Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Canadian Boxster Owner Needs AUS travel advice!

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Singletrack 
#1 ·
My wife and I are taking a long cruise from LA through the polynesian islands, around NZ and ending in Sydney arriving in October of this year

We would like to spend a few days in Sydney, and then rent a car and drive along the coast potentially all the way to Brisbane and then fly home from there. Another option would be to drive south to Melbourne and do the same thing.

My questions are:

• How many days would you recommend to see the Sydney highlights?
  • Do AUS car rental agencies allow one way rentals?
  • Can you recommend a car rental firm, possibly one which might have reasonably sporty cars available?
  • What are some of the must see things that would be in these areas

We are thinking of allowing 2-3 days in Sydney and an additional 5-7 days for the driving portion.

We have found Aussies to be delightful people in our travels elsewhere and are looking forward to experiencing a bit of your country.

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
  • How many days would you recommend to see the Sydney highlights? 4 days would be less of a rush.
  • Do AUS car rental agencies allow one way rentals? Yes they do for a one way fee. But rent and return to a city or airport rental office - they are company owned and less likely to pull some well known scams. i.e. Charging your credit card for bogus damage to the vehicle after you have left the country - take photos when you pick up and drop off the car. Avoid Red Dot and Europcar - they are known for this scam. Hertz or Thrifty are more reliable. I prefer Hertz myself.
  • Can you recommend a car rental firm, possibly one which might have reasonably sporty cars available? Hertz have Porsche Cayman and Audi R8s in their dream collection.
  • What are some of the must see things that would be in these areas. In Sydney - Manly and Bondi Beaches (avoid them on the weekends), (The Opera House, Climb the Harbour Bridge - do this on a Saturday so that you can also visit the Saturday craft markets at the Rocks which is between the two attractions), The Blue Mountains (see the three sisters) and Jenolan Caves (you can do a day trip for both).

I prefer travelling to Melbourne as the cafe culture there is a good experience, there are more small retail stores (clothes and lifestyle) and food businesses (cafes/restaurants) in Melbourne (most of which have died out in Sydney due to the high rents) - a good place to have a meal and dessert is Brunettis. https://www.timeout.com/melbourne/restaurants/brunetti

I would stop for a night or two at Bright Victoria (Bright Victoria) on the way to Melbourne. The twisty mountain roads in that area have a speed limit of 100km/hr - a great and fun way to put a Caymen though it's paces. There is a micro "Stelvio" pass that sits between Bright and Mount Beauty called the Tawonga Gap Road plus a lot of other great driving mountain roads in the area (Check out Mount Buffalo while you are there)

In Melbourne, you can drive down to Philip Island to see the fairy penguins or drive along the Great Ocean Road to see the Twelve Apostles (more like nine now that some have collapsed into the sea).
https://www.visitphillipisland.com/
Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Australia

#7 · (Edited)
Just a quick comment on the slander of Europcar in this post. Hertz is actually the company that was found guilty by Australian courts of overcharging and charging their customers for non-existent damage. I can assert that Hertz is the company known and convicted off this scam in Australia...

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/hertz-undertakes-to-refund-consumers-and-improve-damage-assessment-and-charging-practices

The internet and forums found on it can be a great place for helpful advice and for propagating hearsay and rumour.....

For good order, the CMO of Europcar is an old friend of mine, I passed on the accusation when I read it here and he contacted their MD in Australia about it....and sent me back the link.

P.S. while in Sydney, if Bondi is too crowded, make your way over to Glamarama Beach (real name: Tamarama). I do have such fond memories of "sightseeing" there when I was a younger man.

#3 ·
Thanks Triode. I'll have to do some research on driving south to Melbourne now.

I'd love to rent a Cayman, but unfortunately we will have a lot of luggage because of the 28 day cruise. Can you recommend a car available at Aussie rentals that can carry a bit of luggage, but not be a total pig to drive.

Jerry

#5 ·
If you head to Melbourne, you can head south on the Great Ocean Road which was patterned on California's Pacific Coast Highway. Great scenery, fun drive, and the only place I saw signs reminding you Australia drives on the left.:hilarious:

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Now it is time to finish the research!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.