Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the sake of embarrassing myself I have to ask this question. I thought I would just figure it out and I have to a certain extent, butwould someone please give me a list of WHAT IS WHAT when it comes to these 3 digit numbers? All I ever knew was there was a'911', then when Icame to this site thereare references beign made to all these 993, 996 or 997 is there a 998? I think I need a cross reference chart.

Like what year are we referring to when we say 996 2000-2004? oris 997 a 2005? And what about the Boxter andthe Cayman I hear theBoxster called a 986, butno one calls the cayman a 987?

HELP! Russ/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/embaressed_smile.gif

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Russ,

In a nutshell, they're all 911s, these are the internal project numbers Porsche used....

964 - MY 1989-1994 included the first C4 all wheel drive
993 - MY 1995- 1998 - last of the 'air cooled' (actually oil cooled) 911s
996 - MY 1999-2004 first issue of water cooled engines, although the turbo, GT2 and GT3 996's used the old air-cooled engines with water-cooled heads, and there were MY 2005 turbos, Turbo S, and GT3s.
997 - 2005- present

986 - Boxster 1997-2004
987 - Boxster - 2005 - present

The Caymen is technically a 987 derivative - the designation is 987-120

Brad

Edited by - beez on 01/01/2006 1:41:01 PM

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brad,

Thanks a million! That is what I was hoping to get from someone. I thought I would wait to ask that question until my book, Thrill of the chase came, but I was simply tired of waiting.

Now let me ask, was I the only one here that didn't know that stuff? C'mon guy & gals make me feel a little better.

Aloha Russ

·
Registered
25 Posts
Russ:

I'm glad you asked that question because I have been so confused for the past three mos. For my birthday thismorning my kids gave me a book called 'Porsche - The Road From Zuffenhausen' by Dennis Adler. That was one of the first things I wanted to understand. By the way, it's an outstanding book and I would recommend it to anyone.

Scouser

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Scouser! I am feeling better already and I will look for the book at B&N.

Russ

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Russ; THANX for asking!!!!! As this being my first Pcar, I, like you, were trying to figure it out on my own. Did not do so good tho. Now I can print it out and begin down the road of Porsche Information....

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Like beez I've spent way too much money buying new Porsches not to know. It is almost embarrassing.<o:p></o:p>[/quote]

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to tell you when I first came upon this site there was no way I would have posted that question. I had no idea an online forum could be occupied with so many clones of myself! Now I am not afraid to ask any question, BTW anyone know where you put the put gas in the car??? Duhh??/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/stupid.gif

Russ

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="6" width="100%" border="0" class="tborder">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td class="tcat">Porsche Models</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="alt1">
<div class="normal">The database is organized primarily by model categories (such as 911) which themselves contain more detailed models (such as 911 Carrera, 911 Turbo, etc.) This is very comprehensive. There will be a test on this Friday morning.

(Wondering what it all means? Check out this quick yet fairly comprehensive introduction to the Porsche cars) </div>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/home.php?do=models

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Yes. I've been busy checking out the specs of all the Porsches that I've owned and the details I've forgotten.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mpollard,

Now that looks like homework! And here I wondered what I was going to do next to keep myself occupied.

Thanks Russ

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mr Pollard, Thats the most helpful information Ive read on the site to date, & thanks to Russ for asking the question.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The internal name for the Cayman is also C7S

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
One thing that's worth point out is that with the 996 version of the 911 Porsche entered the "modern" era of car manufacturing. The Boxster (986) and 911 (996) were identical from the front bumper to the windshield and built using "just in time" manufacturing techniques learned from Japanese consultants hired to help Porsche save it's financial bottom.....line. Previous non-911 Porsches had little or nothing in common with "the icon" with the exception (ironically in retrospect) of the 914-6 which had a 911T flat six. My point is that for all the anguish and handwringing about the Cayman vs. 911, the fact is that the latest Porsche sports cars, the 997 911 and 987 Boxster/Cayman have an enormous amount of shared engineering, technology, and design. A 997 has an order of magnitude more in common with a Cayman than with a 993 911 including the M96 engine design which was also a departure from tradition for Porsche when introduced in 1997 with the Boxster. That's another story.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mpollard,

That website is incredible, it is on my desktop now. I have only just begun to tap into it, but what a neat history of Porsches. I cannot believe how nice that car looked in 1939!

Thanks Russ

·
Registered
831 Posts
Russ:

You want real homework? Please check out Paul Frére's 'Porsce 911 Story'. No more updates are being made to it and he lists some of the most unique technical history of the 911 that you will see how it shaped the Boxster/Cayman, even though the book does not mention anything about them.

Cheers,

Edited by - FT on 01/02/2006 7:12:42 PM

·
Registered
394 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts