Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2009 cayman I'm close to finalizing the deal with doesn't have Xenon. My 2 options is paying for a factory install of the xenons (which I hear is out of the question mechanically) or get the Philips Bi-Xenon kit. I want it to be as close to stock as possible. Does anyone have any experience with them? My dealer has already agreed to do the reset that will be required once we swap them. Is there any other quality issues I need to be worried about down the road? They come in 2 colors - 4300 and 6000. Which one matches the stock?

thx in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry, I have to take this opportunity to complain about ridiculous optioning from Porsche. That a $40K+ car does not come standard with Xenon/HID is ridiculous. I hope you got a right good discount for the dealership selling you on a car that never should have been made in the first place.

Nothing personal, just a poor choice from Porsche, I believe.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Sorry, I have to take this opportunity to complain about ridiculous optioning from Porsche. That a $40K+ car does not come standard with Xenon/HID is ridiculous. I hope you got a right good discount for the dealership selling you on a car that never should have been made in the first place.

Nothing personal, just a poor choice from Porsche, I believe.
So it's a bad thing that Porsche allows those that don't want bi-Xenon for whatever reason, to be able to choose? Porsche seems to allow more customization via options than almost any car manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I've had a xenon light kit on my A3 for a few yearswith no issues, however the one thing to be aware of is that the lens is normally different between halogen and xenon meaning the light spreads differently.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
There should be little in it as the technology is the same and the biggest thing is any xenon is much better than halogen. Any retrofit kit is not designed for a specific application and so that may be a downside, but is it enough to make the huge price difference worth it? I think not.

The biggest advantage I can see is that if you sell the car then maybe a person would be more interested in OEM units over aftermarket and the integrated fitment.

You will be hard psuhed to find someone with the definitive answer as I doubt anyone has done a back to back drive/comparrison between retrofit and OEM xenons.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have any before pics sorry but I can surely take some after pics.

Was it complex?
Depends on how quickly you can remove the panels and lay out the wiring. If you're a wiz at removing the front panels in the hood section, it can be a breeze. Connecting the the unit to the cars electrical takes all about 15 mins. Snaking the wire and reinstalling the panels can take easily an hr plus. This was my first HID install so it took too long...

Note that they sell that kit w/ a relay harness which isn't needed. The install didn't trip any codes for me if that offers any piece of mind..

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Cool. After pics would be great. I know what mine look like today. Do you have the link to where you purchased them?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Philips makes a very nice kit, but I don't think you need the "relay system" which they might bundle with the package. The extra relay is to directly wire the ballasts to the battery though a relay. You can save about if $50 you delete this extra stuff. Netjack can confirm this I believe. I got this system, but have not yet installed it for lack of time, but it looks first class and I've not heard of any problems. I ordered the H7 low beam kit, but you can convert the high beams also with an H9 kit although I don't think you'll need it. I also opted for the almost-white 4300K bulbs rather than the 6000K blue-white bulbs. The 4300K are actually brighter and will punch though fog better than the bluer 6000K lamps.
:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gasman,

100% correct. I bought the package w/ the relay since no one had posted on them. Ended up returning the relay (got the $50 credit). Just call them (Philips Xenon HID Lights Bulbs Ballasts Kits) and tell them you want the kit w/out the relay.

I ended up getting the 6k for the low-beams. I drive mostly in the city so the super brightness on them doesn't bother me but when you get out in the burbs, man, are do they bright up the road signs. My wife complained it were too bright, but I think they're just right. They're heads and shoulders brighter/stronger than my 09 maxima's stock HID. I recommend the 6k you really won't notice the blue hue (that only comes into play at much higher K).

I will take a pic of my maxima's stock hid and the cayman hopefully over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Check the link above.
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had installed the Philips HID kit using existing headlight wires (not using the supplied cable with relay). I don't get any warning message, but every time I turn on the headlight, I get a faint ballast buzz from the dash board only with the engine on. I can hear it clearer if I put my ear next to the center air vent. I tried to disconnect one light at a time and I can still hear the buzz but smaller. With both lights out, there's no buzz. Anyone else with Philips kit hear this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.