Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did another autox today and had a blast, but i am in dyer need of camber plates. I am chewing up the outside edge of my front tires badly, because i could only get -0.55 caber. Anyone know of any caber plates available for the Cayman yet?

I sent MantisSport a PM about this, because i think they were working on some, but anyone know of anything else.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was fast. They didn't have the camber plates listed under parts available for the Cayman online, only for 996s. I've sent them an email asking about camber plates for the Cayman.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Attilas, MantisSport has two versions and both in stock. Modified stock ones, which will give you 1.6 degrees with 1.4 lowering springs from Eibach. Our billet race units are for 2.5' coilover setups, 2.75 degrees, thats whats on the Racing Cayman S. You may also need our 1.5 qt sump extension.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
earnie, when you say 2.5' coil over set up, i presume that's how much you lowered the car?

if you used the deeper sump, what's the clearance from the bottom of sump to the ground? my rear center of wheel to arch lip is at 14.75' and the oem sump is VERY close to the pavement.

also, is your sump in stock? and is it just deaper or is it baffled as well?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ernie,

My Cayman has PASM, so i need PASM specific springs. Really i'd like to just get a set of camber plates that can get me around -1.5/2.0 caberwithout changing the springs, although i'm not sure if that is possible. I don't really want to lowermy car(at least right now), but if that is my only choice then i'll have to wait for some PASM specific springs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I heard that the GT-3 adjustable lower control arms work on the Cayman S. I have them from my Boxster S and I'm waiting for my 07 Cayman S to install them. Someone on the Boxster Racing Board said they work, he put them on his Cayman S. These would allow you to give it more negative camber without altering the springs or ride height.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
<table style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" width="100%">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="OVERFLOW: hidden" valign="top" width="16%" rowspan="2">
<div class="smalltext">

</div>
</td>
<td valign="top" width="85%" height="100%">
<table width="100%" border="0">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td valign="middle" align="left"></td>
<td valign="middle" align="left">Re: More front Camber ???
<div class="smalltext">« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:16:46 PM »</div>
</td>
<td style="FONT-SIZE: smaller" valign="bottom" nowrap="nowrap" align="right" height="20"></td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
<hr class="hrcolor" width="100%" size="1" />
<div style="OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 100%">
<div class="quoteheader">Quote from: Mick on Today at 12:40:30 PM</div>
<div class="quote">The choices that come to mind are:

GT3 lower control arms, or

Camber plates, or

Lowering springs (good for about 1 more degree), or

Coilovers (same effect as lowering springs + better/adjustable shocks + for some brands, built-in camber plates), or

Elongate (via grinding) the holes at the top of the strut tower -- illegal for competitive class systems I know of and perhaps creating a structural problem.

Good luck,

Mick

</div>

Elongating the holes is SCCA SP legal and shouldn't create a structural problem. GT3 lower control arms are not SCCA SP legal.

Not that the original poster is looking for SP legality, just thought I would clarify. </div>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
http://boxcar-racing.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ea90a9b936f75ab11f4b658b8029e170&topic=67.0

·
Registered
129 Posts
2.5' refers to 2.5 diameter coilovers, not ride height. We measure ride height from the jack point to the ground. 4' I believe, Modifed upper strut mounts will give 1.5 approx degrees, no grinding the slots.. Deep sump plate spacer is in stock. Can come with a baffle plate, you reuse the stock baffle either way, baffle plate we use also helps as we run nose mounted oil cooler/pump setup. All you Cayman owners should check your oil temps, sump oil temps are about 260F plus when running hard or racing. oil cooler brings it down to 230F under racing conditions. Sump extension has plently of clearance, 20mm thick. Call 905-844-6219 est parts in stock, shipped 4 pcs already, Spencer at Farmbacher has one.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to Evo Motorsport and they said that their camber plates are set to give an additional -1 degree of negative camber on a stock car. They are not adjustable. They are also solid billet aluminum instead of rubber, so thats a plus as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
what is the stock camber on the cayman? one degree of additional negative camber doesn't seem like much additional camber.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stock aligment from the factory seems to vary a bit, but they are usually around 0. It seems that after an alignment most people are getting between -0.5 - 1.0 in the front and -1.0 - 1.5 in the rear.

Since i still drive my Cayman on the street quite a bit i don't want to go too radical. I'm looking for around -1.5 - 2.0 in the front and a bit more in the rear.

An extra degree of camber makes a pretty big difference. I could feel the 1/2 degree i got from just an alignment.

·
Registered
489 Posts
just thought I would let everyone know that I just installed the GT3 lower control arms and the 996 trailing arm so that I could get more camber. I am now at -2.5 degrees in the front. I will be at pocono this weekend and will let you know how much better it is.

·
Registered
489 Posts
the price was something like $350 for the arms and $150 for the trailing arm. I also got the GT3 brake ducks which are much bigger than the stock ones. They worked out great. I now have -2.5 camber, it really made a difference on the track and it was much better forthe tires too. I am running pcups right now and plan to get the R6's once I run through these. I would recommend getting the arms, just make sure that you use a place that knows what they are doing to put them in, you also need the 996 trailing arm. Farnbacher did the work for my car.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Craig, What was the total cost for parts and the installation? Can you adjust the settings yourself? How easy is it to do? Thanks for trying this out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts