Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just bought a used 981 with the seats which have memorys in them. Unlike some households my wife and I don't use separate key chains for each other, but rather have a set of keys for each vehicle which we each grab when we want that vehicle.

I can't seem to understand from the memory how to disable automatic adjustment of the seat whenever you open the car. I'd rather just use memory positions 1 and 2 for each of us and have nothing in 3 but I can't seem to figure out how to erase that. I did a search and couldn't find anything on that topic.

thank you

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi All,

I just bought a used 981 with the seats which have memorys in them. Unlike some households my wife and I don't use separate key chains for each other, but rather have a set of keys for each vehicle which we each grab when we want that vehicle.

I can't seem to understand from the memory how to disable automatic adjustment of the seat whenever you open the car. I'd rather just use memory positions 1 and 2 for each of us and have nothing in 3 but I can't seem to figure out how to erase that. I did a search and couldn't find anything on that topic.

thank you
That is Comfort Entry. Find it somewhere like this in your display: Vehicle > Settings > Locking > Comfort Entry. Sounds like you want it disabled.

I'm not in mine today but I'll check out the menu structure when I get home if you haven't figured it out by then.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try that, but my understanding is comfort entry is the thing that moves the seat back slightly and the steering wheel up so it's easier to get in and out. I actually like that, what I want to change is the thing where it determine seat position off of the key used, I'd rather the key just change nothing and it lets me use the memories.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but unfortunately, I think that recall seat position is tied to the comfort entry, like gremlin said. I disabled mine, and don't have that problem. But the only way to know for sure is to browse thru ALL menus, and see what you find. By the way, there's no '3rd' memory button; that's the 'key' memory, like radio settings, HVAC settings, etc. The 1 and 2 buttons are only for mirrors, seat, and steering column. Another annoyance on this car is you need to keep pressing the freaking memory button until everything changes, no matter what. On all other cars (previous and present), just clicking a memory button when opening the door is enough to initiate the change. Oh, and another annoyance: you CANNOT program the HVAC and radio NOT to come on every time you start the car... as well as the sport button staying on. So my ritual is to turn ignition on, and while the DME does its checking, I turn HVAC off, mute radio (to turn it off you have to hold the volume knob for 2 seconds), and turn sport mode on. Then proceed to start engine. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hi All,

thank you
The moving of the seat and steering wheel when opening the door is called "comfort entry" and can be disabled in the settings menu. There are two ways to store positions on the key itself. One is to manually do it using the set button and then # 3 on the door panel just like you would for slots 1 and 2. The other is to enable "Auto Memory" within the settings menu. Having this active will automatically store whatever settings were being used at the time back onto the key once you lock the door, so essentially it will overwrite the settings every time. Make sure its disabled if you dont what the key to remember anything. You and your wife can always press and hold button 1 or 2 once in the car to move the seats to another set position no matter what the situation.

There is also a hidden reset function built into the seats that you can try. Cycle the seats all the way to their max limits back/front, then go full up/down. I lost all my memory functions once and also noticed that the memory buttons no longer lit up or worked. The dealer told me to try this this process to reset everything before coming in and sure enough it worked and all went back to working normally again allowing me to start from scratch with my settings as if the car was new

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool the reset procedure was what I was after, that sounds like what I want it to do. I'll give it a go.

The other thing I was thinking was leaving the Auto Memory set and then at least once the driver had pressed 1 or 2 on the door and then locked it with the key it'll probably just go to those settings again when they unlock the car. What I don't want is for when my wife is driving it for it to always go to my position whenever the door unlocks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't think ICNU was saying that the reset disabled seat memory settings but that the reset procedure took care of restoring it when it was (somehow) lost. I'm not aware of any way to disable saving and restoring settings from the keys if you have the memory package. I can confirm that disabling Comfort Entry will not prevent this as we have it disabled and our 981 recalls settings associated with a key when unlocked with the key.

What I don't want is for when my wife is driving it for it to always go to my position whenever the door unlocks.
Another approach would be to associate the keys with her settings and then you can just use your preset when you drive. For this you'd leave Auto Memory off. Otherwise, if you recall your settings and then lock the car then your settings would be associated with the key.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really desirable to do that, It's more my car than hers so I'd be pushing the button every time I got in, but doing the reverse could work. I'm curious if I leave the auto-memory option on and we always use the same key if it'll do the "right thing"(TM) in that as you leave the car it'll just remember where the seat was put then leave it there when you un-lock. That way we can use memory 1 and 2 for each of our seat settings and not worry about it. It would be really odd if this couldn't be disabled as it seems annoying to constantly have to adjust the seat.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
OP, looks like your best bet is to activate the auto-memory. That way, either you or your wife would only have to push your respective memory button just once... if at all. Then, after locking the car, it'd remember those settings every time thereafter. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.