Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought this might be of interest to the West Coast Region members (California).

Just received my 2010 DMV Registration Renewal Fee: $ 440.00
Last years 2009 Registration Renewal Fee: $ 305.00

That's an increase of $ 135.00 or about 45% over last year. I know California is in dismal, disfunctional financial shape, but does Schwarzenegger have to take it out on my Cayman?

Thanks for your input guys.

Mark C.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mine is due at the end of this month and here in Texas it's a whopping $63.80! Huh...I guess that means everything is NOT bigger in Texas.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Thought this might be of interest to the West Coast Region members (California).

That's an increase of $ 135.00 or about 45% over last year. I know California is in dismal, disfunctional financial shape, but does Schwarzenegger have to take it out on my Cayman?

Also...are all Registration Fees now due in February? my wife's car, truck and Cayman registrations came at the same time and are all due in February 2010 although all three were purchased in the summer months?

Mark C.
You can thank the CA assembly as well for the increases. Everyone in Sacramento believes that it's OK to spend beyond their means, just tax the population to make up the difference.

And no, registration fees are not all due in February. My wife's Toyota registration is due in January, the month we bought the car.

·
Registered
494 Posts
mine was 580 in Mountain View

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeap, due on the month that the car originally sold.

I got my '06 CS on October but the renewal is due in July - car originally sold July '06.

·
Registered
380 Posts
There's just no justice in this world (or state) - my registrations comes due during the same month that my warrantee espires.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts

Mark C.
Looks like you got a good deal. Mine is due in January and is $539 for an '07.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Can you guys just send them an IOU and tell them you will send the rest when you get bac the extra 10% they are withholding? Seems fair to me.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Mine too, went from $350 to $575, it must depend on purchase price and year?
In California, cars are treated as property, and as such you pay property taxes in the form of DMV registration fees. The fees are based on the make/model/year of the car, not on purchase price, and decrease every year as the car (property) depreciates. Obviously, like a property located in the better part of town, the more luxurious the car, the higher the fee.

We had a hike in fees over the last year because our wonderful state government can't get it together to come up with a reasonable budget. Increasing DMV fees was an easy way to help with the budget shortfall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts