Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
There are some strange "which car" questions asked around here. The mustang and CS are completely different so IMO there is no comparison. The only thing they have in common is 2 doors, but that is where it stops.

If you want a sledge hammer then go with the Boss, but if you want a body working hammer then it's the Cayman.

It doesn't matter what they do with that interior in a Mustang it always looks and feels low rent.

The only bonus of the Mustang in my eyes is how cheap tuning parts are for US muscle cars.

·
Registered
992 Posts
There are some strange "which car" questions asked around here. The mustang and CS are completely different so IMO there is no comparison. The only thing they have in common is 2 doors, but that is where it stops.

If you want a sledge hammer then go with the Boss, but if you want a body working hammer then it's the Cayman.

It doesn't matter what they do with that interior in a Mustang it always looks and feels low rent.

The only bonus of the Mustang in my eyes is how cheap tuning parts are for US muscle cars.
Think you could keep up with it at a track?

New Mustangs are really throwing me for a loop. I need to test drive one of the 2012's....ASAP.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think you might be very surprised with the handling of new Boss. Car is lighter as well. Suspension tuning team has a Porsche guy (914 racer). He has been one of key people in improving Mustangs handling. He calls the Boss the M3 beater on the track. Suspect it is very fast.

Boss Mustang 302 Laguna Seca edition is more of a track car out of the box than the Cayman. Suspect it could hang with Caymans lap times on track like Laguna Seca as well.

Anyone who hasnt looked at what Ford is doing with Mustang lately might be inclined to call it a sledge hammer but that would be misinformed opinion.

Boss 5.0 spins up to 7500 RPM and makes 440 HP. It has nice sixpeed, beefed up clutch LSD with carbon fiber plates, big brembo brakes, adjustable suspension, Recaro seats, DOT R tires. All for under $40K.

Suspect older used Cayman S and this new Mustang would be very close on the track. I have never been much for saying cars are completely differnt and shouldnt be compared. Frankly on track what one car gives up is often made up by other attributes. Suspect this new track edition mustang would be very fun ride on the track and the street.

Anyone watching well sorted Mustangs in Grand Am has seen them eat up BMW's and Porsches

·
Registered
444 Posts
I sat in a new Mustang for the first time about 8 weeks ago. Just the driving position and size of the hood would be a deal breaker for me. It was like overlooking the front bow of an Olds Delta 88 (chest high). With my Cayman, I can put the front tires on a nickel sitting on the street because I can see the front corners.

From a price/performance angle, its a great buy. From a smiles per gallon angle, not so sure when there are 50 on every street. I love knowing some German guys named Ulli and Karl back in the motherland that cut their teeth building race cars for LeMans and Daytona put some of that DNA into my car. The Mustang has a lot of DNA too, but some of it comes also comes from Festivas, Contours, and Tauruses. That worries me because I know they were cutting corners somewhere. And if they cut corners where I can see, Id always wonder what corners they cut where I cant see.

Its kind of like buying a Timex or an Omega. Both tell the same time to the same accuracy, but one watch speaks to when you are, and the other speaks to who you are.

YMMV.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
I love knowing some German guys named Ulli and Karl back in the motherland that cut their teeth building race cars for LeMans and Daytona put some of that DNA into my car. The Mustang has a lot of DNA too, but some of it comes also comes from Festivas, Contours, and Tauruses. That worries me because I know they were cutting corners somewhere. And if they cut corners where I can see, Id always wonder what corners they cut where I cant see.

Its kind of like buying a Timex or an Omega. Both tell the same time to the same accuracy, but one watch speaks to when you are, and the other speaks to who you are.

YMMV.
not to hijack the OP's thread but I too counted on some of that porsche DNA until I spun a rod bearing. Had I done my homework I'd have seen a 14+ year history of engineering misadventures for this family of engines:

- porous boxter engine cases,
- IMS bearings w/ a grease seal which erodes in the environment of the crankcase.
- 4 (3?) iterations of the rear main seal ...
- and porsche walked away from the M97 engines for the M87/m97 gen 2 cars - decided not to use them any more.

i.e. basics that most engine makers would have gotten right the first time.

Seriously - had I known I'd have strengthened the internals and improved the oiling before I lost the engine to a fairly modest over-rev. $22K for a rebuild into a much stronger engine - and I'm really looking forward to that build finishing soon. I love my CS and I'm keeping it forever.

But $22K is a lot of antidote for porsche cool-aid.

If you want that race DNA, buy an M96 or M97-gen-1 turbo, gt2 or gt3 -- these have engines derived from the race-bred GT1. It's that engine with the history; us wannabes only get a troubled cousin.

That said - drive both; I haven't driven the mustang but Like the way it looks. I strongly suspect you'll find them to be two very different driving experiences.

BTW, does ford still duct some of the engine noise from under the hood into the passenger compartment (under the dash, driver's side) ?

mmmv,

-PM.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Think you could keep up with it at a track?

New Mustangs are really throwing me for a loop. I need to test drive one of the 2012's....ASAP.
Do I care?...no. I have sacrificed power for a great handling car with good feedback. At no point did I say the Mustang isn't capable, but the extra weight of it or an M3 is obvious when you drive them, and you do not get the same feedback through the wheel.

The cars do fast in different ways, but are such different cars you can't compare them.

M3, S4, Mustang, Camero, Holden, E55 are cars you would choose between just like you would the Z4, SLK, 370Z and lotus.

To mix them all up would be odd because they are different types of cars and appeal in different ways.

·
Registered
368 Posts
From a UK point of view on this side of the pond we wouldnt even consider the two side by side. OK the Mustang is only available here as an import but even then it is much cheaper than a Cayman S. The build quality and quality of the interior are poor and the basic mechanicals are archaic with its solid axle etc. Buy the Stang is you want to brag about BHP but if you really want a good car then the Porsche it is.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If power is really important to you, buy a used Cayman S and take it to TPC and have them throw a turbo in it. Almost any car would have trouble keeping up then, track or traffic light.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Cant decide. Should I go for used Cayman S or new Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition?
Perhaps you should ask yourself when you want it. The used CS is available now, while the Boss will be out "sometime" in 2011 as a 2012. Chances are good it will be in short supply and with a large mark up.

Other than that, you should get what makes you happy. Seems like you'll probably change it out for something different after a couple of years anyway...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm sure you could have predicted the responses that you're getting.

Both are cool cars IMO. You'll turn heads in both cars - those heads will be from diff't demographics. Do you care? That's up to you.

All things being equal (including the hands of a skilled driver), the numbers show that both cars will lap a road course just as quickly as the other one (e.g. Comparos w/ M3, etc). My guess is that, b/c of its purpose-built nature, the BOSS 302 would be the quicker car. Do you care about this race-oriented potential?

Some other questions you might want to ask yourself:

- If you're looking at a Gen1 CS will the lack of LSD bother you? If so, are you willing to fork over the $$ for one? Will you want to mod the CS? Is the comparative cost of those performance upgrades a concern?

- Will you find that backseat in the 'Stang useful occasionally? (Or conversely, is the lack of a backseat in the CS a deal-breaker?) In other words, would it be fun for you to bring along more than one other friend for joy rides? (I know I kind of miss that aspect just b/c I love to drive and want to occassionally share that with others or, simply, lots of times I prefer to do the driving rather than ride along in someone's econobox.)

- Do you prefer a broad powerful torque curve and big HP? Would this greatly enhance your day-to-day driving experience? Would you like knowing that you (or someone more skilled) could roast the tires or perform impressive powerslides on a whim just for fun (Not that I'd endorse such behavior)?

- Seating position, view over the hood, shifting action, steering, etc.

- Do you generally prefer a more upscale interior (Porsche)?
- What's your exterior styling preference? Mean and muscular or Elegance and curvaceousness?

Basically, you need to figure out which one will most consistently make you smile, both when you're walking up to it and when you're driving it because you're not buying this for practicality. It's kind of like music - you just know when you like a song, not from any empirical data or because of someone else's opinion - you just know when you hear it; and you should know when you're driving that car.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
The OPs second post suggests to me this is a bit of a troll. If the Mustang is so good, why not just buy it (or order it and wait?) Out at the track a few weekends ago, there was a guy driving a big 500+ HP Mustang and he came over and talked about the Cayman. Said he drove one and didn't like the push, but had fun. I think some people just like driving cars, regardless of what they are, others are particular and enjoy some cars, and hate others. Generally I'd think that a Mustang guy wouldn't enjoy a Cayman. and should stay away from it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Personally, I don't like the paint schemes that Ford has been showing with the Boss 302 Laguna Seca, but the car has great potential. Just saw a bit on it on Jay Leno's garage. Nice info. No, it's not my Cayman or a Porsche, but it is apparently a great leap forward in handling and braking for a Ford. Motor Trend said the 2011 GT5.0 is essentially equal to the new M3 in performance. The Boss 302 Laguna Seca ups the ante a bit - so who knows. Would absolutely love to drive a new Cayman S and the new Boss 302 Laguna Seca back to back on a track (you think Ford will ship one to me in Germany so we can compare it on the "Ring?"). Might surprise all of us. Trade in my Porsche for it? Probably not. Buy one as a semi-dedicated weekend warrior? Maybe so!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am honestly trying to decide. And I do see these cars for my purposes being very much in same ballpark. I want daily driver that I can drag to track, AX and hillclimbs. Both cars have pluses and minuses.

Mustang for me has bold appearence and the Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition is much closer to a track ready car than a used Cayman S. Mustang has all the race bits covered under new car warranty as well. High reving track tested 440 HP V8, LSD with carbon fiber discs, big Brembo brakes, adjustable Bilstein shocks, track inspired spring rates and swaybars, rear seats removed with cross brace installed, Recaro race seats, front splitter, DOT R tires standard. Europe hasnt seen this car yet. The few of these racing in 2010 season are kicking P car butt. And when you watch incar from Grand Am series they arent giving up much in the turns to Porsches and BMW's. Thing about Grand Am is cars are still fairly close to production specs with suspension tuning etc.

I'm a 35 year Porsche owner and enthusist so its not that I havent had my share of time behind wheel of a Porsche. I could debate some peoples insistance that Porsche offers better quality expereince. Having owned two Boxsters, a 911 and 3 914's I know better than to claim Porsche has better quality than Ford. Never forget heading up to turn 2 at Infineon raceway in my 1999 Boxster and having motor completely let loose due to a botched retrofit cylinder sleave Porsche factory installed in my cars motor. Or multiple RMS leaks in my other Boxster. But no denying a Mustang isnt going to equal Caymand razor like handling. But on track and street razor handling can be greatly overrated and becomes more of an emotional attachment than a true performance enhancer.

I have to consider used Cayman will likely have most of its warranty used up and things like added LSD and other required track bits wont be under warranty like the Ford.

I have to also consider that I'm stepping out of a 2000 lb Boxster race car that would make a Cayman S feel like a fat pig to me on track as well. The Mustang and Cayman will probably feel closer than my Boxster would to a stockish Cayman. Having 440 HP on the track is a 100 HP plus difference that even razor like handling from Cayman wont overcome.

Mustang certainly has that heavy metal boy racer appeal which probably is tough for me to pull off while the Cayman certainly has some stigmas assoicated with new Porsche ownership assoicated with it. You know if you show up in a Cayman most people think you have no idea how to drive or work on the car and that youre driving it as a status symbol.

Definitely appereciate all the feedback its got me thinking about both cars even more.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Cant decide. Should I go for used Cayman S or new Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition?

Do both. Bought my used Cayman S last November and looking forward to the new Boss as well. It will be a good match to my '70 Boss even though I'm not entirely thrilled with the paint schemes being shown on the new ones. Present timetable being quoted is Spring 2011 release as a 2012 model.

The new one should be well into the 12's in the 1/4 mile with 440+ HP but do not underestimate the cornering abilities. Sure they'll be heavier than a Cayman but that does not necessarily detract from the fun.

Why do so many people think that only one type of car will scratch all of your itches? Variety is the spice...

spm, cpaa

·
Registered
204 Posts
Phat B, sounds like you're looking for a no-compromises street-legal track car, so buy the Boss 302. Period. That's what the car was designed to be and it's marketed towards serious drivers (or those that at least like the idea of having a racecar in the garage).

I'm sure you'd agree that this was NOT the design intention for the Cayman S. Obviously there are aftermarket parts that could make the CS much quicker but, as you stated, they wouldn't be covered by a factory warranty.

In terms of what you're looking for, it seems the answer is pretty clear. Personally, I'd love to have one as a second (or third) car!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Qualifier: Not a muscle car fan. LOVE my Cayman S

Ever since Bullit I have a soft spot for Mustangs. Who can deny the ebauiful note of that dual exhaust and Steve's lightning fast double clutch shifts. Were those Craiger rims?

IMHO if you had to own an american performance car. I think the Boss may be the one.

Do you guys think the new Boss will hold value?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts