Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 60K service (at 57K) and the car felt great driving home.

All in my head?

I looked at the major things that were done on the work order and realized I shouldn't really be able to 'feel' any of those things, but I swear I could!

New spark plugs and a brake fluid flush and oil change were the main things, I guess you can't 'feel' those.

Oh well. :banana:

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't think it was all in your head. Having the oil changed will make a slight difference in acceleration (especially if you follow the recommended interval which in my opinion is too long... IE, go from sludge to real oil...) Spark plugs may help as well... They always made a difference to me in my other 911's but they were changed every 20,000 miles or so. My Cayman S has 40,000 on it now so I'll probably find out about that at about 50,000 miles Was the air filter was changed too? That makes a difference as well, especially at the high RPM range with open throttle.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the air filter was changed too? That makes a difference as well, especially at the high RPM range with open throttle.
It was! But the suspension also felt more supple and well damped. ;)

I put on new rear tires. It was pouring rain on the way home.

I had the air conditioning on and the heated seats. So good.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm a great believer in the Placebo Effect so without a Dyno read out, I'd write it all off to what you want to believe, but hey, given the COST of service, why not believe it feels faster? :taunt: :banana:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did they do any alignment in 60k service? My rather insensitive rear end is not able to sense minor differences in power output but even pretty minor wheel alignment work is usually detectable.

If you got new tires well aligned with proper pressures in them you certainly can feel the difference.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, given the COST of service, why not believe it feels faster? :taunt: :banana:
Thank you! Exactly.

I was doing a quick tally of my costs so far on my beloved 3 year old Cayman.

First oil change about $250
Second oil change and front pads and rotors $900
New Rear 18" Michelins $1000
60K Major Serivce (w/oil change) $1,200

Total cost $3,350. (all prices CDN$)

I'm happy with that. The mechanic was saying he has a customer with a current 911, a Mercedes and a BMW and says his Porsche is the LEAST costly to service.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Funny I TOTALLY BELIEVE my Cayman S drives faster after a nice car wash. Especially with minimal brake dust on the wheels. She just glides through the air so much cleaner. It is probably my lowest cost method to improve performance. But then again it could be all mental.:crazy:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Depending on the condition of your spark plugs at 60K I would not think it unreasonable to feel a difference when they were replaced.
+1

New plugs probably made the biggest difference.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Funny I TOTALLY BELIEVE my Cayman S drives faster after a nice car wash. Especially with minimal brake dust on the wheels. She just glides through the air so much cleaner. It is probably my lowest cost method to improve performance. But then again it could be all mental.:crazy:
I also notice how much better a car behaves with a good wash! Are we crazy or what?

Chris--

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
I notice the biggest power difference when I'm behind the wheel instead of my wife. :)
+1 this phenomenon happens with all of our cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.