1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather is getting better!

How about going for a drive very soon?

We have some options:

• Jabal al Jais (Junkno I know you've done this recently).
  • Jabal Hafeet
  • Hatta
  • Any other suggestions??

Let me know what you guys think.

I'm going to have to admit, since I got my car in April I have not taken her out on the open road! It's about time!!

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Agolak!

That sounds a good idea. I believe the 2 first options are fit for the purpose as the twisty roads there are perfect for 981 Caymans & Boxters... For your information, the drive up to Jabal Hafeet has been ranked "best road" in the UAE in a book offered to me by my P dealer...

Another option is to become a member of the UAE Porsche Club, which I did. Next event for me will the track day @ Yas Marina Circuit in December. Can't wait for it.

Anyway, you can count on me for a drive towards Jabal al Jais (my preference) or Jabal Hafeet.

In your are un Dubai, let's try to catch up for a drink, so we can talk about our cars !

Sebastien.

·
Registered
747 Posts
" weather getting better"
do you mean cooler? How hot in the summer ? Do you have a picture of the roads ? Thanks carl

·
Registered
221 Posts
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hi Carl, well in the summer, temperatures can easily soar to 45 / 48 deg. Celsius. We are now mid-November, and the day temperatures are in the range of 28/29 deg. Celsius. So much more bearable.

I have attached 3 pictures of Jabel Hafeet. It's a moutain (around 1,500m high if not mistaken), west of Dubai, almost pat the boarder with the Sultanate of Oman. And there, there is a nice twisty road climbing to the top. Really nice...

sebastien.

" weather getting better"
do you mean cooler? How hot in the summer ? Do you have a picture of the roads ? Thanks carl

·
Registered
747 Posts
Interesting.i know there is a lot going on in your part of the world. Are there any issues, safety or otherwise driving a Cayman in Dubai? In California there like a Chevy I was going down to LA last week and next to me in stop and go traffic was a Mclaren 650 . thanks carl

·
Registered
221 Posts
Interesting.i know there is a lot going on in your part of the world. Are there any issues, safety or otherwise driving a Cayman in Dubai? In California there like a Chevy I was going down to LA last week and next to me in stop and go traffic was a Mclaren 650 . thanks carl
Absolutely no safety issue in Dubai. I have never been in a situation where I had to take the decision not to drive the Cayman as I knew I will have to park in an "unsafe" location. This does not happen. Very different from Europe. I remember when I was leaving close to Paris, when my wife and I were having diner downtown Paris, I would at that time always looked first if there was a guarded undergroung car park nearby where to park my Audi (yes, no P car at that time !), otherwise we would take a taxi.... Very different!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Absolutely no safety issue in Dubai. I have never been in a situation where I had to take the decision not to drive the Cayman as I knew I will have to park in an "unsafe" location. This does not happen. Very different from Europe. I remember when I was leaving close to Paris, when my wife and I were having diner downtown Paris, I would at that time always looked first if there was a guarded undergroung car park nearby where to park my Audi (yes, no P car at that time !), otherwise we would take a taxi.... Very different!
Thanks, what does a Cayman cost in Dubai? Carl

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks, what does a Cayman cost in Dubai? Carl
Slightly less in Dubai than in the States. I would have paid the same car (same configuration) 5 to 6% more in the US. But the truth is that I did not get any discount on the selling price, whilst I understand it is quite common to get at least 5 to 7% on a CS in the States. So at the end of the day, I would say the prices are quite similar.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Wow I've not been on here for a very long time!

Another option is to become a member of the UAE Porsche Club, which I did. Next event for me will the track day @ Yas Marina Circuit in December.
Hope you enjoyed the event last Friday.

I was for a long time not instructing this time so could spend time as a normal member, and getting to grips with my new GT3.

Jebel Hafeet is a great road and far far better than Hafeet, and I've driven it quite a few times along with the Kalba run which is also great for long fast sweepers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Dunebasher, good to see you back and I hope is going well with you. At least with this new car you'll have got the GT3 brake ducts for free haha!!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Hey Mark,

Good to see you're still kicking about! Long time no see! about time I got a discounted beer with you again :)

Daniel

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow I've not been on here for a very long time!

Hope you enjoyed the event last Friday.

I was for a long time not instructing this time so could spend time as a normal member, and getting to grips with my new GT3.

The event was great. I really enjoyed it. Can't wait till the next time (will go there again in March).

Jebel Hafeet is a great road and far far better than Hafeet, and I've driven it quite a few times along with the Kalba run which is also great for long fast sweepers.
Did you mean that Jabal Al Jais is better than Hafeet? Could you also share more information about the Kalba run? Which road to take?

·
Registered
Past vehicle, 2008 Cayman S
28 Posts
I work in Kabul and pass through Dubai every three months. I'd enjoy getting together with you all sometime. Next trip out is 20 January. My Cayman lives in Alaska so I'll be riding a Taxi.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Did you mean that Jabal Al Jais is better than Hafeet? Could you also share more information about the Kalba run? Which road to take?
Kalba's a great run. Best would be to meet up and show you the routes we take....we're planning a run in the coming weeks.

It may sound impossible to have two epic driving roads in the UAE, but we do, and yes Jais is better by a mile. Jebel Jais takes less time to get to, and is a longer road to drive up and down, climbing almost as high as Jais I'd guess, so is a lot less steep. It is truly an epic road. This view is shared by other friends of mine who've also driven some of the worlds best roads in Europe. We normally head up with several Porsches, a 458 or two (Speciales) and a couple of Lotus' for good measure amongst others.

I work in Kabul and pass through Dubai every three months. I'd enjoy getting together with you all sometime. Next trip out is 20 January. My Cayman lives in Alaska so I'll be riding a Taxi.
Well Bill, January 20th is possibly a great date for you......as on the 23rd is our next Porsche Club UAE track day, so if you can drag your layover out a bit you could come and experience 70 Porsches on track. Did I mention it's on Yas Marina F1 Circuit....at night? Be assured plenty of beer is consumed at the hotel afterwards as well if that adds icing to the cake :)

If you can make it then I'd be more than happy to take you out in the GT3, and get you some passenger rides in other cars (991 GT3 etc.)

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Jebel Jais....not a great pic, but you can see the snaking of the road.

JJ.jpg

A flyby on Jebel Jais....not one of our faster groups, but fun nonetheless.

While we're on the subject of roads here's some roads in the area I've driven. The first two are in Oman, but no visa required and just over a border checkpoint.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
And Jebel Hafeet a few years ago, when it was having a load of road work done.

I've another video of Jais, but not for public consumption....so for that one we'll have to meet up :eek:

·
Registered
221 Posts
And Jebel Hafeet a few years ago, when it was having a load of road work done.

I've another video of Jais, but not for public consumption....so for that one we'll have to meet up :eek:
Whaoh... Thx for sharing those videos. It really gives a good taste of those roads. And I love your car. I saw it on Friday. It seems u are very popular :) There are many photos of your car that have been taken last Friday @ Yas. I just saw that in the photos section of the Porsche Club UAE.

I would really love joining you for any trip to Jabal Al Jais or the Kobba road. So don't hesitate to send me a message via P-9 if there is any plan scheduled. I will not be able to come to Yas on the 23rd Jan, but will definitely be there on the 6th March...

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Whaoh... Thx for sharing those videos. It really gives a good taste of those roads. And I love your car. I saw it on Friday. It seems u are very popular :) There are many photos of your car that have been taken last Friday @ Yas. I just saw that in the photos section of the Porsche Club UAE.

I would really love joining you for any trip to Jabal Al Jais or the Kobba road. So don't hesitate to send me a message via P-9 if there is any plan scheduled. I will not be able to come to Yas on the 23rd Jan, but will definitely be there on the 6th March...
The roads I don't have full video from is a full speed Kalba run or even a proper full run up and down Jais, but I will put that right as soon as I can ;)

Popular.....well that's what you get when you turn up in a Pumpkin! I've been with the club for over 6 years and an instructor for 3 or 4 of those, so people have been constantly on my case about when I'm getting a replacement. Add to that Chris (The photographer) is a good mate of mine and the number plate on the car belonged to him before it became mine.

I'll send you a PM on the drive part.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The roads I don't have full video from is a full speed Kalba run or even a proper full run up and down Jais, but I will put that right as soon as I can ;)

Popular.....well that's what you get when you turn up in a Pumpkin! I've been with the club for over 6 years and an instructor for 3 or 4 of those, so people have been constantly on my case about when I'm getting a replacement. Add to that Chris (The photographer) is a good mate of mine and the number plate on the car belonged to him before it became mine.

I'll send you a PM on the drive part.
Great ! And I will definitely see on on the 6th March. I have just completed my registration in Novice 2 group.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Long time for me too! Nice to hear Dunebasher is still around and now a GT3??? Loved the car you had so this one must be over the top. PS don't go to Jebel Jais I'm cycling nowadays there and don't need dare devils making my climb impossible! ;-)

Reactions: 293866
1 - 20 of 21 Posts