Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't look like I can snag a GT4 any time soon -- so I just casually started thinking about GT3s...a totally different animal, I know...but started to get excited the more I read about it and the more videos I watched and re-watched...so I looked around for any that might be out there on the market (clearly not possible to order anymore) and stumbled upon a near perfect (for me) configuration 2015 GT3 that someone ordered but bailed and didn't take when it arrived and is sitting on a dealership showroom floor...I put a deposit down over the phone this afternoon. WTF...am I crazy? I have until close of business to make a final decision -- devil on my shoulder says "you only live once, go for it!" angel on my other shoulder is saying "you're stupid, you already have an awesome car not even 7 months old"

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quite the dilemma!

Oh, and --

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
499 Posts
well if you don't mind the PDK, and you aren't going bankrupt from the purchase. Sure

·
Registered
478 Posts
Some people buy cars like shoes or watches. I am not one of those people - so it is very hard for me to advocate swapping cars each year / often. I have a neighbor who does this. I cannot say it is right or wrong - I would have loved to have experienced half of the cars he has owned the last 4 years. If you don't care about the money impact from flipping cars, then I see no problem here. Enjoy the hell out of it.

If you kick yourself because you will lose $10k - feel like you did not do your homework well enough - or will now take on additional debt...then maybe you need to do some soul searching before pulling the trigger.

If something bring you happiness and you have the means - just do it, but don't be a puss and regret your decisions.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
DSC_0006.JPG You only live once. GT3 is amazing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the insights guys -- much appreciated. I was planning to pay cash, but after talking it over a bit, I just decided to pass and hang on to my GTS -- if a GT4 allocation does end up coming around, I'll grab one. I just got too excited and jumped the gun when I found a brand new untitled 2015 GT3 in an almost perfect configuration. I am just about to break ground on a custom house and that's ultimately what made me come to my senses -- custom home building ALWAYS goes over budget, and honestly I have no business spending that kind of extra cash at this point in time with all of the house-related expenses that will inevitably be coming up...I'm normally pretty rational and level-headed with this kind of thing, but damn that car really sucked me in. It was nice enough today to drive my CGTS, so I will take the long way home and hit some twisty back roads to help me forget about the GT3. Here is the car, just FYI: 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 Guards Red | Rancho Mirage, California | Porsche of Rancho Mirage

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,861 Posts
Glad you came to your (financial) senses -- Porsche sure does build some terrific cash lures. There's no question the GT3 is an amazing car, but you already have an amazing car! It reminds me of a line from that Sheryl Crowe song, Soak up the Sun: "It's not getting what you want/It's wanting what you've got." Enjoy your new ride, and your new home...it sure sounds like you're doing OK.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Croc'ed...yes, things are going great these days, sometimes need a reminder to appreciate what we already have; I will enjoy the 981 GTS and stay focused on the house project (which includes a nice big garage...it dictated the entire design of the house!) If I'm lucky enough to get a GT4 allocation on the next round, I'll pull the trigger...until then, spring is here and I will pile some miles on the GTS with the exhaust valves wide open.

Glad you came to your (financial) senses -- Porsche sure does build some terrific cash lures. There's no question the GT3 is an amazing car, but you already have an amazing car! It reminds me of a line from that Sheryl Crowe song, Soak up the Sun: "It's not getting what you want/It's wanting what you've got." Enjoy your new ride, and your new home...it sure sounds like you're doing OK.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just checked out the link you provided. That's a very nicely optioned GT-3 that for a change is not priced over sticker. And did I mention that it has Race bucket seats. If I had the cash, I would be on the phone with them now, lol

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I'm too cheap to upgrade my 06 CS, much less bat in this league, although to each his own. If my motor blows I'll go 3.8 and keep my near classic. Plus the 06S is actually a less complex car I can actually work on, good for older guys. But that GT3 is bada$$
Enjoy that GTS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
What do you think about the large wings on GT3/4? I pretty much drive mine every day and am not sure I can deal with that. I love the looks for sure, but it seems a bit over the top, for me anyway - 50 year old professional running a decent sized business. Maybe I'm paranoid but I get enough stares in the Cayman S! As 981FTW says, if these are our biggest problems we are doing ok! :)

Agree we are not talking this level of over the top! http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photos/25-ridiculously-stupid-car-spoiler

·
Registered
245 Posts
What do you think about the large wings on GT3/4? I pretty much drive mine every day and am not sure I can deal with that. I love the looks for sure, but it seems a bit over the top, for me anyway - 50 year old professional running a decent sized business. Maybe I'm paranoid but I get enough stares in the Cayman S! As 981FTW says, if these are our biggest problems we are doing ok! :)
Do you plan to drive the car every day? To me I'd consider the GT wings over the top if they weren't actually functional and totally balanced. That changes how I look at those.

Of course I won't drive mine every day and the garage at work has *much* more interesting cars than a GT4. In general, I don't worry about any of my cars getting too much attention around here. I would probably feel differently about a yellow GT4 if I lived and worked in a place without ferraris and mclaren's and so on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Seen the GT3RS yet? Came out on the configurator today. The videos are kind of cool too.

(Gasoline on the fire)

:cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts