Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post!:) And I'll start by saying that I've been researching the purchase of my dream car (and first Porsche) and this site has been pure gold. Many thanks to all of you who post here and share your knowledge and experience.

My question is this: I'm looking at an '08 Cayman S DE-1 for sale at an Englewood, NJ Porsche dealership. It has CPO status, a clean VIN history and the 14 photos of it online look fine. I'd love to go see the car before I buy, but I'm in the Seattle area and can't make it out there any time soon. Does the fact the car passed CPO inspection mean it's safe to buy based on what I can see online? Is an independent inspection (like a professional service) still a good idea?

·
Registered
189 Posts
In general a dealer's CPO car is a pretty sure thing, although a second opinion is always good. You could also ask the dealer for a copy of the CPO report to get a better feel for the car.

·
Registered
317 Posts
F1 Fan,

Last year I bought my 06 CPO'ed Cayman S from an out of state dealer without personally inspecting it. I just put a clause in the Purchase agreement that I reserve the right to refuse the deal should the car not pass my final inspection or if the dealer misrepresented any information about the car. I talked with the sales manager prior to adding that clause and they were fine with that. I also asked for and received an engine DME report. Based on those 3 factors: CPO, escape clause and DME report, I felt comfortable buying the car without personally seeing it.

Good luck

p.s. I have not had a lick of trouble from the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great suggestions and glad to hear, Suhkoi, that you've been down the same road--and had a trouble-free experience.

I'm going to put your suggestions to work and give the dealer a call this afternoon. I'll keep you all posted as I hope to be joining the ranks of Cayman drivers soon!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Hi Courtney,

Did you find out any information on the car when you were there? For the life of me I couldn't find it on their website. How many miles, and what are they asking for it?

·
Registered
282 Posts
F1 Fan any luck on finding a car? I am from NJ I can act as eyes on the ground if you like. Shopping Porsches is a bit boring but I think I can muttle through. :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
They were not open yet when I took the photo. But I am by there quite a bit and would be happy to get the derails. Drop me a PM and let me know If there is anything specific you are looking for.

I **think** I've seen the car under pre-owned on their website

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, been traveling and didn't get a chance to check the forum--

Wow, they still have it on the lot? I wanted the car and was ready to send a deposit, but the salesman I was dealing with told me back on May 24th that the GM of the dealership had decided to buy the car himself and took the car off the market. They'd had the car listed on cars.com for about 4 days and the ad was pulled on 5/23, and more recently, pulled from their inventory list on the dealership's online used car inventory.

Kind of a bummer to see it's still parked on the lot, I'd love to be driving it right now! :( I really liked that car. Oh, well. Thanks for the offer to be eyes on the ground for me, Chris135 and Courtney! If that car (or similar) pops up again, I'd like to take you up on the offer. Just not enough used inventory up here in the Seattle area.

investor27, the car is a 2008 Cayman S Design Edition 1 with 12,264 miles on it. It was a lease return out of Florida and the asking price was $55,995.

Meanwhile, the search continues...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait one! In either an amazing coincidence of timing with these posts or proof that the Porsche gods do move in mysterious ways, my salesman contacted me this morning to let me know that the DE-1 is available again. Apparently, the GM was trying to sell it to an acquaintance (not buy it himself--got that wrong before) and the deal fell through.

I'm in the mood to move fast, so working on a final deal to buy now, wish me luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The car was going to be sold to the gentleman who details all of their cars, as per a buddy who works for Town. Guess things changed.

--C

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am going to Paul Miller Porsche tomorrow for some new shoes on my CS. Maybe I will do a little window shopping.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
F1. Thanks for the reply. I hope that they will come around, and you'll be able to get that amazing car.

On a separate question: How feasible is it right now do you guys think I can get 10% off on an ordered $72,000 Boxster Spyder? If not now, when do you think the discount is possible? I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Sypder after being tired of waiting for the special Cayman S. But only if I can get 10% off on the order. Thanks everyone.

Sorry, been traveling and didn't get a chance to check the forum--

Wow, they still have it on the lot? I wanted the car and was ready to send a deposit, but the salesman I was dealing with told me back on May 24th that the GM of the dealership had decided to buy the car himself and took the car off the market. They'd had the car listed on cars.com for about 4 days and the ad was pulled on 5/23, and more recently, pulled from their inventory list on the dealership's online used car inventory.

Kind of a bummer to see it's still parked on the lot, I'd love to be driving it right now! :( I really liked that car. Oh, well. Thanks for the offer to be eyes on the ground for me, Chris135 and Courtney! If that car (or similar) pops up again, I'd like to take you up on the offer. Just not enough used inventory up here in the Seattle area.

investor27, the car is a 2008 Cayman S Design Edition 1 with 12,264 miles on it. It was a lease return out of Florida and the asking price was $55,995.

Meanwhile, the search continues...

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
My personal opinion, too much money for a 2008. A new Cayman will probaly be out by January 2012, 1 and 1/2 year away.

Park Place one of the sponsors advertised a manual 2009 at $56k. there were signicant differences between 2008 and 2009. See classifieds. It will be a model year older in 3 months. Wait for your car or ask for a better price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My personal opinion, too much money for a 2008. A new Cayman will probaly be out by January 2012, 1 and 1/2 year away.

Park Place one of the sponsors advertised a manual 2009 at $56k. there were signicant differences between 2008 and 2009. See classifieds. It will be a model year older in 3 months. Wait for your car or ask for a better price.
Yeah, I know mid 50s is on the high end for a 2008, but this car is loaded, had an msrp at about $83K and just seems right. Part of me wants to wait and see what comes up this fall in the form of '09 used cars or '10 leftovers but boy it's hard to hold off sometimes!

Do you all think I'll really miss what the Gen II's have to offer? Maybe I'll be ready for Cayman #2 by the time the Gen IIIs show up...

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Gen II really just means PDK... and Direct Injection, which may yet turn out to be a dubious 'improvement'. Your 2008's a low miles, nicely optioned car; but still a bit pricey. Negotiate a little off this car and you will have a new friend you'll never forget.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
The gen II has 25 additional hp, and a different suspension set up. The gen II engine is supposed to be free of oiling issues in a track enviroment. I have never driven a Gen II, so I am only relaying what I have read, and been told. PDK is a very nice option (expensive) and there are questions as to who will repair it when it breaks ($$$).

Just observations

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well folks, guess I'll just have to pass for now on the benefits of a Gen II because...

The DE-1 is mine! :banana:

It came together this morning and I'm going to start by saying that my salesman, Marc Faraj at Town Motors is a fantastic guy to buy a car from! He met my target price, was cool to deal with throughout my courtship of my new baby and really went the extra mile to help me land this car that I really love.

Now, the car: It's loaded. PASM, SC+, PCM w/nav, Bose, pwr seats, auto AC, bi-xenon, PSE, self-dim mirrors/rain sensor and the DE-1 package, which I really love the looks of. I've found there's still a link to one of the original ads for the car, you can see it here: http://showroom.auction123.com/town_motors_porsche/inventory/8522/WP0AB29858U781444.html

Now, I've got to keep myself busy while it gets shipped coast-to-coast!

Thanks to everyone here who have helped me out on this search and have continued to teach me more than I'd ever hoped to learn about these wonderful machines. I can't wait to be posting as a Cayman driver!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Very cool! . . . I drive by there many mornings, well before they open, and the car is simply gorgeous.

My bet is that you are going to be thrilled.

Congratulations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Courtney! I've had a grin on my face all day. And thanks for the photos you posted earlier--it was a good omen!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts