Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CA Designs HID Kit Installed (Photos)

Hey guys, I'm updating this from my garage right now. I'm installing ACG San Diego's HID kit

EXECstudio.com - HID Conversion Kits

The passenger side is done and I just wanted to post some quick shots. I was afraid of throwing codes, so I specifically ordered their error cancellation unit. First impressions: Wow that was easy. I still haven't taped the ballast / all that to the frame yet (shoved everything in and fired it up), but I see no issues at all with the kit aside from that thin line of darkness, which I assume would be shadow from the bulb. I paid ~120 for everything shipped.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

And here's how it looks with both in:

I ate dinner in between sides, but I'd say this is an easy 20-minute swap if you went full steam through. Two out of the eight cover screws would not go in since the wires were sticking out, so I taped them on (so I wouldn't lose them). All of the latches snapped into place, so the screws are not a worry for me.

Update: Got bored and swapped in 3000K

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: CA Designs HID Kit Installed (Photos)

Wow, thx so much for the pics and write up! I'll be ordering asap. Any problems at all so far?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Wow, thx so much for the pics and write up! I'll be ordering asap. Any problems at all so far?
I just took it for a quick spin on the freeway and everything is AOK.

Make sure you call in your order and ask for the Porsche error cancellation unit, otherwise you probably will throw a code with just the plain kit on the site.

·
Registered
60 Posts

How about the light output, does it seem much brighter than the halogens? Did you consider HID's for the hi beams as well?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

How about the light output, does it seem much brighter than the halogens? Did you consider HID's for the hi beams as well?
Nothing night and day in terms of changes; the stocks were not terrible to start with like some other cars out there. Like I stated above, I should have gone with a lower temp to get a more accurate comparison. I don't use my highbeams too often and I really don't mind the stock setup, so converting the highs were not a consideration for me.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scottschoe,

Where did you put the ballast, canceller, etc? Inside the headlight unit?

Did I put this in properly? Red wire to yellow, black wire to brown?

TIA :cheers:

So, I just saw a video on youtube. It shows that I have to drill a 1" hole for the wires. The kit comes with a rubber plug to keep moisture out.
YouTube - Solaris Xenon HID Lamp and Ballast installation
I can't view images right now, but I don't remember a brown wire. I put everything outside of the enclosure without drilling, just put the cover back on with the wires running out one side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wouldn't running the wires on the side leave holes to let moisture in?

I'm guessing you're not having any problems with this set-up?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't tried putting the headlights back on yet. I have yet to decide what to do with the wires - whether to keep them inside the housing or drill a hole.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wouldn't running the wires on the side leave holes to let moisture in?

I'm guessing you're not having any problems with this set-up?
None besides a ticket for yellow lights :beer:

Are you sure you don't have any Error message from the on-board computer? Most of the aftermarket HID kit gives error.. i really hope this one works properly.
Pretty sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just install my cheap kit today. I had light turn off and on like blink randomly but no code so far.

Where to buy the cancel code thing ?
How does it look like ?

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Wow what a difference!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed ACD San Diego's kit today. The install took about 30 minutes inclusive of removing the headlights. With some careful placement I fit the ballast error canceler and wiring all inside the headlight enclosure. I slid the headlight back in and everything is working perfectly, no codes.I am awaiting to see the difference at night tonight and will post some pictures at that time. Sean and the crew at ACD were awesome to deal with and shipping was quick!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts