Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
I previously asked what is twice better than a used 987 and not 3 times more expensive - and ironically it hit me that it is the C8, probably. But my next car will still be the F430, three times more expensive and probably less than twice better. And I see that for many Porsche owners - it is about sophistication just as much as for other things.

I'm not sure if your context is stating that the Planet-9ers are claiming our cars to be superior, but I don't think anyone is saying that; just that a Boxster handles better than a C6.

The C6s and the C7s are amazing track cars. The Boxster/Cayman can dominate AutoX and while a fun track car, it's not the best track car.

Talking handling specifically, I make my judgement based on AutoX and mountain roads. While tracks are an obvious consideration for a vehicle's handling when compared to a drag strip, handling is so much more than simply taking corners at 100mph and setting fast lap times.

A Grom handles better than a Ninja, but the Ninja is still the superior track bike between the two.

My point is sharing a respect for all vehicles. If I were trying to set a fast lap time at Road Atlanta, I'd opt for Mr. Stranger's C6 over my 987 as I do not doubt he has the superior track car.
Just saw a grom for the first time last week, was wondering what the name of those were...lol

I have a friend that runs a 2009 C6 (with the Z51 Package) in one of the track clubs I track with. One of the tracks in town (Phoenix AZ) has a long straight followed by a 75 mph sweeper. Every lap he gets around me on the straight then at the end of the straight he will brake at the 500' marker and I will pass him again due to the fact that I don't need to break until the 300' marker and doing 130mph+. the rest of the track is twisty and he always looses ground until we hit the straight again. Very fun, and he alway seem surprised at the handling of my car. My car is a 2009 Cayman S PDK.

A coworker of mine recently replaced her 2008-ish Cayman with an Alfa Romeo Giulia. Apparently the Alfa handles 100x better than a Cayman, and she could beat me on every road and every track in her Giulia. I just walk away from every discussion on the subject...

My 914 has far better rust and foam coming out of the seats than your Boxster! (Than my Boxster, too.) EDIT: The picture is *old*.

Reactions: 1028Caymn
???

So! Have your Corvette. But there is one fact you can’t change.

While you will be driving a “superior” Corvette ... you will still be driving a CHEVY. ?

While we are driving PORSCHE.

?

A coworker of mine recently replaced her 2008-ish Cayman with an Alfa Romeo Giulia. Apparently the Alfa handles 100x better than a Cayman, and she could beat me on every road and every track in her Giulia. I just walk away from every discussion on the subject...
Based on reviews, she'll beat you mainly in time spent at the dealer service center.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Giulia Quadrifoglio 7:32
C6 Z51 7:59
981 Cayman S 8:04
987 Cayman S 8:17

No time for a regular Giulia. Also, was her Cayman an S or Base?

Either way, the Giulia is a very well composed car. So is the M5, the RS4, the CTS-V, the Corvette, even the Stinger; all of which can set fast lap times and have great handling, but that doesn't mean they have the nimbleness that equates to superior handling. Lots of cars can set fast lap times thanks to power and the width of the track. I'm also not calling the Boxster/Cayman the superior handling vehicle on the market, just one of the better cars that I've had the opportunity to drive.

I repeat my previous statement, lap times are not the best way to judge a cars handling. Especially on tracks like the Nurburgring where Döttinger-Höhe and Tiergarten total more than 2.5km of straight WOT section. A Cayman would just be sitting at its top speed, allowing many of the other cars to catch up. But that doesn't mean it's not a fun track car.

The FRS/BRZ is another very fun track car in my opinion (when the engine doesn't spin a bearing). It leaves you smiling ear to ear in the turns, but in the straights, you have time to turn on the radio, find a song you like, listen to it, then turn the radio back off before reaching the braking point.

Reactions: OttawaSteve
Giulia Quadrifoglio 7:32
C6 Z51 7:59
981 Cayman S 8:04
987 Cayman S 8:17

I repeat my previous statement, lap times are not the best way to judge a cars handling. Especially on tracks like the Nurburgring where Döttinger-Höhe and Tiergarten total more than 2.5km of straight WOT section. A Cayman would just be sitting at its top speed, allowing many of the other cars to catch up. But that doesn't mean it's not a fun track car.

The FRS/BRZ is another very fun track car in my opinion (when the engine doesn't spin a bearing). It leaves you smiling ear to ear in the turns, but in the straights, you have time to turn on the radio, find a song you like, listen to it, then turn the radio back off before reaching the braking point.
lol...good line about the FRS/BRZ. I've seen a couple of turbo cars with suspension work that take the performance up into Cayman S territory, and look good to boot. The Civic Type R did the 'Ring at 7:40-ish as I recall, but it's not something that rings my bell as a track car or a street ride.

It's the M3 boys that get me....they think the e46 m3 is the absolute king and nothing is better or quicker.

Had 2 m3's...overrated, badly engineered dog s**t.
I've driven a student's E46 M3 at Watkins Glen, as an instructor, and I disagree with your assessment of it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #34 ·
It's the M3 boys that get me....they think the e46 m3 is the absolute king and nothing is better or quicker.

Had 2 m3's...overrated, badly engineered dog s**t.
I personally like the e46. But I will admit that the greater percentage M3 owners that I have met are the German-driving equivalent of stereotypical Mustang owners. Trying to race everything on the road and making sure everyone watches them leave car shows.

But hey, at least they have easily accessible engines.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.