Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've seen my other thread you may know I'm getting pretty close to purchasing a 2006 CS (here) from the west coast, and because I''m on the east coast I'm trying to get as much information on the car as possible.
I was able to identify the dealer the car was purchased and maintained at (Rusnak/Westlake Porsche) so what I'm wondering is, is there any way a dealer can get me in touch with the previous owner?
It seems like there should be some way, but after a short talk with the service department they are telling me they can't. There's got to be some way though; anybody have any ideas, or have a connection with someone at the dealer in Rusnak that might be able to reach out to the PO for me?
THANKS!

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Of course the dealer has access to the prior owner's info if they sold and/or serviced the car. However, absent the prior owner's permission, they absolutely shouldn't share that private information. If I were the prior owner and my contact information is given to a stranger without my approval, I would be really, really pissed. You might ask the service manager or sales manager if the dealership is willing to contact the prior owner for permission. There are good reasons they may not be willing to do so, and good reasons the prior owner may prefer to be left alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I wasn't trying to get direct access to the POs contact information, but I was hoping they could reach out to them for me and ask them to contact me if they wanted to, but they wouldnt do that either.
I would bet if they were the ones selling the car they'd do it. That's why I'm looking for suggestions maybe from someone who's done it before.
Connections to someone at the dealer who might be a little more willing to help me out wouldn't be bad either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They can, but they are not supposed to give it to you. I have all of the service records on my car from the certification, they are supposed to black out the owners name but the salesman told me it was to much of a problem for him to do it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
When I sell a car to a dealer I'm done with the car, I would not want to be contacted by the dealer or the subsequent buyer. It may sound cold but the car is no longer my concern.

If you've seen my other thread you may know I'm getting pretty close to purchasing a 2006 CS (here) from the west coast, and because I''m on the east coast I'm trying to get as much information on the car as possible.
I was able to identify the dealer the car was purchased and maintained at (Rusnak/Westlake Porsche) so what I'm wondering is, is there any way a dealer can get me in touch with the previous owner?
It seems like there should be some way, but after a short talk with the service department they are telling me they can't. There's got to be some way though; anybody have any ideas, or have a connection with someone at the dealer in Rusnak that might be able to reach out to the PO for me?
THANKS!

Reactions: qhb

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I once traded-in a BMW 535 for another make. The car had quite a history including nearly being totaled. It had been repaired and was in excellent condition. I'd owned it for 8 yrs and over 100K miles. But I didn't keep a paper-trail of maintenance - mostly DIY or used indies.
BTW, the trade was with a dealer in Indiana (near my summer cottage) and I lived in Chicago. A few weeks after the trade I got a call on my answering machine from a potential buyer saying he found a proof-of-insurance card in the car with my name/address info (very unlikely - probably the dealer gave the info to him). I was very annoyed. I ignored the call. Once I handed-over the title I was done with that car. I also never went back to that dealer for anything.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
FWIW I was able to get the service history of my CPO car from the dealer I bought the car from who was also the original leasing dealer. They blacked out the previous owner. He was a cheap stake with the service from what I could see. My local dealer could only see warranty work done on the car, not any service work which I found odd.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not exactly the same situation here as you want pre-sale info but after purchase, I found the address of the owner in the GPS, used the internet to get an email address and sent him a note. Asked if he'd be willing to share info via email, he agreed and I got a LOT of information that was great to have.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The previous owner of my car left his paperwork in the owner's folder in the glove compartment when he traded his car in and the dealer never removed it. I never saw fit to contact him for anything regardless, it was a pretty clean and straightforward car with no stories.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Of course the dealer has access to the prior owner's info if they sold and/or serviced the car. However, absent the prior owner's permission, they absolutely shouldn't share that private information. If I were the prior owner and my contact information is given to a stranger without my approval, I would be really, really pissed. You might ask the service manager or sales manager if the dealership is willing to contact the prior owner for permission. There are good reasons they may not be willing to do so, and good reasons the prior owner may prefer to be left alone.
+1 on the above post. The dealer definately has the contact info of the previous owner but should not hand that out. If a dealer did that to me I would never buy a car from them again. If somebody I did not know called me up and asked me about a car I used own and drilled me about how I maintained the car I would be pretty pissed. However if the dealer called me first and asked if I would contact the person and they said the person was cool I would not have a problem calling up the person and helping them out. It is all about how the situation is handled but then again it depends the mood I am in when I get the call. LOL

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
832 Posts
Not sure what you hope to gain by contacting the previous owner. You are buying the car not the previous owner. As long as the car checks out and you can confirm the car's servicing is acceptable that is all that matters.

I can tell you in that in CA there can be some serious repercussions should the dealer divulge the previous owner's name/contact info. The dealer won't even bother to ask for the dealer has no real paperwork/forms to get the owner's permission in a way that would likely stand up in court if the pervious owner took exception because the new owner bothered the previous owner about some issue that arose after the new owner bough the car.

·
Revhead
371 Posts
Not sure what you hope to gain by contacting the previous owner.
Satiation of curiosity.

I gleaned our CS's previous owner's name from the Virginia title, as the local county clerk was processing the transfer to a Texas title. I googled him, found out he was a real estate agent in his home town, called his office, and left a polite message with his secretary asking if he would mind giving me a call because I would like to ask him a couple of questions about his car that I had just bought.

He called back a couple of hours later, and I explained that we had bought the car for my wife, that we loved it, and were merely curious why he had got rid of such a great ride. He reassured me that it had been his pride and joy, never tracked, only driven on weekends, but he had eventually succumbed to the need for something with more than two seats.

I had hoped to find out when the original Carrera II wheels were replaced by the lightweight Cayman R 19's that are on it now, but apparently they were already on it when he bought it.

I'd still like to find the original owner (we're #3), but I'm not going to spend any time digging further.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts