Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been lingering on this forum for about a year without a username and just recently joined after purchasing my 2010 Cayman S. I have done PLENTY of research on the Techart style wing. I decided to order the Ingo Noak wing (which is the same as the Techart but marginally smaller on the topside. Being that the company is German, their English is not the greatest and I'm having a hard time extracting the answers I need. Okay so on to my questions...

1) Does the base of the wing sit on top of the existing retractable wing? (with the factory wing obviously disabled)

2) My base came with 5 mounting holes. 3 of them fall about 2 inches in from the edge of the hatch. The other two seem to fall where the stock wing is. I'm extremely confused!

My car is at the body shop and both me and the tech scratched our heads. The whole wing is supported with 3 screws at the base and some glue? I just want to make sure this is correct. I might end up just selling the wing because I feel bad drilling into the hatch. I appreciate all of your help in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Hey guys,

I have been lingering on this forum for about a year without a username and just recently joined after purchasing my 2010 Cayman S. I have done PLENTY of research on the Techart style wing. I decided to order the Ingo Noak wing (which is the same as the Techart but marginally smaller on the topside. Being that the company is German, their English is not the greatest and I'm having a hard time extracting the answers I need. Okay so on to my questions...

1) Does the base of the wing sit on top of the existing retractable wing? (with the factory wing obviously disabled)

2) My base came with 5 mounting holes. 3 of them fall about 2 inches in from the edge of the hatch. The other two seem to fall where the stock wing is. I'm extremely confused!

My car is at the body shop and both me and the tech scratched our heads. The whole wing is supported with 3 screws at the base and some glue? I just want to make sure this is correct. I might end up just selling the wing because I feel bad drilling into the hatch. I appreciate all of your help in advance!
Funny you should ask. Late NOTE: The following applies to TA Spoiler for 981 series B and C not the earlier ones.

Upon request from TechArt I received about a week ago the install PDF for their "rear spoiler" #081.100.800.009. Applicable info for its install is in section 2.4, pp 15 -28 of download. I am interested also in Spoiler but want/NEED to know what is involved aka install, etc. before any $$$ exchange.

I agree that instructions are ambiguous in many areas and often pics not all that useful; With no exploded and stacked/aligned overview of attachment it is hard to follow install. Most difficult without any parts sitting in front of me for sure.

Some comments re your Q.

On page 24 of my PDF, steps 41 through 44 are most confusing. Part #20 is referenced in Fig 34 and 35 but in the latter is says original ?? rear bottom ..... Then in Step 44 part #22 appears out of no where??? I might guess that in Fig 35 it should read part 22 rather than 20? and such IS NOT not part of P OEM unit. My thought is that there is really a new TechArt bottom cover (spoiler) that like wing/spoiler itself needs to be painted and AND fills void where P OEM retractable spoiler sat when down.

Follow on steps 49-51 discuss brackets that will somehow attach new TechArt wing/spoiler - do they mean to the new TechArt base part 22 ???? mounted to bumper surround. If there is no such TechArt filler piece to fill the void created when OEM spoiler is UP then this is a NO GO for LG.

But NOW see step 53 for more confusion. "Slide the TechArt rear spoiler from behind and ONTO??? the tailgate". I assume latter is the trunk rear wall/bumper surround which maybe has a new spoiler bottom, part 22 attached, but who knows.

A Q for you GreeKon. While I understand your purchase was not from TechArt, but 1) what are the materials of construction for base?? and wing/spoiler and 2) what is the quality of the surfaces to be painted?? Are they all primed and ready to go to a paint booth?? Do you see two pieces of material to be painted - part 26 the spoiler itself and maybe 22 the new base?

Keep P-9 advised and take lottttttssssss of pictures.

:cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Q for you GreeKon. While I understand your purchase was not from TechArt, but 1) what are the materials of construction for base?? and wing/spoiler and 2) what is the quality of the surfaces to be painted?? Are they all primed and ready to go to a paint booth?? Do you see two pieces of material to be painted - part 26 the spoiler itself and maybe 22 the new base?

Keep P-9 advised and take lottttttssssss of pictures.

I'm not quite sure about which figures you're pertaining to, but I'll do my best to explain. My wing came in two pieces. The base, which gets bolted onto the decklid...and the stands and top shelf wing which are molded together. The wing itself looks to be fiberglass construction with a gelcoat on top. As with ANY aftermarket parts, it's never ready for paint. Prepwork is ALWAYS required, no matter the price/quality of the item.

When I turn the base upside down, it has what appears to be a notch/carving where it looks like the original wing would fit. I'm assuming that the original wing is meant to stay in place (disabled ofcourse) and the wing mounts on top? My only concern is that there are 5 threaded holes on the bottom of my base, two of which fall on top of the original wing, leaving no room for attachment. The other three holes are lined up with the rear hatch and sit in about two or three inches from the edge.

I believe the techart original and possibly the replicas are 3 pieces. The base, stands, and wing. But I'm curious as to how the techart base is attached. I want to make sure 3 mounting points plus glue will suffice.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
The piece that mounts to the rear hatch is bolted and glued to the hatch itself. The original wing is removed and the hydraulic wing Rams are disabled or removed. There is a slot/groove in the underside of the newly mounted base that sits over the rear most lip that is behind and below the original wing. The newly mounted base sits back off the hatch about an inch so that the slot in the base can sit over the old wing base on the rear bumper.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Anyone out there with install info and opinions as regards the TechArt Spoiler for the 981 B series?

TechArt RSpoiler.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been in touch with Ingo Noak and they sent me installation pics. I will post them when I get a moment. The techart spoiler is very similar in design. I'm assuming ingo noak copied the design and made it on a smaller scale.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello All,
I just bought my tech art style Carbon Fiber rear wing and should be receiving it tomorrow or the next day.
Here is the one I bought for my car 06 12 Cayman 987 BSD TS Style Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler Body Kit Wing | eBay
It was only $1150.00 with shipping.
I did not buy it because of the price how ever .... I liked the look of the upper wing blade in CF and will be painting the uprights and base to match my car.
Then adding the design edition one ghost stripes to it before installing it.

I will post pictures of it as soon as it arrives and any instructions it comes with .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well my spoiler just arrived a few minutes ago so here are the pictures of it.
It came with no instructions or photos for installing it.
WP_20150225_001.jpg WP_20150225_002.jpg WP_20150225_003.jpg WP_20150225_004.jpg WP_20150225_005.jpg WP_20150225_006.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Reactions: lowflier

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
wow. looks good.

make sure to put some clear film on the little remaining duck tail once you remove the existing wing. The base on the new wing will rub that area.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Mine was crooked and I had to customize it to be level .the holes on the side struts were drilled incorrectly and after several attempts to request a repair or new wing I was denied and had to just have a shop fit it .cost me lots and was never happy .very dissapointed

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
then factor in when you ever have to sell your Car . A botched rear wing glued to the rear hatch kills the resale value .. Options are out there, this wing is totally 100% OEM reversible and adds .50 more rear end track time . currently not available at this time but maybe soon .Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
WHO MAKES THAT ONE? wHY IS IT NOT AVAILABLE?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts