Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2006 Cayman S with only 19k miles. My engine management light came on the other day.

Following visit to Porsche Dealer i have been told the slip ring at the end of the camshaft has come loose and they will need to replace camshaft.

I have been quoted £2500 to fix (new camshaft + 10 hours labour!) They have raised a good gesture case and reduced to £1800 (reduced replacement camshaft by 70%).

This is my first Porsche and disappointed the camshaft is faulty after 19k miles.

Is this a common problem?? I am calling customer servcies tomorrow to see if they will discount the labour.

Any thougts??

·
Registered
620 Posts
Sorry to hear this, and, No, this is not common at all. If, in the end, you don't get enough assistance from Porsche, I'm sure a good independent shop could do it for a lot less. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

No rattle and car appeared to drive fine. Any thought son what if can be?

I have called Porsche customer services and they wont budge on discount level.

I' really disappointed as a camshaft should not go faulty in a high performance car after 19k miles (which is not driven hard)

They have offered 70% off the part. Will i be able to take part and just get done at an Independent?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Why is this not covered under warranty? You didn't cause the problem.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Why is this not covered under warranty? You didn't cause the problem.
He is from the UK, and IIRC they don't have a 4-year warrenty like we do in the states.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts