Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my baby back from the clear bra beeing installed. My dealer was very vague. I want to give it it's first coat of wax and I don't know if I should wax the clear bra. Anyone have comments on this?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yup...no problem no issue. You'll need your fine brush though. The clear bra seam traps lots of wax.

·
Administrator
34,485 Posts
I use Zaino and wax from the clear bra to the paint as opposed to the reverse and have never had a problem with stuff bunching up along the edge, but Zaino isn't like a thick paste wax. I did once about 5 years ago have some Zymol Carbon wax stain the clear bra a bluish color, had to remove and reinstall that piece of the clear bra, was a PIA! So don't use that wax or anything that might stain. Zaino works great.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I used zaino with my previous clear bra, I always tried to make sure to apply it as K-man S suggested going from the clear bra to the paint and if I did get any build up along the seam it was pretty easy to remove.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
This is all good advice above - one thing I can add is that my installer said to wait about a week before waxing it because the clear bra needs time to cure - especially around the edges - to make sure it adheres properly and the edges don't lift.

brad

·
Registered
741 Posts
Beez, I was told the same and it makes sense to me. It would seem to me the bra needs to breath a bit to let any moisture out in the form of vapor andfully adhere. I waited a week before waxing.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
The plastic clear bra material can be hand or power waxed, buffed, polished, etc. just the same as the painted surfaces & responds well to paint care products for removing light scratches or swirl marks. I try to use products that don't leave a visible residue (e.g., Zaino or Rejex) so the seams are less of a problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used a cotten swab with rubbing alcohol to remove the buildup from the clear bra edges. This was recommended to me by the folks at Clear Armor and it worked fine. I wouldn't dump a whole a bottle of the stuff on my car.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I just got an e-mail tonight from Sal Zaino regarding the use of Zaino on a clear bra. Here is my question and his answer:

I purchased and applied Zaino on my new Porsche Cayman and I'm very happy with the results. Great product. I do have a question however. I recently installed a 3M Clear Bra and wondered if there was any problem with applying the Z2 or Z6 over/on the clear bra. Will it damage the 3M film?Thanks,

Ken

To apply the transparent films like Dupont Surlyn or 3m Invinishield.
First remove Zaino using isoproply alcohol...

Follow manufacturers instructions and apply 3m film.

After applying film. Reapply Zaino... Zaino is excellent on all
films....

Thank You,
Sal Zaino
(732)833-8800
[url]http://www.zainobros.com[/url]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts