Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CampioniShop presents Forgestar wheels. An exciting new company that debuted in 2009 with exciting new designs, manufacturing technology and unmatched pricing!

About Forgestar:

Introducing the World's 1st 1 piece lightweight flow formed wheel lineup.

• 1 piece flow formed wheels
  • Lightweight
  • Clears big brake kit
  • Great range of offsets
  • Same Technology Used on Formula 1 and Indy Cars
  • Available in 18", 19" and 20"
  • Available finish: Gunmetal, Gold, Matte black, Piano black
  • Custom made: 3 to 6 weeks lead time for production

IMPORTANT NOTES:
    Your stock log bolts will NOT fit the Forgestar openings. We can include a set of bolts for an extra $40.
    All Forgestar wheels are provided with hub centric rings in order to mount the wheels.

18" Forgestar F14 have passed at a 1520 LBS or 690KG load rating and have JWL and VIA certification!

Forgestar's recommend sizing:
  • Front: 19x8.5 +45 ET
  • Rear: 19x10 +38 ET

Weights (will vary slightly depending on offset):
18x8.5: 17.6 lbs
18x10: 18.2 lbs

19x8.5: 22.5 lbs
19x10: 24.7 lbs

Pricing:
MSRP 19": $1860
MSRP 18": $1600

PM for best pricing.

Customization of your wheels:

Pin strip: $160 per set
Karbon finish: $1000 per set

FLOW-FORMING

Forgestar's flowforming process is a unique solution to a common problem – how to make a wheel both light and strong.

This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel. During Flow Forming, the pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel. The resulting grain structure within the alloy of the wheel is linear, flowing in a single direction.

This grain structure pattern, combined with the exceptional quality of casting required for the process, gives the rim area of the wheel huge mechanical strength, and elongation. As a result of these mechanical characteristics, Forgestar is able to reduce the thickness of the rim area resulting in reduced weight, without compromising strength and resistance to impact.

Cancellation policy:

Custom wheel orders cannot be cancelled once the wheels are in production. A cancellation is subject to a 50% restocking fee if the wheels are in production.

Pictures from Forgestar's blog about a fellow Planet-9'er!

Karbon finish:

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I know I am interested in the 18". What is the weight front/rear? Where is the flow forming process compared to other construction/fabrication methods? Forged is considered the best, and ?????

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Those are beautiful wheels. Am I correct in understanding that "flow forming" appears to be something of a cast/forged hybrid manufacturing process?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There are 3 main manufacturing types in the street wheels industry:
  1. Cast
  2. Flow formed
  3. Forged (different levels/quality of forging 1000 ton, 3000, 8000, etc.)

BBS also uses flow forming for some of their wheels in their lineup.
Flow forming enables higher structural rigidity and a lighter wheel when compared to cast, however it is still heavier than a proper forged wheel. It should be considered as a middle ground between cast and a proper forged wheel. If you would like this model but prefer forged for even lighter weight and higher rigidity, they do manufacture the F14F (F for forged).

Weights (will vary slightly depending on offset):
18x8.5: 17.6 lbs
18x10: 18.2 lbs

19x8.5: 22.5 lbs
19x10: 24.7 lbs

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Wow, those are incredibly lightweight. The price is incredible too. If I hadn't recently bought some Champion RG5s I would have bought these!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nice looking rims!

Few questions:

1. Are they hub-centric? Do they require rings for the hub, or are they made specifically for Porsche?

2. Will the TPMS fit? Also, if I get gunmetal rims, will the TPMS be off color?

3. The weights listed above are for the rims offered, not the Full Forged rims, right?

4. The car pictured, are they 18's or 19's, and do you know if it's been dropped and how much?

5. Lastly, what kind of offsets can be produced for the 18's? I'm currently running stock 18's with 7mm spacers in front, 14mm in rear and love the look. Can the offset be made to provide the same profile without spacers? Would this essentially move in the center area of the rim (preferred!).

6. Do you have close-ups of the center-caps?

Thanks - Great lookin rims!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Those wheels in the photos look like 19s.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Owen,

Lots of great questions, thanks for asking!

1. No! However Forgestar does provide the hub rings.

2. Yes, your OE' TPMS will fit, however they will be whatever color they are from factory and might be off color on the FS wheels.

3. The weights listed are for the flow formed, not forged, you were correct.

4. 19", lowered on Eibach's pro kit.

5. Any offset you desire, Forgestar recommends Front: 19/18x8.5 +45 ET Rear: 19/18x10 +38 ET. You can run a slightly more aggressive setup with lower offset if you want a really flush fitment, however you might starting running into rubbing issues with the fenders.

6. Of course :) They have released a new center cap design not so long ago to replace the red/gold original center cap.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The pricing is the same at this GB, difference is on S/H.

We can do a GB with free S/H however we need 5 pre-paid commited orders, if we can find 5 guys, I'll be glad to have these shipped for free! :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The F05:
Available in: Silver, Gunmetal, Piano black.
Pricing:

MSRP 19": $1600
Special: $1199

Note: No, that is not a typo :) Only available in 19"!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not a Porsche, but hopefully a Ferrari will still help :)
P.S.: The lip size will vary depending on the offset.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Private message sent in light of a set of wheels for my particular vehicle. You are most welcome to contact me in the same manner, unless the subject matter exceeds the parameters of that of the original than it would be best done over the telephone. If so, my mobile is (615)440-8362.

Carlos Jr

·
Registered
992 Posts
Dammit bad timing...I just ordered a set of F14's a few days ago. Note to forum members:

-The 2-4 week lead time is highly optimistic, unless you order gold.
-There has been quite a bit of heated discussion on these wheels, mainly regarding the 18" versions. Google to find it.

Mods, if this post doesn't belong here, feel free to delete it. Just giving my thoughts on the product on display.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
If I ordered the F-05, with black spokes, what is the expected eta?
Also are you doing w/tires & tpms sensors?
What width lip for the rears?
thanks,

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got off the phone with Forgestar.

F05 in Black, they confirmed lead-time is 2 weeks.
F05 rear lip on a 10" wheel will be 3.5".
You would have to have a local shop mount your tires and TPMS.

Scottschoe does make a good point, when I personally ordered Forgestar wheels (19" F14 in Ti.) it took 6 weeks to manufacture and 2 to ship out, so around 8 weeks total. Forgetar has reassured me those were growing pains and they got their act figured out.

Additional information regarding their forged F14F:
2 piece modular design
6,000 ton forged
Forging allows a lip on the F14 wheel of around 3" on a 10" rim.

1 - 20 of 459 Posts