Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Bought my Cayman about 3 months ago, it has minor fogging in the back window where the brake light is. It almost looks like salt crystals, but I'm not sure. I live in a very dry, desert climate. We don't have salt on the roads and it doesn't rain often, I'm not sure what this stuff could be.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Would this be a warranty-covered issue? Is there any DIY directions to taking off the panels of the interior so that maybe I can wipe down the suspected area??

Any information would be helpful! thanks!

IMG_6496.jpg IMG_6497.jpg IMG_6498.jpg

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Is it on the inside of the window, and can you feel it on the surface of the glass? Kind of looks like delamination to me...if it's not on the surface but "inside" the glass that's something I'd investigate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I picked up my new 2015 Cayman, my SA told me about the possibility of fogging in the brake light area, and indicated that space is open to the cabin area, and that the fogging should dissipate once the A/C had been on for a short while, which it does on mine. So must be a known issue. Not sure what the long term implications are.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is in fact on the inside of the glass between the brake light itself and the window.

It's not liquid condensation, its crystalized. It cannot be felt from the outside, I would need to pry off the plastic pieces inside the deck lid to feel them. I'll probably bring it to the dealer and see what they can do, but any more information would be great if you have it

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Can't tell for sure in the pics - do you have aftermarket window tinting on the hatch? Might be some residue left by the installer. In that case - not a warranty issue and you might need to pay labor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts