Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on these forums, but I have been a member for while... mostly just reading and learning a lot about my car (and what it can do!) from you guys.

I live in the Bay Area, CA for what its worth and own a grey 07 Cayman S Tip. No mods yet.

Anyway, so I am pretty sure I want to add the TPB stage 2 turbo kit to my car (its mostly a daily driver, but I'm hoping to track it for fun a few times). Before I do this though I am concerned about some of the stuff I have read in the forums before: am I not going to be able to pass the smog test and therefore not be able to register my car is if I get this mod?
I called TPC and they recommended S Car Go in San Rafael (a guy name Rob) to do the install. I also asked TPC about the smog test and they say they have many installs in CA and they have no probs registering their cars. I am not sure what the secret is? Can anyone please share?

Also, I will likely install the Quaiffe TBD when I do the turbo kit.

Finally, I took a very nice drive today that I wanted to share with you guys. And if you have some recomms, please let me know as well. Link is here:
Untitled - Google Maps

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
570 Posts
There are 2 answers really:

1. no, the car will definitely NOT pass smog and you will have a problem. Any emissions modifications to a vehicle that do not carry C.A.R.B. certification are illegal. To my knowledge, TPC has never received certification.
2. yes, if you can find a "special" smog place you can smog the car. Know that it is illegal but still relatively common amongst the modding communities.

·
Registered
502 Posts
There are 2 answers really:

1. no, the car will definitely NOT pass smog and you will have a problem. Any emissions modifications to a vehicle that do not carry C.A.R.B. certification are illegal. To my knowledge, TPC has never received certification.
2. yes, if you can find a "special" smog place you can smog the car. Know that it is illegal but still relatively common amongst the modding communities.
I don't think the turbo system would give you much trouble passing smog but going with the catless headers would be the problem. This question can be fielded by some of the turbos in CA (not sure if any are stage 2).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Visual inspection will be a problem. Find a way to cover it which is impossible.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That is the very first thing the smog tech do before hooking up their equipment.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Do all places do visual inspections?
I lived in Cali for 6 years and I think it was visual, sniffer, and computer. I had aftermarket catback and never had an issue with the visual. I think many will not care as long as you can pass the sniffer...which I don't see how you could running a catless system.

In GA it is only computer and gas cap check...so pretty easy to do what you want as long as you take care of CEL.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Does the installation of the turbo require either of the cats to be removed?
You said in your original post you were wanting the stage 2. That would be catless, if I am not mistaken. Sounds like you have a lot of research before taking on this system. Honestly I would try to take a ride in one first because this system is more race car than street car in my opinion.

What about the low pressure system? It should not have any issue passing smog...even the stage 1 system as long as you keep a set of cats. PM a couple of the turbo owners from CA to get the full run down.

"The CTS2 package includes several components that will allow drivers to safely increase the performance of their TPC Racing Cayman Turbo to 550bhp. Included in the upgrade are a set of High-Flow Stainless Steel Race Headers, TPC Racing S2 Turbocharger, Electronic Boost Controller w/ LCD monitor, and a TPC Racing Routine Switch. "

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
you will have an issue with the visual inspection... all of the others will be just fine. The car runs w/in all factory specifications and will have no issue w a cel or anything else.

Where are you in CA? i was just in the bay area for a week and the non intercooled system will be just fine if you live anywhere around there... The people on the news were complaining about 80F and 0 humidity :)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You said in your original post you were wanting the stage 2. That would be catless, if I am not mistaken. Sounds like you have a lot of research before taking on this system. Honestly I would try to take a ride in one first because this system is more race car than street car in my opinion.

What about the low pressure system? It should not have any issue passing smog...even the stage 1 system as long as you keep a set of cats. PM a couple of the turbo owners from CA to get the full run down.

"The CTS2 package includes several components that will allow drivers to safely increase the performance of their TPC Racing Cayman Turbo to 550bhp. Included in the upgrade are a set of High-Flow Stainless Steel Race Headers, TPC Racing S2 Turbocharger, Electronic Boost Controller w/ LCD monitor, and a TPC Racing Routine Switch. "
For the record we just finished development on a high flow catted header which will be an option with stage 2. We will only be selling the header to turbo clients.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Whtr you came to the Bay are and you did not call me ! BAD BAD casey

·
Registered
329 Posts
you will have an issue with the visual inspection... all of the others will be just fine. The car runs w/in all factory specifications and will have no issue w a cel or anything else.
It's been so long since a car I owned has had a smog test I can hardly remember, but I think there is a part of the test that the car is accelerated to a high rpm and the rear wheels are in some kind of load. At the level of RPM that I recall, the TURBO would clearly be engaged.

It would be great if TPC investigated the process and cost for a CARB certification. It has been done, and prior installs would be grandfathered into the cert and get a sticker. I think the investment would pay off. I have no idea of the costs or hassles, but I seem to recall other turbos getting a CARB cert.

I did an internet search and it seems there are many other turbo kits that have gone through the CARB process
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/aftermktdevice.php

For what it is worth, day to day driving of a turbo doesn't significantly add to the smog problems we have in Los Angeles as compared to driving a conventional engine.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just FYI.. I have a know a few P car shop owners, including a P car official sales service center, that all said, bring it by, your car passes visual inspection with me...

+ I have kept the original headers to put back on before a smog. Legally I was allowed to change them as one cracked and you are allowed to change damaged parts in Cali.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.