or detailing. I think I can avoid that part by being firm on price, but any advice on how to get the car checked by a Porsche dealership to make sure the car is okay? And what the cost of that service would be roughly?
Two years back when I was buying a 2007 911TT, I was actually buying from a porsche dealership. However, I told them I needed a PPI completed and told them I wanted completed at another porsche dealership (where I planned to have service done). The selling dealership drove it over to the PPI dealership to have the inspection done without question. The costs was $350is if I remember correctly. Gave the car a clean bill of health and I bought it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool thanks for the quick replies, it's super useful. I'm checking the car out tonight and will ask if they can either drive it to the closest Porsche dealership, or if they would let me bring it there myself if I leave a deposit or ID, or something... Not sure how that works out for the insurance, I guess I'll ask the dealer tonight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cool thanks for the quick replies, it's super useful. I'm checking the car out tonight and will ask if they can either drive it to the closest Porsche dealership, or if they would let me bring it there myself if I leave a deposit or ID, or something... Not sure how that works out for the insurance, I guess I'll ask the dealer tonight.
you shouldn't have to leave a deposit.... any reputable dealer should allow you to take a car for inspection........ if they don't, I would consider doing business elsewhere

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you shouldn't have to leave a deposit.... any reputable dealer should allow you to take a car for inspection........ if they don't, I would consider doing business elsewhere
How do they trust me not to take off with the car though? Not that I would of course, but I know that it would certainly cross my mind if I was the dealer :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
How do they trust me not to take off with the car though? Not that I would of course, but I know that it would certainly cross my mind if I was the dealer :)
no different than a test drive, they will take a copy of your Drivers License... offer to leave your car there while you take the Porsche to the dealer for inspection

·
Incurable Gearhead
963 Posts
After a long search, I bought my Cayman from an out of state independent dealer (in Tampa). They were super throughout the process. We'd already discussed having a PPI done beforehand and the dealer was willing to take the car to the shop of my choosing. I called the nearest Porsche dealer (Bert Smith) and arranged the PPI with their service dept. If memory serves, it was like $300. True to their word, my car was taken to its PPI, passed with flying colors, and I sealed the deal.

As mentioned above, if they balk at an inspection, I'd think twice. If anything, they should happily help facilitate it!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If you are going to buy a used porsche the best sellers would be a Porsche dealer who will stand behind the product in the you have major issues or a private owner who truly cared for his car and spared little/no expense. Remember, more used Porsche that are not coming from one of these two sources are on average not of the same quality. I am not saying you can not get a great Porsche from a used car dealer, all I am saying is your odds of avoiding cars that have been abused, not cared for properly, flood damaged or otherwise not of the best quality many time go to the independent used car dealer. If you are not buying from a Porsche dealer of a devoted private owner, I think the next best place would be the independent dealer who has a good history or selling used Porsches. References can not hurt.

·
Registered
492 Posts
any advice on how to get the car checked by a Porsche dealership to make sure the car is okay?
Not sure what advice you need. If they won't allow for an inspection then why buy it? Move on. I've never had problems getting inspections done with any used vehicle purchase from any source (whether a brand dealer, non-brand dealer, private owner, etc) but if the seller won't allow it I won't buy.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
There's only one downside in not buying from a Porsche dealer: the car can't be given the CPO designation and the extended 6 year \ 100K mile warranty. Granted that you can buy the same car cheaper from a non-Porsche dealer, but the peace of mind that comes with a CPO car is worth the premium to many.

·
Registered
453 Posts
All 981S should still be within original factory warranty - so there is peace of mind without getting a CPO.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
This is way, way out in left field but here goes . . . . My first Porsche, the one in my avatar, was purchased from a very small used car lot. This guy didn't know a thing about a Porsche so he checked the engine oil level with the car shut off. (You didn't do that on an old 911. You checked the oil with the engine running.) Every time he checked he got a low reading so he added more oil. By the time I got the car it was way, way, way over filled. I had to syphon out a few quarts of oil.

That is all. Carry on. :cheers:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I asked the dealer and he was fine with me taking the car to the closest Porsche dealership. All he needs is a proof of insurance and my ID. Unfortunately the car came from auction and is not in the best cosmetic condition, and I'm considering whether that is worth the comparatively low price. Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone. It'll be useful as I keep shopping for my 981 :)

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
As I read the thread I had made the assumption it was from an auction, thanks for confirming that. One of the things I would definitely have checked is if there is any body repairs done..........as part of your investigation, see if you can get someone to carefully examine all the body panels outside, from underneath, check for how the doors shut, trunk and frunk lids shut.....shut lines on all doors and trunk/frunk. There may be a reason it was acquired through auction........it does not hurt to do the extra diligence.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I brought both my Porsches out of state from non-Porsche dealers. I did not have to put a deposit and refused to until I get a PPI, with my 997, after I had placed a deposit, I had a written letter stating I can back out for any reason and get my deposit back when I see it in person and if there were anything I didn't like about it. Jake's Motorcars took it to Poineer and had it PPIed, about $250 but they never charged me for it. Talked to the mechanic who did the PPI and was told there's a RMS leak but car so CPOed so I didn't care. Easy fix under warranty. Did the same with the Boxster, Audi mentor had bad ebay feedback, had them take it to another Porsche dealer for PPI, $192, had to pay it before they released the car back to Audi Mentor. It was a great experience and mechanic said car was perfect.

There's only one downside in not buying from a Porsche dealer: the car can't be given the CPO designation and the extended 6 year \ 100K mile warranty. Granted that you can buy the same car cheaper from a non-Porsche dealer, but the peace of mind that comes with a CPO car is worth the premium to many.
I'm the 3rd owner of the 997, car was CPO'ed then sold to Jake's Motorcars, when I brought it from them, it was still CPO'ed, had my RMS leak fixed under warranty.

As I read the thread I had made the assumption it was from an auction, thanks for confirming that. One of the things I would definitely have checked is if there is any body repairs done..........as part of your investigation, see if you can get someone to carefully examine all the body panels outside, from underneath, check for how the doors shut, trunk and frunk lids shut.....shut lines on all doors and trunk/frunk. There may be a reason it was acquired through auction........it does not hurt to do the extra diligence.
I would pay a bit more and take it to a body shop to have the paint measured.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I have bought a bunch of Porsches and had good luck with all of them.I would personally spend more and get it from a Porsche dealer.The car would be a CPO car and call it a day.There are big deals out there at Porsche as well.Be patient..good luck and have fun

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Is the moral that even though this guy did not know a 911 from 914 you felt it did not matter and you ended up with a good car or is it stay away from these guys because you could end up with 14 quarts of oil?

This is way, way out in left field but here goes . . . . My first Porsche, the one in my avatar, was purchased from a very small used car lot. This guy didn't know a thing about a Porsche so he checked the engine oil level with the car shut off. (You didn't do that on an old 911. You checked the oil with the engine running.) Every time he checked he got a low reading so he added more oil. By the time I got the car it was way, way, way over filled. I had to syphon out a few quarts of oil.

That is all. Carry on. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Agree 100%.
The only reason to go the auction car route is if you do not mind spinning the wheel and want the lowest priced example you can find.

I have bought a bunch of Porsches and had good luck with all of them.I would personally spend more and get it from a Porsche dealer.The car would be a CPO car and call it a day.There are big deals out there at Porsche as well.Be patient..good luck and have fun

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm likely going to go with a CPO car from a local P dealer. It seems too much work and cost for a car that might have deeper issues and that I might end up not purchasing.
As I was test driving last night an engine alert came up, although it said we could keep driving. There's also a bunch of scratches and the plastic under the passenger door is cracked. The convertible roof also didn't align exactly the same way with the rear of the windows on both sides. I'm not patient when I want a new car so I think I'm going to play it safe, even if that means paying more.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts