Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ya, I cannot believe that I never even knew or realized...

I have both an 09' v6 cayenne and a 2013 v6 cayenne.

Can anyone tell me if they are GDI (direct injection) or fuel injection or the multi-port type that has both DI and FI?

I just learned that the GDI or DI collects all the terrible stuff on top of the valve and using injection cleaning doesn't help clean them.

What product do you all, anyone, someone, recommend for cleaning the intake and valves?

I can't believe that I never even realized that that was a thing... I just always assumed (and wrongly so) that they were fuel injected.

thank you,
David

· Registered
53 Posts
Anything of that vintage is definitely fuel injected. It might be port injection or direct injection. As far as I know, only Toyota, Lexus and Ford use both for each cylinder in various models. My wife's Lexus RX350 has that feature. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

· Registered
53 Posts
What I've read suggests that the Cayenne is direct injection only. That would be consistent with Porsche/VW engine architecture in recent history. You are correct in the observation that fuel additives will not assist in deposit removal from the intake valves. Among my requirements for any car we own is port fuel injection. Intake valves on DI engines can be cleaned by access through the intake manifold and careful walnut shell blasting with the piston located such that the valve on that cylinder is closed. Not my cup of tea. This is the reaction of manufacturers to comply with increasingly stringent mileage and emissions requirements.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I've read suggests that the Cayenne is direct injection only. That would be consistent with Porsche/VW engine architecture in recent history. You are correct in the observation that fuel additives will not assist in deposit removal from the intake valves. Among my requirements for any car we own is port fuel injection. Intake valves on DI engines can be cleaned by access through the intake manifold and careful walnut shell blasting with the piston located such that the valve on that cylinder is closed. Not my cup of tea. This is the reaction of manufacturers to comply with increasingly stringent mileage and emissions requirements.
Thank you

· Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
2,149 Posts
Yea there all direction injected…. And yes they have a tendency to get the carbon build up… I had a CC and I had to pick all that chit off with a tweezers…. I’m not a fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts