Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the LR inside shoulder of a 235/45/18 RE 71 r with 20-25 DE sessions on it. Tread depth is uniform at 6.5/16. Camber is -2.2. The front at -1.8 looks even better.

I am moving to Nitto NT-O1s in sizes 245/40/18 and 275/40/18 and will keep the RE 71s as spares.I am trying to assess solely from a wear standpoint whether to make any alignment changes in order to achieve reasonable tire life in the Nittos. Handling is in all respects excellent.

The car is pushed hard in DE and only driven on the street occasionally to keep all sys unitems healthy--maybe 500 street miles a month during 6 months.

This seems like decent wear to me for the use history, but I am new to Pcars and would welcome comments. Can anyone "read" the wear in this tire and comment on how any alignment changes might affect that? Toe is 0 front 12 minutes rear, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Why would you chose Nitto's over RE71R's with the tire looking like this with 20-25 session on it plus some daily drives. If cleaned up, you could easily just say they were street driven. If you increased the width of the RE71R's to 255/35/18 f and 275/35/18 r you will easily best whatever time you develop with the Nitto's. You car was under tire sized last season from a tire footprint point of view As far as using them as backup, they do deteriorate just sitting in your garage waiting for the Natto's to fail. If you do dismount these RE71R's and re mount them, ask the tire shop to inside out the tires so the inside shoulder is now on the outside. Rotation will be the same direction.

Your camber looks like its maxed out without either camber plates or adjustable LCA's. If you have GT3 style LCA's in front, I would increase the camber to at least -2.5 and keep the rear at -2.2. The toe is fine at 0 f and toe in at 12 minutes r.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apex1:

First and foremost, thank you for posting. I always appreciate the passion and detail you bring to this forum. You really care about this.

My response to your post is that many carefully calculated variables figured into my choice of this Nitto in this size. What I chose is right for me. Here is why, if anyone but me cares.

I have a long history of road racing before DE. Many of those years were on Nittos. I trust them to last and stick to the end. The fastest and smartest guys I raced with were most often on Nittos.

They are softer than the tire you recommend, so they should stick better; although that is more complicated than comparing UTQG. For instance, Nitto tread is 6/32 as opposed to 8/32, so there will be less dynamic distortion througout tread life. They have a wider footprint than the tire you recommend. They are more compatible with X73 design than what you recommend, because a tire is a spring on a spring and when you move into a 35 with a stiffer sidewall than a road 35, you start messing with X73 design parameters; or so I have been told.

I am concerned about lowering the car too much with a 35 AR to get it into the trailer, or exposing my already-low Soul catless race header to more street hazards that go bump in the night, or that rip your expensive exhaust off the car when you go off the track at 100 mph and start bouncing through rutted runoff areas like a pogo stick. The tires you recommend make the car lower. It will be as low as it can be with the Nittos.

Less can be more in tire size too. A wider tire body creates more aero drag at race speeds. That isn't a factor in autocross. A larger tire takes longer to heat up, often a factor in sprints. A larger tire usually has more unsprung weight. It acquaplanes more easily if you are caught in the rain.

The point is that everyone comes at this differently. There is no "best" brand, model or size, or way to engage motorsport.

And I don't want to spend $3,000 to get 0.4 more negative front camber. I like slightly more in the rear. The car slides less, which is always faster. Maybe that's why the old tires, which will be possibly useful as spares at the track if a tire deflates, look so good.

This is an excellent no-fuss setup now for DE track and occasional street if that is what you seek. I fussed about small increments of speed for years, and now revel in the simplicity of untimed DE, where you find someone trustworthy to dice with and all that matters is intense fun. I have no desire to change that, except that moving to the Nittos in that size was a rational step to cost-effective incremental handling improvement without sacrifing any other carefully-considered value.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
dcnarnet- I too have Soul long tube catless headers and a lower car than yours from coilovers and corner balancing. But each to their own opinions. I like the stiff sidewalls of the RE71R's that allow them to be run at slightly less pressure. Just by looking at your rear tire with those track events on the tires, they certainly seem to be ready for more action especially if you use some Hot Lap on them.

Good luck with your Nitto's.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. And for those looking for mixed-use suspension settings that peform well on track and don't eat tires on or off, I can vouch for -1.8 F -2.2 rear camber, toe 0 F 12 minutes R.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You need to drive harder, those tires look new! :-D

I have 23 sessions on my RE71Rs with -2.75deg up front and -2.2 in the rear. All tread is worn off the outsides of the tires, especially the back. I'm going to flip flop them on the wheels before the next event and also add more rear camber. You'll find you'll want even more neg camber as you push harder.

That said, NT01s are excellent tires and will last longer than the RE71Rs. RE71Rs are a tick faster for a few laps, though. For a full session the NT01s hold up much better. NT01s are the greatest HPDE/practice tire ever made imho.

·
Premium Member
34,243 Posts
Not nearly as track experienced as you AND I run the 19" RE's but my (limited) experience has been they work out well. I got 21 sessions out of my first set and I feel I would have gotten more if I had been better about the tire temperature (31-32 is ideal). I have no experience with the NITTO's as they do not seem to be available in the 19" size. I have been considering getting a set of 18" wheels but I already have enough trouble swapping out tires (20" to 19") so I've been avoiding it. Car is setup for track alignment as much as factory will allow. Not yet ready to commit given its a DD. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to drive harder, those tires look new! :-D

I have 23 sessions on my RE71Rs with -2.75deg up front and -2.2 in the rear. All tread is worn off the outsides of the tires, especially the back. I'm going to flip flop them on the wheels before the next event and also add more rear camber. You'll find you'll want even more neg camber as you push harder.

That said, NT01s are excellent tires and will last longer than the RE71Rs. RE71Rs are a tick faster for a few laps, though. For a full session the NT01s hold up much better. NT01s are the greatest HPDE/practice tire ever made imho.
Thanks.

The wear has nothing to do with not pushing hard.

It is partly because the tires do not have that many sessions on them.

It is also partly how I corner a car at speed on a track. This involves quick car rotation right after turn-in using trail braking to the apex and may differ from how many DE drivers do it. My race tires have alway tended to last.
Some yaw after early decisive but controlled rotation is fastest, sliding around never is.

It is also about picking reasonable camber numbers.I understand the relationship between mechanical grip and corner speed. I just don't care much any more about optimizing grip for untimed/ unscored track use by "buying" expensive camber that eats tires. Everyone should choose their own way to do this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts