Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posed this question a couple of weeks ago but I still can't seem to resolve it in my mind. I recently bought a new Cayman which came with the 17" wheels. The dealer has offered to swap them for 18" Cayman S wheels for $1200. I know there may be some additional weight with the larger tires but am I going to see any noticable impact on acceleration with the 2.9 engine? Any significant rougness of ride with 18" vs 17". I guess basically it boils down to an appearance issue for me in wanting the 18s. Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Most likely seat of the pants you will not be able to tell any difference in acceleration. The 18's will ride a bit rougher, but you need to lose the 17"ers, they just look funny. IMHO $1,200 is a deal do it, better yet buy Champion forged wheels, about $6,000. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Get the 18s and some spacers to make that car look proper. By carefully picking tires, the ride may not suffer. Do a search here for relevant threads.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Get the 18s and some spacers to make that car look proper. By carefully picking tires, the ride may not suffer. Do a search here for relevant threads.
First the 18" wheels look better on the car. But as you choose, consider how hard or easy to clean them. I have 19s that look great but have lots of nooks and crannies to gather brake dust. IMHO. Ed

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First the 18" wheels look better on the car. But as you choose, consider how hard or easy to clean them. I have 19s that look great but have lots of nooks and crannies to gather brake dust. IMHO. Ed
I'm with you on the cleaning. My wife has a 335 and the wheels are a real pain in the butt to clean. It takes as long to clean the wheels as the entire rest of the car and that's with three different brushes that I have aquired. The 17" wheels are a real joy to clean in comparison. I'm thinking about using my wheel budget for the Sport Exhaust. The dealer has agreed to do the exhaust for around $2K installed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think 18" wheels look...and function better than the 17" without all the downside of the 19" in terms of ride quality...

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
18 Cayman S wheels are not bad to clean. They are underrated IMO from a lot of people that do upgrade to the 19"s, but again, this is probably a personal choice. I would agree that the difference in performance will be a lot less noticeable than the cosmetic differences. I wold get what you think looks best, and fits your budget. You can put wooden stagecoach wheels on it and it would still be a great-looking car.

·
Registered
620 Posts
..... I'm thinking about using my wheel budget for the Sport Exhaust. The dealer has agreed to do the exhaust for around $2K installed.
Personally, I'd buy aftermarket 18s for say $1500, and have both, or sell the 17s and recoup say $800 - net cost ~700. 18s will not ride much rougher or slow acceleration (lighter aftermarket could actually increase it). Then, I'd use the $500 savings (over trading for OEM wheels) towards a good aftermarket exhaust. The OEM Sport Exhaust does not add any power - aftermarket can add ~20 hp. Once all 46(?) of the group-buy SpeedArt exhausts get here, some here will no-doubt start trading exhausts to suit final tastes. Good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, you'd also have to buy new tires, and sell your take-off ones, but the principle remains the same. Good luck.
Thanks for everyones input. Very helpful. I was about to point out the additional tire expense myself.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I believe it was a recent Car and Driver mag that had a comparison of different size rims and had some interesting findings. Nothing too surprising. The added weight of larger wheels comes at a cost (incorporating some personal experience and what I remember from the article):
  • Added tire costs
  • Harsher ride
  • Gas mileage decrease
  • Slower 0-60 times

It assumes that larger rims are heavier than the smaller rims which isn't always true.

-Moto

1 - 14 of 14 Posts