Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cought the Porsche bug about 4 years ago and bought a 2006 Cayman S. I was afraid to drive it in the winter (and very anal about it's appearance) so I picked up a winter car. Then I got a job in the city (city parking) and with the daily miles from the communte, city parking, and winter... my sweet CS sat in the garage 9 times out of 10. It became impratical to keep it so I traded them both in for a 2010 C300 Sport 4-Matic.

Obviously the Benz drives great in the winter and it has all the bells and whistles - Nav, bluetooth, ipod hookup, dual monitors DVD entertainment system in head rests, keyless go with push button start, heated seats, voice commands, etc, etc. So commuting is rather enjoyable. But it's not fast by any means.

For some reason I just can't stop thinking about the CS and how much "fun" it was to drive. My CS certainly didn't have the same luxury and technology as the C300 but it had something else. The drive experience. I know you can buy sport / luxury sedans, but to me it's just not the same thing and I have always been a Porsche enthusiast.

Recently I have been reading about CS owners driving thier cars year round, including winter. Most say that with a good set of winter tires (i.e. Blizzaks) your only limitation is snow depth. That being said, I guess I am wondering if I am crazy for considering another CS as a year round daily driver in the Chicago area? Especially when I have a perfectly good AWD car that it's only flaw is that it's not a Porsche :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tires are a huge deal... But Why not get the cayman and buy a $3-5k beater awd car like a Subaru impreza/Audi a4? a second set of wheels are tires aren't much cheaper lol

I have a older Audi s4 I daily drive.. And the spyder is my track/nice day car.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Karnidge, don't let this year's Chicago winter fool you. Driving all year round in TX, CA... etc. is very different than in IL. And driving in the rain is not like driving in the snow.

If it will be your 2nd car I see no problem in buying a sports car Porsche, but if it's gonna be your only car and in your winter weather, I'd never buy one. Simply just think of how you'll get to work in case it snows normally in Chicago!

My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I second that, don't get it for your daily driver in a snow climate, especially given you said you are anal about the appearance. Winter grime and salt do terrible things to cars, imagine going down the freeway, on your way to work, snow is not bad, but roads are wet with salt, then a big truck pulls out in front of you and kicks up all kinds of road salt onto your hood... you get the point. If you are anal about how it looks, you will be looking a a re-paint every few years.

My Boxster is a 2nd car, and I probably only drive it once or twice a week when the weather permits, and that is only 8 months of the year... so maybe I end up driving it 35-40 times a year... Kind of bothers me and seems like a waste, but I know the car will still look and perform amazing everytime I want to drive it for the next decade or two! I plan on keeping if for a long long time to come, so I do not mind keeping the miles off!

2011 honda civic LX-S gets me around town on the daily. $200/month lease and who cares how many stone chips it gets on the freeway, its a rental! Give it back and get another one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A cheap 2nd car is always an option. There are plenty of cars for sale for $5k that have some good miles left in them. I was just hoping that I could find a Porsche that was suitable year round.

·
Registered
570 Posts
for what its worth... i drive my boxster S all year in Boston. with a good set of snow tires the car drives great. i have a jeep as well... and i often choose to take the porsche out when theres white stuff on the roads.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Do it!

This was my first winter with the CS as my "all season" car, but I've driven the LE and my previous 01 Boxster S in plenaty of winters. Get a good set of winter tires (def get 18s if your summer tires are 19s). The tires and PSM will get you through. But keep the CS home if it snows more than 4".

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would not drive my Cayman in the city and park it in city parking. No way no how. I'd give my car 3 days before it was keyed, damaged, or tried to get broken into. Just draws way way too much attention.

There are reasons they make all kinds of cars. If I were making the commute you were, Id drive the Benzo every day and twice on Sundays. Perhaps even if that meant I had to sell the Cayman.

Cayman is a great car, but it has its liabilities like any vehicle. There are certain places I dont drive my Cayman. Wal-Mart, supermarket, Lowes, deep in the city, etc. Just begging for a situation that goes tits up.

Part of preventive maintenance is knowing when and where to drive it, and when to keep it parked in the garage so the degenerates dont have their way with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts